Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by trevor View Post
    Thanks Sandy,

It's smoother for sure...No, the crank is fine. I just think my 83 is so smooth that I'm spoiled by that. lol
    This is the best it has ran since I bought it. It really is a nice bike to ride. I put sonic fork springs in...the bike is super tight for a 35 year old bike. And it's pretty quick too.
    It was the gas cap.... (Thanks Mark!)
    Last edited by bobgroger; 03-07-2016, 02:54 AM.
    sigpic
    09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
    1983 GS1100e
    82\83 1100e Frankenbike
    1980 GS1260
    Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

Originally posted by bobgroger View Post
      It was the gas cap....
      Lol....I'll post that story tomorrow.
      No signature

Comment

I should have never done this on a weekend. The line at Customs was huge and VERY slow moving.30 minutes delay at the border, 2 hours in line waiting for an agent, 30 minutes to get the paperwork sorted. Bike is now legally imported to the US, no problems other than the Speedo quit somewhere around Bellingham. Will try to post pics tomorrow.
        What are these papers that need to had for crossing into the US?
        I'm thinking of buying Canadian too, because I'm seeing some bikes between Windsor and Toronto.
        Thanks!
        "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
        1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
        1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
        1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
          What are these papers that need to had for crossing into the US?
          I'm thinking of buying Canadian too, because I'm seeing some bikes between Windsor and Toronto.
          Thanks!
          I will create a new thread later detailing what I have learned. The short answer is it is very easy AS LONG as the bike is 25+ years old AND you have exactly the correct paperwork and everything is in order, and you are an old white guy with a confused look on his face. If it is newer they are much more picky. I have seen a couple dealers that will help with the process if you are American and want to buy new in Canada.
          sigpic
          1983 GS1100e
          82\83 1100e Frankenbike
          1980 GS1260

Comment

A few miles in today, a chilly 30°f ride to work this morning. Warmed up to a balmy 56°f this afternoon though.

Comment

Like those Civil War monuments. We have one near here very similar to that, but our guy has a mustache, and a dirty face.
              Buchannon Michigan.
              "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
              1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
              1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
              1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

and you are an old white guy with a confused look on his face.
                I practice this look just before I go on a ride. You never know when you're going to need it If you are starting to grey, learn the look.....
                sigpic
                83 GS1100g
                2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Took her out for the first time after the rebuild, got the safety inspection, and now she's registered! This bike takes off like a rocket! But then again, it's the largest displacement bike I've owned. I love it! Wife took this picture to share with my dad afterwards.

Comment

Originally posted by raygun View Post
                    Took her out for the first time after the rebuild, got the safety inspection, and now she's registered! This bike takes off like a rocket! But then again, it's the largest displacement bike I've owned. I love it! Wife took this picture to share with my dad afterwards.
                    Way to go! Your dad will be happy with that I'm sure. Enjoy your new ride!
                    No signature

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
                      Like those Civil War monuments. We have one near here very similar to that, but our guy has a mustache, and a dirty face.
                      Buchannon Michigan.
                      I love monuments... Here's myself next to the monument at Gettysburg of my great great great (might be another great or two I'm missing) Grandfathers's regiment that was committed in Gettysburg...

Obviously he wasn't a casualty of war for I'm living testament of his survival. Same last name which is really cool. Bit haggered... 3K miles on a B-King in 6 days does that to anyone
                      Jedz Moto
                      1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                      1988 Honda GL1500-6
                      2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
                      2020 Honda Monkey Z125
                      2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
                      Originally posted by Hayabuser
                      Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie G View Post
                        I practice this look just before I go on a ride. You never know when you're going to need it If you are starting to grey, learn the look.....
                        Honest officer, I thought the speedometer was in kilometers. 100 is 61, right?
                        sigpic
                        1983 GS1100e
                        82\83 1100e Frankenbike
                        1980 GS1260

Comment

Originally posted by Slycox View Post

A few miles in today, a chilly 30°f ride to work this morning. Warmed up to a balmy 56°f this afternoon though.
                          Gorgeous GL... BTW
                          Jedz Moto
                          1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                          1988 Honda GL1500-6
                          2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
                          2020 Honda Monkey Z125
                          2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
                          Originally posted by Hayabuser
                          Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedz123 View Post
                            Gorgeous GL... BTW
                            Thanks, she does look good from a distance. Does have the few imperfections. Some oil seepage and such... on the to do list.

Comment

OK, so here is the story of my trip to a foreign country over the weekend. Had my ex-wife (long story, but I love her more than when we were married) drive me 100 miles to Port Angeles to catch the ferry to Victoria, BC, which is on an island. You fly or boat, and I found out you can't fly without a passport. But you can boat with an Enhanced Drivers License.

I got off the ferry, and Dave (Hayabuser) was waiting for me in his Triumph T120 with a sidecar. My first sidecar ride, and the first time it had hauled 220 lbs. On the gas, turns right. On the brakes, turns left. We went to the Autoplan (BC equivalent of the DMV) to transfer the registration. In BC they take your plates when you sell a vehicle, so I needed to purchase a temporary 2 day permit and insurance for $48 CDN ($5 US). There was a problem as the only valid form of ID is a Passport (see the theme here?). So eventually we had someone at the other end of the phone approve it, probably because they wanted to get another old gross polluter vehicle off the road.

Dave got on his B-King that showed up earlier in the day from the frozen wastelands, and he delivered me to Trevor's house

Then we started drinking beer. I don't remember anything after 2AM, but I woke up in a bed the next morning. Trevor's wife Janice (a real saint) cooked us breakfast, and I struggled to get out the door to catch the 11:00 Ferry to Tswassen. I was the last vehicle to load, and we shoved off 1 minute later. THat was about the time the battery on my phone died so no more pics...

Headed to the border, about 30 minutes. Talked to the guy at the booth, he sent me inside. There I find a line of about 100 people, and it seemed like they were helping about one an hour. All the people from the ferry jammed in at once, it took 3 hours to get the paperwork done and the bike properly imported.I had no other choice, as I was riding it back.

About this time (4:30) I hit the slab and headed south. After a few miles the skies opened up and the temperature dropped like a rock to the low 40's. Cold, wet, and 70MPH is not a good combination over 120 miles in the dark. Ex is freaking out (remember, dead phone) and calls Trevor to see if I left. 5 minutes later (7:15PM) I pulled in the driveway and almost fell over. I had to get help to shut the bike off, pry my frozen hands from the grips, and put the kickstand down. They helped me inside where I collapsed. I honestly could not have gone another mile. Took another 2 hours until I warmed up enough to be coherent.

All in all, a good time was had by all (from what I remember), and I thank Dave, Trevor, and Janice for their hospitality. If I ever import another bike, it will be on a Tuesday morning so I have all the CBP people to myself.... BTW, they had teh drug sniffing dog going down the line of cars. They never looked in my bags.
                              sigpic
                              1983 GS1100e
                              82\83 1100e Frankenbike
                              1980 GS1260

Comment

Great story, thanks for sharing.
                                '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Working...
                                X