No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My bike ran for 30 seconds with no leaks. Tomorrow I will try it properly.
    GS1000G 1981

Comment

Originally posted by Noreg View Post
      My bike ran for 30 seconds with no leaks. Tomorrow I will try it properly.
      Yeah, 30 seconds is not enough time to build up much pressure.
      Current Bikes:
      2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Tried starting my bike today, with the gas tank. It does not really run, and there is gas coming out of the airbox.

I think I flooded the engine by using the starter with no enough choke for too long (I routed the gas line in the way of the choke at the first attempt).

I managed to keep it going for a bit by holding the throttle.

I wonder if I can wait a bit and then try to roll start it?

It sputters a bit like when its cold, but never quite starts now.

Sound is also somewhat off I think.
        GS1000G 1981

Comment

"gas line" = Throttle Cable?
          Rich
          1982 GS 750TZ
          2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
          Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
            "gas line" = Throttle Cable?
            No, fuel hose. I put it on the wrong side of the choke things.
            GS1000G 1981

Comment

Originally posted by ddaniels View Post
              Yeah, 30 seconds is not enough time to build up much pressure.
              Is there any pressure up there anyway? Seems like the breather would release any built up pressure. Maybe after a lengthy ride with oil splashing around in there would be more revealing if it was to leak.
              Roger

Current rides
              1983 GS 850G
              2003 FJR 1300A
              Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

I think I attached my fuel line to the wrong thing? No idea what the thing I attached it to is for... It was between carb one and two. Fit decently with the fuel hose.

I think this could explain all my troubles.

But I am not entirely sure where to put the fuel line now, I think I need to take the carbs out...

Edit: I attached the fuel line to "Vent T", no idea what that does.
                GS1000G 1981

Comment

Originally posted by Noreg View Post
                  Edit: I attached the fuel line to "Vent T", no idea what that does.
                  Evidently, if fills your airbox with fuel. Fuel line goes to a T on the back side of the carbs between 2 & 3. The T's on the back side between 1 & 2 and between 3 & 4 should have vent hoses attached to them and those hoses' open ends should remain open, in still air probably somewhere up on top of your air filter box. Then there should be a nipple on the front side of carb #2 which gets vacuum hose from the petcock. Think I got all that right.
                  Rich
                  1982 GS 750TZ
                  2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
                    Evidently, if fills your airbox with fuel. Fuel line goes to a T on the back side of the carbs between 2 & 3. The T's on the back side between 1 & 2 and between 3 & 4 should have vent hoses attached to them and those hoses' open ends should remain open, in still air probably somewhere up on top of your air filter box. Then there should be a nipple on the front side of carb #2 which gets vacuum hose from the petcock. Think I got all that right.
                    I attached the hose to where it should be, and am happy to report the bike runs as expected. Normal sound, a bit of white exhaust and its dripping gas from the carbs somewhere, but not entirely sure if its a remnant of the previous mistalation or something else entirely.

I ran it for far longer now, and reved it and it did not visibly leak oil, so I think the gasket is a success.

Not sure why its so much white smoke, but I figure it might be moisture in the oil, or oil in cylinders, or something. I need to go ride it for a bit to see if it stops.

So routing the fuel through Vent T is apparently not a good modification, at least if you want your bike to run. But its an excellent way to clean the air filter and make your driveway rainbow coloured if it rains.

My neighbors probably thinks Im certifiable standing outside in the pouring rain trying to get the bike running...
                    GS1000G 1981

Comment

I wrote more in your new thread. https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...4-Fuel-in-vent
                      I'd say try to keep the problem related stuff out of this thread. Too hard to track progress as your issue get's broken up by other posts that don't have anything to do with your issue. Glad you got it sorted.
                      Rich
                      1982 GS 750TZ
                      2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Mr Hedges stopped by today and we changed his valve cover gasket. It was great to meet another GSR member, have lunch, and share some garage time.

We gave his bike a quick bath before working on it so the drips underneath are just water.

20200830_091016 by Roger, on Flickr

He also talked me out of some GS mirrors and some other bits he needed for his bike. We could have spent all day working on things.

20200830_140834 by Roger, on Flickr
                        Roger

Current rides
                        1983 GS 850G
                        2003 FJR 1300A
                        Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Great post, Roger.
                          Proof again of what an excellent site this is.
                          2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Roger, thanks for representing TheGSR so well.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                            GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Started putting my GS550T back together now that Charmayne's is running again. This just meant putting the carburetors back on, tightening up a couple of odd pieces I removed to help troubleshoot hers, and re-installing the petcock. Now to get a new battery for it and I should have it back on the road this month I hope.
                              Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                              1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                              2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                              Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                              and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Took a cruise to Niagara on Sunday. On the way home, people started flashing headlights and a nice rider gave me the headlight wave. At first I assumed they didn't like my brights. Eventually, my synapses fired a little and we stopped to check my headlight. Turned out I had nothing... So I followed close behind my wife on the Pocket Hawg until it got a little dark, then abandoned the GS650G in Barcelona, NY. We rode the last hour home, two up on the GZ. (That little bike did much better than I expected.)

We trailered the GS home yesterday.

Today I dug in a little. I started at the headlight bucket in search of 12V. Spent a little time squirelling around inside the multi-function switch. Eventually swam my way upstream to the fuse box where the 10A headlight fuse looked great. Closer inspection revealed corrosion hidden inside the end cap. I swapped with blinker fuse and had both headlights again!

I guess if I were thinking I could have taken care of that on the road. Now I have some spare fuses in the travel bag and will soon have a halogen headlamp.

Has anyone else seen a glass fuse fail in a non-visible manner?

Cheers, Alan
                                '82 GS650G 27k
                                '00 GZ250 5k "Pocket Hawg"
                                ('98 GS500E 18k, new project - moved on to new home)
                                '98 GSF1200 39k, new project, fixed the blown out spark plug, waiting on time
                                '05 Moto Guzzi Nevada 750IE (the Pocket Hawg's days are numbered)

Comment

Working...
                                X