Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
    I think that's actually pretty cool.
    I bet you could make your own now you've seen the picture.
    "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
    1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
    1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
    1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
      Ape hangers was a genius idea! Popular with the regressive hominoid.

WW2 era Brockhouse Corgi Motorcycle Parts or Repair. Price:US $1,400.00
      I thought this looked like the bikes they dropped with the British Para's in WW2 but not quite.It's the post war civilian version of the Airbornes Welbike. Bet a WW2 version my be worth a bit more

Comment

What, the Nazi's were expected to laugh them selves to death when they saw Brit paratroops attacking on these?
        "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)

Comment

Those handlebars look like they flip down and back for transport.
          .....or flip them forward and down and you have raked out chopper forks. Ha

Comment

Asd a trained historian I am always intrigued by something I have never seen before, especially when it is a machine.

This is a fascinating piece of motorcycling history...

From Wikipedia (which I hate to use as a primary source but in this case...)

The Corgi Motorcycle Co Ltd. was a British motorcycle manufacturer based in Southport that produced 98 cc scooters developed by managing director John Dolphin from the military Welbike motorcycle.[1] Production of the Corgi scooter for the UK market began in 1948 and 27,050 were manufactured before production ended in October 1954

The main difference between the Corgi scooter and the Welbike were that frame was more solid (as weight was no longer such an issue) and the Corgi had a fuel tank in the normal motorcycle position between the handlebars and the saddle. Both were otherwise very similar with small wheels and folding handlebars and seat. Both had 98 cc two-stroke engine with a single gear. The original Corgi scooter was started by pushing, but the Mark 2 was fitted with a kick start and two clutches – a conventional handlebar operated clutch and a "dog-clutch" operated by folding down the right hand footrest to engage the rear wheel, to enable the Corgi to be kick-started and run whilst stationary

Brockhouse Engineering of Southport built Corgi scooters, powered by an Excelsior Spryt Autocycle engine)[2] under licence. Many of these were exported to the United States between 1947 to 1954. Sold through a department store, the Corgi was branded the Indian Papoose in the US market.[5] Production of the Corgi scooter for the UK market began in 1948. 27,050 were manufactured before production ended in October 1954

A Brockhouse Corgi owners' club was restarted in 2011 for everyone interested in the machine. Its aim was to assist owners restore their Corgis and to inform other interested parties of the machine's history.

1984 GS1150ES (finally arrived, more to come...)
            1989 Dodge Dakota (the perfect Oregon work truck)
            1980 Sears "Free Spirit" bicycle (original patina and everything!)
            1978 "The Executive" RV (vintage like its owner)

How can I be in two places at once when i'm not anywhere at all?

Can I double park in a parallel universe?

Comment

Get the red one running and ride!! DO NOT RESTORE,,,
              TOO COOL!!!

Comment

Like many other classic devices, I believe they look cool instantly because they were designed to do a particular job and at some level that strikes a chord. It's like we can tell the difference between a true machine and a fashion statement on sight.
                Is it my imagination or is there a big difference in final gearing between the two in the picture ?
                Flyers feel the need.................................
                97 R1100R
                Previous
                80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
                  What, the Nazi's were expected to laugh them selves to death when they saw Brit paratroops attacking on these?
                  "Fast Personal Mobility on the Battlefield."
                  Only thing was, the first plough rut or French pothole would have them ar£e over tyt and sprawled on the ground.
                  Another Glorious Failure.
                  ---- Dave
                  79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                  80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                  79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                  92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by fred smailes View Post
                    Get the red one running and ride!! DO NOT RESTORE,,,
                    TOO COOL!!!
                    Agreed. This is exactly why my old scooter will never be restored...
                    sigpic
                    When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                    -Rusty old scooter.
                    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                    https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

They would be useful scootering around a large military base or airfield.
                      Useless off road.
                      Can't imagine any rank riding one in dress uniform.

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
                        "Fast Personal Mobility on the Battlefield."
                        Only thing was, the first plough rut or French pothole would have them ar£e over tyt and sprawled on the ground.
                        Another Glorious Failure.
                        I dunno about that. WWII wasn't a trench war and Roads were very important in the European theater. Having a compact way to utilize them could be very useful .
                        I think the German army was fond of bicycles rushing through Belgium- it only looked funny for a short while.

Comment

Well, after 75 years these still look funny.
                          The Brits have a great sense of humor, with far too many comedians to count.

Comment

They were supposed to be use by messengers during the first few days after D-day to go between headquarters and command posts in the rear areas before telephone lines and the long range radio nets were set up.

Comment

I think they would be cool riding around a motorcycle show or swap meet. Makes a statement and you can get around large areas in style (plus carry parts you find.)

I could see John Cleese riding one as a English officer in full dress. Now that would be funny.
                              1984 GS1150ES (finally arrived, more to come...)
                              1989 Dodge Dakota (the perfect Oregon work truck)
                              1980 Sears "Free Spirit" bicycle (original patina and everything!)
                              1978 "The Executive" RV (vintage like its owner)

How can I be in two places at once when i'm not anywhere at all?

Can I double park in a parallel universe?

Comment

The original "pit bike".

Comment

Working...
                                X