No announcement yet.

anyone go for a ride today? Pics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, this was Thursday, not today. This was up at the Nanoose Bay Chevron on Vancouver Island.

Kevin
    E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
    "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
    Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

Originally posted by mcycle-nut View Post
      Well, this was Thursday, not today. This was up at the Nanoose Bay Chevron on Vancouver Island.

2022 Suzuki GSX-S1000GT
      2007 Triumph Bonneville T100 w/sidecar

2005 Suzuki Hayabusa

Dave

Comment

One half of the attendees at the WV rally this year.......

Comment

MrBill,

Thanks for the pictures. The close up of the road runner really brought home what that piece is about.

cg
          sigpic
          83 GS1100g
          2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Originally posted by Eli69 View Post
            we loaded up the 1000G for a picnic at letchworth park yesterday. all this stuff fit on the bike.
            The fire pot too...?

Seeing the balloon must have been fun.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
            GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
              Took a ride on Hiway 28 between Las Cruces and El Paso.
              The mighty Rio Grande!
              Parked next to a blooming Pima cotton field, the green and red trap is what I inspect on a weekly basis. .
              A nice 130 mile loop, it was 105 when I got in at 3:45.
              Great ride pictures.
              Scenery, the road, the bike. Really gives good idea of what the ride was like.

You check the bug traps weekly; meaning you like to go for ride and stop there just to see..? Or that is related to your work..?
              I recall have seen some of those in a suburban parking lot, and not having any idea what they were, so walked up and looked inside ... was quite a surprise. I suppose if had been in a agricultural setting I would have better guessed.

With my understanding, if crossing the RIo Grand you are also crossing something else. Maybe I need to consult a map.

When I read "105" (degreesF), esch, I had to go back and look at pictures again, as if I had not really got a good idea of what the ride was like.... and it all seemed different looking at pics the 2nd time.

Last edited by Redman; 07-20-2014, 08:02 AM.

GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                Great ride pictures.
                With my understanding, if crossing the RIo Grand you are also crossing something else. Maybe I need to consult a map.
                It depends on the part of the country you are in Red as the Rio is part of the border between the US and Mexico but then takes a turn north and runs up through Albuquerque and Santa Fe; its headwaters are actually in Colorado
                Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                  Great ride pictures.
                  Scenery, the road, the bike. Really gives good idea of what the ride was like.

You check the bug traps weekly; meaning you like to go for ride and stop there just to see..? Or that is related to your work..?
                  I recall have seen some of those in a suburban parking lot, and not having any idea what they were, so walked up and looked inside ... was quite a surprise. I suppose if had been in a agricultural setting I would have better guessed.

When I read "105" (degreesF), esch, I had to go back and look at pictures again, as if I had not really got a good idea of what the ride was like.... and it all seemed different looking at pics the 2nd time.

I work for a cotton farmer's association. We run a cotton pest eradication program for the farmers. Our main pest is the boll weevil and pink boll worm moth. The top trap (green one) is for boll weevils and the red delta trap is for the moth. I check over 500 traps in a 3 county area here. And that is just my part besides my office stuff.

Nope just the Rio Grande. reason is it so straight in that pic is because the Army corp of Engineers channelized it back in the in the mid 30's? not sure right now, would have too look it up. The river is our main source of water for the farmers. In order to save water they had to take out all the river bends and twisties. So it is very straight in several areas.

Yeah this part of New Mexico is in the northern part of the Chihuahuan desert. It is classified as a high desert 3,000ft+. Here in Cruces we are about 3,8000/3,9000ft in altitude. And does get hot here, June is typically our hottest month with temps as high 118, July can at times can be just as hot. So anything from 100 to 105 is about the norm, though with many days in the upper 90's.
                  sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                  1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                  2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                    It depends on the part of the country you are in Red as the Rio is part of the border between the US and Mexico but then takes a turn north and runs up through Albuquerque and Santa Fe; its headwaters are actually in Colorado
                    Yup, when the river hits Texas it becomes part of the border. The head waters for the river start in Creede, Colo. There is only one major damn on the Rio Grande that is Elephant Butte lake in TorC NM. There is a smaller damn down river though it is used to catch a lot of the sediment before being release in the river again. Lots of fighting between NM, Texas and Mexico for water from the Rio Grande. Come sometime in late August or in Sept they will shut the head gates at the damn to stop the flow and let the lake recharge over the winter and spring run off. In about 30 days the river will be dry during that time.

I just got that last part of Cowboy's comment. The Rio Grande pretty much runs from North to South. When it reaches Alamosa, CO, it turns south and continues on that track just west of Taos, Santa Fe, runs dang near through the middle of Albuquerque till it hits Elephant Butte dam in TorC NM. Never turns north. From there south into Texas then about El Paso takes a southeasternly direction to the Gulf. Sometimes the river never makes it to the gulf. By the time Texas and Mexico take their share it can be just a trickle then.
                    Last edited by mrbill5491; 07-21-2014, 01:56 AM.
                    sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                    1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                    2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

MY brother is up from Florida for a week so today we took the bikes out for a 300+ km trip up to Loon Lake SK.

It started raining when we got there so we didn't get to see all the lakes but we stayed long enough to have lunch at The Lakehouse restaurant.
                      Last edited by Guest; 07-25-2014, 08:09 PM.

Comment

I went for a long Sunday ride.
                        I went for lunch at this new food truck called The Kraken.

I then decided to take a spontaneous trip to one of our gulf islands. I decided to go to salt spring island.
                        45 mins in the trip I realized the boat was not heading to Saltspring and I realized to took the wrong ferry. This ferry was heading to Saturna Island. Oh well, I've never been to Saturna before.
                        I had a good time except I had to wait until 9:30 pm for the ferry to arrive.

I just wanted to say HI!

Comment

Great pictures Hammer, funny story about the wrong ferry. Oh well, all part of the adventure. I haven't been to Saturna Island yet either, looks like I had better make that happen.
                          Rob
                          1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                          Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Way to go Andrew! And thanks for the invite..we will do a ride soon.
                            No signature

Comment

Originally posted by Steel Toed Tank View Post
                              MY brother is up from Florida for a week so today we took the bikes out for a 300+ km trip up to Loon Lake SK.

Nice posting of a good story of brothers getting together. Does your bother know his brother is "Steel Toed Tank"...?

You have to loan him the jacket along with the bike....?
                              (him being from Florida)

Comment

As they still had the primary road I take to work closed for sidewalk repairs, I chose to ride down by the river this morning

And saw this heron sitting out there (sorry for the zoom but best I can get with the phone)

Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                                1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                                2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                                Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                                and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Working...
                                X