anyone go for a ride today? Pics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by alke46 View Post
    From that picture you also have the worst looking bike in the lot.
    This is true, lol.
    Roger

Current rides
    1983 GS 850G
    2003 FJR 1300A
    Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Originally posted by Burque73 View Post

Oh, and I had to see if anyone actually went to the local Cycle Gear for their bike night thing. It was just over freezing by then with 30 mile an hour winds so just a bit chilly out there. Turns out that I had the best looking bike in the parking lot!.....
      That would probably be true had there been 50.

Did you wander inside, so someone could see you were there...?

Near freezing in NM ... I am wondering if that is something of a natural disaster.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by alke46 View Post
        From that picture you also have the worst looking bike in the lot.
        Just kidding. Your bike is a very nice looking bike.
        Add both together and dived by 2 = just the average bike in the lot.
        "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
        1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
        1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
        1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
          That would probably be true had there been 50.

Did you wander inside, so someone could see you were there...?

Near freezing in NM ... I am wondering if that is something of a natural disaster.

Just two employees from what I saw through the window, but no I didn't wander in. I know from shopping there that there's no public facility and the coffee I had earlier, well.....

The climate is really all over the place in NM. Temps in the teens up in higher elevations and near 70s F down south. We're somewhere in the middle usually.

If there were 50 or even a hundred other bikes, these old GS's would still catch my eye. Theres just something about them!

edit: 70's may be too optimistic for southern NM, but it's usually a lot warmer anyways.
          Last edited by Burque73; 01-26-2017, 10:34 AM.
          Roger

Current rides
          1983 GS 850G
          2003 FJR 1300A
          Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Bump started for another 60 mile loop.
            The cops were out.
            Had a guy in an Explorer fake like he's heading south on I-5, then continues on his way straight.
            I'm following, after a few miles he heads north on to I-5? I resist the urge to pass and hang in the slow lane.
            Some cars go by clearly speeding, Sheriff in an SUV goes by (where did he come from?).
            I exit off the highway after 2 miles, who's getting on Northbound, a WSP SUV right as I exit. Whew!
            It's an easy place to speed, they actually lowered the speed limit on this section several years ago.
            Made it home with no awards.
            GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Spring is here in the PNW. 53F today, plenty warm for a 50 mile loop on the 850. Yesterday was nicer but work got in the way...
              Mt. Rainier above the left mirror.

sigpic
              09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
              1983 GS1100e
              82\83 1100e Frankenbike
              1980 GS1260
              Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

Yes Bob...beautiful day here as well....I took the Cooley out for the first "good" ride...went up island for a total of 130 miles....found out that I have charging issues....shocking on a GS...lol....I'm thinking it's the reg/rec....new Rick's stator and new battery....stopped on the way home for a photo op and had to bump start the bike....had to stop for gas...again bump start....then on the highway close to home it died.....luckily I was near a cut off...my wife came and rescued me in my truck....work to do....

Last edited by trevor; 01-29-2017, 12:11 AM.
                No signature

Comment

I can hook you up with a stock RR. Not sure you want to modify a Cooley...
                  sigpic
                  09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
                  1983 GS1100e
                  82\83 1100e Frankenbike
                  1980 GS1260
                  Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

Hey Trevor,

What's your bump start technique?
                    GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Originally posted by Carter Turk View Post
                      Hey Trevor,

What's your bump start technique?
                      Well first time I ran with it and then jumped on..the way I used to do it when I was much younger..lol....but today what worked best was finding a hill and being on the bike to begin with. I know people like 2nd gear but I prefer 1st gear...find it starts quicker.
                      Last edited by trevor; 01-29-2017, 02:50 AM.
                      No signature

Comment

Originally posted by bobgroger View Post
                        I can hook you up with a stock RR. Not sure you want to modify a Cooley...
                        Hmm...so is that better than going to Honda? I thought Suzuki ones were the problem in the first place??
                        No signature

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post
                          ...................... . . . . . ....I took the Cooley out for the first "good" ride...went up island for a total of 130 miles....found out that I have charging issues....shocking on a GS...lol....I'm thinking it's the reg/rec....new Rick's stator and new battery....stopped on the way home for a photo op and had to bump start the bike....had to stop for gas...again bump start....then on the highway close to home it died.....luckily I was near a cut off...my wife came and rescued me in my truck....work to do....

Trev,

Let me understand. Bike is dieing a certain death and only has so far and so many starts left in it, and you are stopping and starting so can take pictures.
                          Oh, okay.

If had pulled headlight fuse could have gone further.

Good that this happened now, and you can take care of this before Wess Cooley has to pull over on the track.

Do check your stator, even though you say is fairly new. Depending on what manner the R/R failed, it could have damaged the stator also.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                          GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                            Trev,

Let me understand. Bike is dieing a certain death and only has so far and so many starts left in it, and you are stopping and starting so can take pictures.
                            Oh, okay.

If had pulled headlight fuse could have gone further.

Good that this happened now, and you can take care of this before Wess Cooley has to pull over on the track.

Do check your stator, even though you say is fairly new. Depending on what manner the R/R failed, it could have damaged the stator also.

Lol....could you imagine if that happened at Laguna...lol...

I only stopped for one pic and then it wouldn't start...I had to stop for gas but I knew of a spot that had a good hill beside the station.
                            The stator is a brand new Rick's...the reg/rec was a used Honda one that I picked up at a local wreckers....sure hope the stator wasn't damaged....
                            No signature

Comment

Trevor, looking at the smile on your face you wouldn't know the bike had any problems.

Can imagine you saying something like
                              "I'd rather push a Cooley than ride a (other bike here)"
                              Roger

Current rides
                              1983 GS 850G
                              2003 FJR 1300A

Comment

Not only did I go for a ride after church today, I thought to take some pictures! Thankfully I dressed for the ride. It was about 34 degrees and after about 30 miles it started to snow. The ride home was chilly and wet and I made it safely.

There's a lock and dam on the Ohio River south of Gallipolis, has Robert Byrd's name all over it. It was a decent spot to turn around, get a picture or two. Then I stopped at Hillbilly Hotdogs and was surprised to find an old GS just sitting there. (they have all sorts of junk everywhere at hillbilly hotdogs. Ya kinda hafta see it.) So what is it?

at Gallipolis lock and dam by Kerry Bart, on Flickr

at Gallipolis lock and dam by Kerry Bart, on Flickr

Two GSes at Hillbilly Hotdogs by Kerry Bart, on Flickr

Suzuki GS at Hillbilly Hotdogs by Kerry Bart, on Flickr
                                "I have come to believe that all life is precious." -- Eastman, TWD6.4

1999 Triumph Legend 900 TT

Comment

Working...
                                X