anyone go for a ride today? Pics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Carter Turk View Post
    I'm merely curious what the cause was, none provided.
    I can't think of anything "positive" after a crash, except to be still there to ponder it.
    What signs, combinations are we talking about?
    Signs of: Speed, inattentiveness, target fixation.

It is challenging to be positive in any accident...you're right about that. After the fact pondering is good and I think that's the message. Apologies if I came off pushy or defensive.

Ed
    GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
    GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
    GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
    Originally posted by GSXR7ED
    Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Hope the rider recovers well, but I don't see anything daunting about the curve.
      Not sure the purpose of post if no explanation will be provided.
      Was it the lunch, group ride scenario, speed, unattentiveness, target fixation or what?
      Don't see how ATGATT would have changed the end result.
      Sure the injuries would have been minimized, but the error lies with the rider.
      That is my point ATGATT would have minimized the injuries, that what ATGATT is suppose to do. As for the cause of the accident, we are still speculating on that. It was a group ride of 7 of us, 5 of us were about a mile ahead of them. Gwen who was behind them said they were only doing about 40mph and not trying to catch up with us. We had stopped at the Border Patrol check point waiting on them when a car pulled up and told us what had happened. Between the sheriff, state cop and us, speed wasn't a factor, we believe he lost concentration for a second, froze as he went into the corner, fixated on the guard rail instead of looking into the corner where he wanted to go and maybe his passenger did something that upset the bike, because there were no skid marks, just could see where he hit the edge of the road and slid into and hit the guard rail at an angle with the front rim. The passenger went off to the right where he went down on the left side. One of our riders was behind him and she said for some reason he put his left foot down, the girl on the back stood up and bailed it seemed like, so we were trying to piece it together from that. Both were in a daze and couldn't remember much of what happened at the time. Until I get the time to talk to them we don't exactly know, he said he has ridden through that area hundreds of times. All he could say at the time was, I don't know what happened. And believe me the curve is more daunting then it looks in the pics. Several accidents with bikes and two deaths.
      sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
      1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
      2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
        That is my point ATGATT would have minimized the injuries, that what ATGATT is suppose to do. As for the cause of the accident, we are still speculating on that. It was a group ride of 7 of us, 5 of us were about a mile ahead of them. Gwen who was behind them said they were only doing about 40mph and not trying to catch up with us. We had stopped at the Border Patrol check point waiting on them when a car pulled up and told us what had happened. Between the sheriff, state cop and us, speed wasn't a factor, we believe he lost concentration for a second, froze as he went into the corner, fixated on the guard rail instead of looking into the corner where he wanted to go and maybe his passenger did something that upset the bike, because there were no skid marks, just could see where he hit the edge of the road and slid into and hit the guard rail at an angle with the front rim. The passenger went off to the right where he went down on the left side. One of our riders was behind him and she said for some reason he put his left foot down, the girl on the back stood up and bailed it seemed like, so we were trying to piece it together from that. Both were in a daze and couldn't remember much of what happened at the time. Until I get the time to talk to them we don't exactly know, he said he has ridden through that area hundreds of times. All he could say at the time was, I don't know what happened. And believe me the curve is more daunting then it looks in the pics. Several accidents with bikes and two deaths.
        So mr bill...what was the rider not wearing? Thanks...glad everyone is ok..
        No signature

Comment

No gloves, no helmets, light leather jackets and jeans her as well. His and her hands were skinned up pretty bad, he broke two fingers, busted lipped, broken cheek bone on the left side. contusion on right side of his head, skinned up left knee and probably lots of bruising the next day. Her right side of the head a laceration above her right eye brow and one on her cheek and across her nose and some other bruising. How she missed that guard rail is beyond us. She thought she went over it, even then there is a 40 ft cliff a few feet from the back side of the guard rail that goes into the river bed, she missed that as well. They held him for observation for two nights.
          2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
            Geez...really sorry for your friend. Hope they heal up without any long lasting issues. I just don't get it when people ride bikes without the gear. What bike were they riding?
            They were on a Harley Dyna don't know what year model. The bike looked to be in good condition. It was clean, with good tires, nothing visually wrong we saw. And yeah we tend to give everyone's bike a safety once over now days before a ride. We saved this one guy from a possible nasty outing once. We noticed his tires were wore down to the steel belts. Nope you ain't riding with that today.
            2015 CAN AM RTS

Comment

This article popped up in my mailbox today...thought it was timely...
              No signature

Comment

Mr Bill, I didn't realize helmets weren't involved.
                I can't imagine going on real ride w/o one, though I've bumped started my bike down our flat street w/o one many times.
                I'm also guilty of just wearing jeans.
                I always use a helmet, coat, gloves n boots.

Thanks for all the details, can't help wondering what happened and why, when something like this goes down.
                GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Mr Bill, I didn't realize helmets weren't involved.
                  I can't imagine going on real ride w/o one, though I've bumped started my bike down our flat street w/o one many times.
                  I'm also guilty of just wearing jeans.
                  I always use a helmet, coat, gloves n boots.

Thanks for all the details, can't help wondering what happened and why, when something like this goes down.
                  I hear ya. Like I said, until I can talk to them again...maybe they can shine some light after getting their wits back together.
                  2015 CAN AM RTS

Comment

They were on a Harley Dyna don't know what year model. The bike looked to be in good condition. It was clean, with good tires, nothing visually wrong we saw. And yeah we tend to give everyone's bike a safety once over now days before a ride. We saved this one guy from a possible nasty outing once. We noticed his tires were wore down to the steel belts. Nope you ain't riding with that today.
                    Mr Bill, I don't get you didn't say that when they showed up with no helmets?
                    No way I'm riding with somebody that naive, or foolhardy. There are times we need to be hard.
                    "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                    1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                    1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                    1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Yep, count me in the group that wouldn't ride with someone not wearing a helmet. I don't need the ptsd when he crashes thanks.
                      No signature

Comment

I rode today... sort of. A bicycle.... on a roof. The roofers were off site, and conveniently had a bicycle on the large roof that I helped myself to to check some equipment. laughed when I realized I was "covering" what would have been the brake and clutch levers.
                        http://
                        sigpic
                        When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                        -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                        -Rusty old scooter.
                        Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                        https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                        https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
                          Mr Bill, I don't get you didn't say that when they showed up with no helmets?
                          No way I'm riding with somebody that naive, or foolhardy. There are times we need to be hard.
                          I've seen riders without helmets here in Delaware...I think NM doesn't have a helmet law.

In any case, people choose to ride without a helmet...it happens. Does the etiquette call for discrimination for making a foolish decision?

The impression I get when ATGATT is mentioned is KEY Safety gear is missing on a ride. A bad decision to say the least and a hard lesson to learn.

Ed
                          GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                          GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                          GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                          Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                          Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post
                            .I think NM doesn't have a helmet law.
                            Ed
                            That's correct, no helmet law in NM for those over 18.
                            Roger

Current rides
                            1983 GS 850G
                            2003 FJR 1300A
                            Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

I remember a road trip from Washington to Michigan. I see a guy pull up on a Honda Nighthawk 700S with a hoodie and sunglasses at a gas station in Minnesota.
                              The minute I removed my helmet the mosquitos were on me and the reason I stopped was to wipe all the bug spackle off my facesheild. Had I rode any longer, the vision factor would have been highly impaired. Guess it's better to have the bugs stuck to forehead, ears, hair if you have any and feel more bad ass with the wind/bugs on your face.
                              GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

A few of us went out for a Saturday lunch ride, didn't turn out like we were expecting. One of our riders went down at a place we call Dead Mans curve and yes it is called for a good reason. They were very lucky, this could have ended up being deadly for sure. As it was, if they had been wearing safety gear, what injuries they did get would have been largely negated. ATGATT people ATGATT.
                                It's good to be reminded of what can happen if we get sidetracked watching the scenery. Thanks for the post MrBill.

I often find myself looking around at the countryside and if I don't break that habit, I'll break something else!!
                                Roger

Current rides
                                1983 GS 850G
                                2003 FJR 1300A
                                Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Working...
                                X