anyone go for a ride today? Pics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
    Baatfam, that looks like some beautiful country to ride in. It reminds me of riding around near my aunt's in Central Pa, where many of the nice roads meander up and down following valleys and creeks.
    It is. If you look at a topographical map, north and west of Knoxville, there is a series of ridges that run North/East to South/West, until you get to the Cumberland Plateau. If you follow the roads that run NE to SW, they follow the ridges and valleys, often along rivers and streams, with gentle turns and elevation changes. If you follow the roads going NW to SE, the go over the ridges and are filled with tight turns, switchbacks and significant elevation changes.

Pretty neat...map below...

Find local businesses, view maps and get driving directions in Google Maps.
    Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
    '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
      Beautiful, sunny day here in Tennessee... Only my second time out since we moved here.

Looks like a good decision to me.
      Rob
      1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
      Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Originally posted by Lyra View Post
        I went for a ride today in rural Scotland

[ATTACH=CONFIG]50105[/ATTACH]

I love this bike
        You should, it's a great looking bike. More pics of the Scottish countryside would be appreciated.
        Larry

'79 GS 1000E
        '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
        '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
        '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
        '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

[QUOTE=Baatfam;2379266]It is. If you look at a topographical map, north and west of Knoxville, there is a series of ridges that run North/East to South/West, until you get to the Cumberland Plateau. If you follow the roads that run NE to SW, they follow the ridges and valleys, often along rivers and streams, with gentle turns and elevation changes. If you follow the roads going NW to SE, the go over the ridges and are filled with tight turns, switchbacks and significant elevation changes.

All that sounds good Bob but the real question looms. Did you scrape anything in those twisties?
          Larry

'79 GS 1000E
          '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
          '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
          '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
          '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
            It is. If you look at a topographical map, north and west of Knoxville, there is a series of ridges that run North/East to South/West, until you get to the Cumberland Plateau. If you follow the roads that run NE to SW, they follow the ridges and valleys, often along rivers and streams, with gentle turns and elevation changes. If you follow the roads going NW to SE, the go over the ridges and are filled with tight turns, switchbacks and significant elevation changes.

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.1771.../data=!5m1!1e4
            Thanks Bob.

I went for a couple StreetView rides during my lunch time.

(You see, I still have this bad habit of going to work so many days a week, so many weeks per year.)
            Last edited by Redman; 03-10-2017, 01:29 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
            GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
              I went for a couple StreetView rides during my lunch time.

(You see, I still have this bad habit of going to work so many days a week, so many weeks per year.)
              Street view...good idea, Red! I can look at some of the places I didn't stop to take a picture.

Yup, that work thing is a bad habit. You need to get away from that.

Comment

Here is a Google Street view of one of the hairpins I went through on RT61 near Knoxville.

Comment

Btw...how is this thread not a "sticky"?? 6000 posts later...lol

New stator in the Cooley...New Rick's stator was bad...got a refund...not for nothing but that's the second bad Risk's stator in 5 years for me....

Fairing is at my painters getting a touch up for the strawberry from the po....also getting him to paint a helmet of mine to match the bike.

No signature

Comment

You really need to figure out how to stop that. LOL

I am enjoying retirement immensely!

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post
                      Btw...how is this thread not a "sticky"?? 6000 posts later...lol.
                      I have noticed that this tread doesnt really need to be a "sticky". Is probably the most active thread (and the first I want to look at each time) and stays near the top all the time anyway.

I have tried to start a similar thread on other forums and just never took off.
                      So, either, I am a big dork that no one wants to interact with, har har har....
                      or.... the other forums just do not have the same quality of GSR.

GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

I have noticed that this tread doesnt really need to be a "sticky". Is probably the most active thread (and the first I want to look at each time) and stays near the top all the time anyway.

The BMW forum I'm on has a thread titled "Short rides, show us your pics" which is fairly active, not as active as ours though.
                        No signature

Comment

So did I, over on Katriders.com. The few there decided it was more cool to not post pics, just say they did a ride. …whatever
                          "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                          1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                          1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                          1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post
                            The BMW forum I'm on has a thread titled "Short rides, show us your pics" which is fairly active, not as active as ours though.
                            I think I recall that, on BMWST, but not finding it now. Maybe expired.
                            I recall it was "Post Your One Day Ride Picture." ( I recall that because wondering "One Day" or "One Picture" har har har)
                            I have a few posted on BMW MOA "Just Riding".
                            (I have had occasion to look at the iBMW, per your recommendation, but that doesnt seem to be RT oriented.)

Have started a thread on Honda Shadow Network, and said it was open for others and invited others, said it wasnt a game, got some response, and a couple other postings, but didnt continue. People would start another tread about thier ride/picture.

Anyway, it seems folks here are more cooperative and open and sharing.

Comment

And another related aspect of this: There are riders that laugh & joke & sneer & belittle others about stopping to take pictures.

Comment

We had a fantastic afternoon on the GS. Left town at 1pm and headed for the Jemez mountains. Stopping at Battleship rock to eat lunch and stretch our legs.

Table for two....

On toward the Valles Caldera, a caldera volcano in the Jemez Mtns. They say it erupts every 50,000 years or so and the last was about 40,000 years ago, so it'll be a few days before it happens again....maybe! This is where the A&E and Netflix series Longmire was filmed. Walt Longmire's cabin is off in the distance somewhere.

Heading East toward Los Alamos was a terrificly twisted road, NM-4. Unfortunately it's a lousy road and full of sand from the snow removal over the winter. We took it really slow to say the least.

She said if I didn't quit screwing around taking pictures, she was walking home! hahaha

We headed on through White Rock and back down toward Santa Fe. The weather was awesome until Santa Fe then we had a crazy cross wind that thrashed us all the way home. In all it was a 200 mile ride and to my surprise, and delight, she enjoyed it just as much as I did!!!! Next time we'll head to the four corners area where New Mexico, Colorado, Arizona, and Utah meet. I wonder if any Suzuki GS has been in four states at once??
                                Roger

Current rides
                                1983 GS 850G
                                2003 FJR 1300A
                                Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Working...
                                X