anyone go for a ride today? Pics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
    Agreed, that's a fine looking G. Viperg (pic attached) has a really nice one also that is very similarly set up.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]43687[/ATTACH]
    Thanks for sharing Dorkburger. I built my bike from the Motorcyclist story that Nick Ienatsch wrote up in the mid 80's on how to build your own Cooley, I still have the mag. I originally wanted the real deal and it took me 30 years to find one. But, in the mean time my 1100G Cooley clone has served me well.

Love the original project bike and glad to see it saved... such a cool bike.

My last ride of the season on the G when the leaves were turning.
    1982 1100G - 1979 1000SN Cooley #703 - 1982 Kawasaki ELR#337 - 1982 Katana 1000SZ (X3) #769, #872, #1963 - 1983 1100E mid-night blue (X2) - Ducati 907ie - 1976 GT750 Bad Buffalo

Comment

Lovely shade of blue!
      Just for something to think about, why did you choose a shaft drive for a performance build?
      "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
      1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
      1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
      1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Today's conditions here in CH allowed for a few short rides. After a rainy week, the streets around here finally got a chance to dry off a bit during the last few days, and the temperature rose high enough for the remaining wet spots to not freeze up. Forgot to take pictures...next time.
        #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
        #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
        #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
        #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
          Lovely shade of blue!
          Just for something to think about, why did you choose a shaft drive for a performance build?
          Thanks! I painted the bike 1992 Dodge Viper Blue and white in 1997. I figured why not make a custom "copy" of a copy instead of trying to make it a replica of something that it is not. Make sense?

Well... as I stated in the earlier post Bill, I built the bike I had when the Motorcyclist article came out in the Mid-80's on "how to build a Cooley rep" with the unassuming and more available 1100G. I purchased my 1100G new as a hold over in the 80's. It was difficult to find a 1000S in my area back in the day so the article by Ienatsch lead the way. When I finally built my bike in the mid 90's I already had put 30,000 miles on it and the shaft was dead reliable, still is. On the street with the Works upgrades the G handles great and flat smokes my original 79 Cooley.

I do have the Raask rear-sets as the article had, but I prefer the standard peg/control placement for sport touring. The bike now has over 100,000 miles with only valve adjustments, valve stem seals, 1 clutch plate set, and plug wires. I have run the MIC VM29 smoothies for the past 20 years and they made a huge performance difference. I am lucky enough to own numerous big bore GS's (including several 16 valves) at this stage to ride and compare. Still love the 1100G though, my first GS!

Wish I could go for a ride now, but it's cold here in northern IN.
          1982 1100G - 1979 1000SN Cooley #703 - 1982 Kawasaki ELR#337 - 1982 Katana 1000SZ (X3) #769, #872, #1963 - 1983 1100E mid-night blue (X2) - Ducati 907ie - 1976 GT750 Bad Buffalo

Comment

Lovely, Maybe this spring I can ride over and have a look see? I'm in New Buffalo MI.

Took a cool ride today in balmy 32º.
            Michigan City Indiana:
            "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
            1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
            1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
            1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Sunny and 12 (56) degrees here today. Took my 750 out for a much needed ride...I had to put a new battery in it and had not had a chance to take it out for a spin since November.
              Then I took the doctor for a little ride in the hood...Got collector plates for it Wed....only took 8 days from the application.

No signature

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
                Lovely, Maybe this spring I can ride over and have a look see? I'm in New Buffalo MI.

Took a cool ride today in balmy 32º.
                Michigan City Indiana:
                Sure, come on down! I organize the local vintage bike club Fort Wayne Vintage Cycle. Find us on face book under that name for event info. We have a Taco Tuesday Vintage bike night every week and participate in several regional shows and events all year long. Our last riding event was the week of Thanks Giving.

Comment

[QUOTE=trevor;2260658]Sunny and 12 (56) degrees here today. Took my 750 out for a much needed ride...I had to put a new battery in it and had not had a chance to take it out for a spin since November.
                  Then I took the doctor for a little ride in the hood...Got collector plates for it Wed....only took 8 days from the application.

Trevor, I would kill for 40 and clear, clean roads devoid of ice, snow and salt. 56 degrees would be a heat wave. Nice ride!

Comment

73° and 415lbs. of ridiculousness.

ZRX_bb_zpsryso2ftf.jpg
                    '80 GS1000ST
                    '92 ZX-11
                    Past rides: '79 GS1000SN, '84 GPZ900R

http://totalrider.com/

Comment

This is a combination What did you wrench on today, Anybody go for a ride, and Why don't Amerikans buy Kanadian bikes post. I did a couple jobs this morning, one took me by the Drivers License office. I had the proper documentation to get my Enhanced Drivers License so I can go to Canada, buy a bike, and bring it across the border. Then I got home, my new longer brake line for the Bandit had arrived so I swapped it out, re-routed the clutch line and throttle cables so I could fit my new 2" ROX Risers to the Daytona touring bars. Ever since I got the Bandit I have not been comfortable on it, after 3 sets of bars and 2 risers this is the best yet. Not 100% but I think I could do a long day now. So I bled the brakes and went for a quick spin. Note to self: mid 50's is still too cold for mesh jacket...
                      sigpic
                      09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
                      1983 GS1100e
                      82\83 1100e Frankenbike
                      1980 GS1260
                      Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

Originally posted by bobgroger View Post
                        This is a combination What did you wrench on today, Anybody go for a ride, and Why don't Amerikans buy Kanadian bikes post. I did a couple jobs this morning, one took me by the Drivers License office. I had the proper documentation to get my Enhanced Drivers License so I can go to Canada, buy a bike, and bring it across the border. Then I got home, my new longer brake line for the Bandit had arrived so I swapped it out, re-routed the clutch line and throttle cables so I could fit my new 2" ROX Risers to the Daytona touring bars. Ever since I got the Bandit I have not been comfortable on it, after 3 sets of bars and 2 risers this is the best yet. Not 100% but I think I could do a long day now. So I bled the brakes and went for a quick spin. Note to self: mid 50's is still too cold for mesh jacket...
                        Ohhh goody goody....what are we buying???
                        No signature

Comment

No money has changed hands yet. Stay tuned.....
                          sigpic
                          09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
                          1983 GS1100e
                          82\83 1100e Frankenbike
                          1980 GS1260
                          Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

Went no place special just rode for almost two hours and it was great. Filled tank with non "corn" gas at station not to far from home. Swear bike runs better with it!

Comment

Rode a couple hours up in the mountains, it's nice to take advantage of a good Chinook.

Gravity racing myself down one of the back canyon roads, whooooaaa!!! There are puppies in the road! Beautiful things, maybe two or three months old, just playing. One brown and one kind of a blue and brown combo dog, not sure which make but probably going to be pretty big. Anyway I yelled at them, chased them a little, they ran back up to the house back in the woods, through the gate and up to the third floor deck to bark at me. Really bothers me when people do this kind of crap.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Went on a little ride Sat to a state park close by. Morning was fine, though the winds were a bit interesting going home. The state park is Oliver Lee State Park just south of Alamogordo NM. 100_1626.jpg
                                Last edited by mrbill5491; 02-01-2016, 04:51 PM.
                                sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                                1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                                2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Working...
                                X