Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lurch. What kind of rocket is that ? And what is the display about ? Great tag ! This is the best I could come up with.

Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
    Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
    1983 GS 750

Comment

That thing is cool, whatever it is...
      '83 GS 1100T
      The Jet

sigpic
      '95 GSXR 750w
      The Rocket

I'm sick of all these Irish stereotypes! When I finish my beer, I'm punching someone in the face ! ! !

Comment

Here's a little blurb on what it is. Sadly the city has let the square become overgrown and rundown.

A 12-foot-long stylized rocket ship made of bronze and stainless steel sits on top of an 11-foot-high stainless steel base. The design of the rocket ship looks like a 1950s Hollywood movie space ship. The design was originally created in 1936 for the Sheet Metal Workers Local 280 float for the Pacific National Exhibition Jubilee Parade on the occasion of the City of Vancouver's 50th birthday. It was designed by Lew Parry and made into a sculpture, built by Neon Products, which was sited at the first Vancouver Air Terminal from 1939 to 1972 when it was scrapped because of rust. In 1985 the Vancouver Transportation Club and the Sheet Metal Workers Union 280 decided to build a replica to celebrate Vancouver's 100th birthday. They located Lew Parry and he still had the original plans. This time the rocketship was built from more durable materials by Terminal Sheet Metal and the Local 280 metal workers. The Rocket was exhibited at Expo 86 and then donated to the city. It was moved by helicopter to it's current site. A Centennial Time Capsule is housed in the base of the rocket, scheduled to be opened 50 years from 1986. It includes items such as an Expo 86 passport with stamps of all the pavilions and recorded messages from local celebrities and many other things. The City accepted the Centennial Rocket and a site was found for it in the small plaza at the SW end of the Cambie Street bridge. -information from the website of SMW280 Artist Statement: 1985 version: "Presented to the citizens of Vancouver, this rocket is to commemorate the Centennial and the celebration of Expo 86 World's Exposition. This rocket is a symbol of the role played by craftsmanship and transportation in the growth of Vancouver." (from the plaque on the east side of the base)
        Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
        1983 GS 750

Comment

Originally posted by bccap View Post
          Lurch. What kind of rocket is that ? And what is the display about ? Great tag ! This is the best I could come up with.
          My rocket tag was the Mercury Redstone, MR7 Freedom 7, that took the first human, Alan Shepherd from NH into space in 1961. It now sits at the Christa McAuliffe Planetarium in Concord, NH. She was the teacher selected from Concord for the mission and killed in the space shuttle Challenger explosion in 1986.

Your rocket pic looks like something from a 1950's sc-fi flick and is kind of cool!

Comment

I was thinking about making this pic I took today a tag, but the 1000G doesn't do well in the back woods.

Comment

Hah, hah. I was thinking the same thing a couple of weeks ago .Spread a bunch sugar cubes around the bike, sit back and wait a few minutes.
              1983 GS 750

Comment

Originally posted by lurch12_2000 View Post
                I was thinking about making this pic I took today a tag, but the 1000G doesn't do well in the back woods.

They handle marginally OK in deep sand and loose gravel.

Eric
                Last edited by Guest; 07-07-2012, 03:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bccap View Post

That alone would have been a perfect tag, and it would have sufficed for a tag after I posted my mystery tag, which now of course, I'm not going to, I knew we were getting close to spoiling it, I'll get a pic of it anyway when I can, but I was going to post any sci-fi movie or ufo fictional lifesize aircraft, we have a full size x-wing star wars fighter at a restaurant and even (now closed) spaceship restaurant, looks like the JupiterII from lost in space...oh well.

Comment

Bccap, that looks like the old toys that they used to have sparklers in the tail of on the old Flash Gordon movies.
                    They show it in the first few seconds of this link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B707Ava4wrY
                    Is it a Flash Gordon tribute of some kind?

Eric

Comment

Its sort of gold, its sort of a dome....

Chardon, Ohio. Original Courthouse in the town square.

Comment

New Tag: Solar panels on a roof.

Solar panels on a rooftop.

Comment

I might be able to find some of those around here today.

Eric

Comment

Nice one Adam, glad to see your back in the saddle.

Comment

Originally posted by old_skool View Post
                              Nice one Adam, glad to see your back in the saddle.
                              Now if I can just get past Child custody issues, Potential foreclosure, Just getting fired, a herniated disc, Adhd, And depression..... Maybe I can finish my 1100! Lol

All true btw!..... I was sure the 2012 was going to be a phenomenal year! Lol
                              Last edited by Guest; 07-08-2012, 12:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by loud et View Post
                                Its sort of gold, its sort of a dome....

Chardon, Ohio. Original Courthouse in the town square.

Hey, is that the clock tower building that Marty McFly launched Doc's DeLorean "back to the future" ?

Comment

Working...
                                X