anyone go for a ride today? Pics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Awesome Bill,

That's a long haul but you can handle it! Be safe my friend.

Ed
    GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
    GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
    GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
    Originally posted by GSXR7ED
    Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
      In two weeks I'm about to do a 1,000 mile weekend ride yay me lol... It is called Ride for the Clover. It ia a benefit ride for the 4H clubs of New Mexico, this is its fourth year and the turn out has been getting bigger with each year. Boss said I could have that Friday and Monday off yeeehaaa. 600 miles is just getting to Santa Fe and back lol. Here is a pic of the route this year. [ATTACH=CONFIG]46968[/ATTACH]

Here is the link for the ride, if anyone in Albuquerque or the surrounding areas would be interested. https://ridefortheclover.nmsu.edu/2016-overview.html
      Oh man, would I love to join! We're getting ready for an engagement party and a wedding all within three weeks time. If it's around the same time next year maybe I'll be able to join as we're running out of kids to marry off now.
      Roger

Current rides
      1983 GS 850G
      2003 FJR 1300A
      Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

M-22 day, abreviated

Saturday was going to be a all day M-22 ride, head out early morning, go all the way to Northport, back in the evening.
        Has been a few years since I have done that.

So this Saturday was going to be the best opportunity for that. Then something came up that I would need to be home in the evening. But, okay, leave first thing in the morning and still have most all day.

Well, was pouring in the morning, big red and yellow blobs for miles north and south, and more behind them comming across the lake on weather radar.
        < < heavy sigh > >
        So went out for breakfast (in car).
        About 10 am the rain quit, still quite cloudy overcast, look like could rain again. Was a few small scatterd blobs on weather radar comming across the lake.
        Good enough. I'll take my chances.
        Gather up and headed out.

To get to the southern end of M-22 is about 90 miles, so about 1 1/2hour on US31 (pretty much interstate type highway most of the way).
        So blast on the highway

Go rained on some.

Was raining some when did get to M-22

M-22 has lots of 35 or 40 or 45 mph big sweeping curves and many 35 or 40 mph (as marked) S curves so is fun for that reason. But is not so fun when raining and can just see how some of the road sections look kinda slick anyway and worse when wett or with puddles. And the temp and the humidy is such that shield and glasses are splattered and a bit fogged up.

So, I knew I was taking my chances. Rode thru rain about 5 times. Bike really grimmey.
        But you know, I took my chances, but dont really think I "took my chances and lost". Just some times were not as good as could have been.

M-22 aslo has some elevation changes down across rivers and up onto dunes along the lake, and some places with scenic overlooks.

This place can see way out into the lake and way down the lake, must something like 200ft dune above the lake.

About the time a was near Frankfort, it was about 2pm, and that that after got something to eat would be about time to head back south. I thought that never had been in Frankfort, have usally just past bye. SO set out to find the harbor/pier. Found the main beach area, crowded and parking full. Explored a little further and found the end of a residential street that has beach access and view of the pier. Took a little walk there.

Rode thru the nearby downtown, full of tourist shops, and lots of restraunts that looked like fancy tourist places. Just outside of downtown found a smoked fish shop near the marina, yah, there we go. Had a great lake perch sandwich in a city park, while watching fishing boats comming and going and guys filteting big lake fish right there.

Headed back south on M-22. Now a bit sunny at times, and cloudy and misty at times. Pondered about getting rain gear back on, but just kept going without it.

A little sunnier now.

Here is a place can see the lake and dune bluffs off in the distance. Give a good idea of the elevation changes the road can go.

And another place that can see the lake in the distance

An S-curve that was suitable for posing a picture.

So my all day trip, turned into 7 hours (280 miles), didnt get as far north as I had intended, but that is okay.
        Spent 1 1/2 hour on highway just to get there and 1 1/2 hour back, but that is okay.
        Took my chances with the weather, and got rained on multiple times, but that is okay.

Now need to wash the bike.

Last edited by Redman; 08-15-2016, 06:43 AM. Reason: grammur and spullung

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Looks like a fun day. Sometimes I actually like ride in a warm humid rain.
          sigpic
          When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
          -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
          -Rusty old scooter.
          Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
          https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Nice pics Dave! Your bike is growing on me (I'm not a fan of windjammers/saddle bags/luggage racks). Thanks for sharing.

Ed
            GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
            GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
            GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
            Originally posted by GSXR7ED
            Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

I was out on the motorcycle yesterday, I got soaked! I had to take my friend home (about 30 miles away) I asked if she wanted to take the bike, it might rain? I haven't been on the motorcycle all last week because of afternoon thunderstorms. She said YES! She hasn't been on the bike in three weeks. I got her home fine. I tried to out maneuver the dark clouds by going east then south then back west. Nope, there was no going around it. I rode about 60 miles in a pouring rain. It was about 85 degrees out, it was kind of enjoying. Finally making it home, that hot cup of coffee tasted so good! 👍
              My Motorcycles:
              22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
              22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
              82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
              81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
              79 1000e (all original)
              82 850g (all original)
              80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Originally posted by storm 64 View Post
                I was out on the motorcycle yesterday, I got soaked! I had to take my friend home (about 30 miles away) I asked if she wanted to take the bike, it might rain? I haven't been on the motorcycle all last week because of afternoon thunderstorms. She said YES! She hasn't been on the bike in three weeks. I got her home fine. I tried to out maneuver the dark clouds by going east then south then back west. Nope, there was no going around it. I rode about 60 miles in a pouring rain. It was about 85 degrees out, it was kind of enjoying. Finally making it home, that hot cup of coffee tasted so good! 
                Which bike, the 850 or 1100?
                Current Bikes:
                2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Originally posted by ddaniels View Post
                  Which bike, the 850 or 1100?
                  The 1000e, It needed a good bath anyway!

the 1100e would have been a handful to ride in the rain.
                  Last edited by storm 64; 08-15-2016, 09:11 AM.
                  My Motorcycles:
                  22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                  22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                  82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                  81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                  79 1000e (all original)
                  82 850g (all original)
                  80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Yesterday I was doing some carb. tuning and wanted to check to see what kind of mileage I was getting. The garage where I do my bike tinkering is in the Boston suburbs, so I got on Rt. 2 and starting going west, planning on turning back after 25 miles or so. Well 115 miles later I'm in North Adams, MA.

I filled up 3 times and was getting just under 50mpg each time!
                    1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
                    1977 GS550
                    1977 GS750 - Cross country trip thread

Comment

Sam, nice pics.
                      sigpic
                      When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                      -Rusty old scooter.

Comment

Fom Saturday.... nice turn signal......
                        http://
                        sigpic

Glen
                        -Rusty old scooter.

Comment

Photo from a ride with a buddy

my bike is the 82' 1100e with 1150swap with some mods' his bike is the 77 Yamaha XS360 cafe racer bike
                          this is from fort erie ontario canada

ridepic.jpg

Comment

I love it!
                            sigpic

Glen
                            -Rusty old scooter.

Comment

Originally posted by evh View Post
                              Photo from a ride with a buddy

my bike is the 82' 1100e with 1150swap with some mods' his bike is the 77 Yamaha XS360 cafe racer bike
                              this is from fort erie ontario canada

[ATTACH=CONFIG]47063[/ATTACH]
                              Interesting place to pose bikes for a picture.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                              GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
                                Fom Saturday.... nice turn signal......

http://
                                What happened?

1982 GS1100 G converted by Motorcyclist magazine in 1986 to be a tribute to the Wes Cooley replica. 1982 Honda 900F. 1997 Yamaha VMax.
                                Also owned: 1973 Kawasaki Z1 900, 1972 Honda 750 K, 1976 Yamaha XS 650, 1980 Kawasaki KZ 1000 MKII, 1978 Kawasaki SR 650. Current cage is a 2001 Mustang Bullitt in Dark Highland Green. Bought new in Sept. 2001.

Comment

Working...
                                X