No announcement yet.

anyone go for a ride today? Pics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nothing like getting high first thing in the morning. Seriously, 10,000+ feet high! Here's a couple of shots from Sandia Peak above Albuquerque. Somewhere down there my wife is still sleeping, hahaha.

This is our closest ski area to town. In warm months they take mountain bikes and hikers up in the lifts. It's not even 7AM so nobody's here yet. I wish I had checked the gauge before coming up here! I swear it was at a half tank when I left. At least it's all down hill to the gas station.

After coming down from the Sandias a little micro brewery caught my eye. Still too early, gonna have to come back another time for a pint also leave the bike at home for that one.

I went North passing through Madrid which seems to be a regular route for me these days. On up into Santa Fe to see how their ski area looks.

Ok, this ride is developing a theme. Plus, the twisty roads up to the ski areas are a blast (if their clean!) This shot over looks the Santa Fe area. Too bad there's such a haze today!

I rode on further out of Santa Fe to Espanola and thought about going to Taos. Plans had been made to be at my parents house at 4pm so I actually had to plan out my route a little bit. Hey, Pajarito ski area isn't far, I thought! Just through Los Alamos and up some more twisties, woohoo...

After Pajarito it's a nice ride through the forest into the Jemez Mountains. I had never stopped at Bandelier National Monument before. Another dirt road, but a nice one so I went for it. Glad I did too it's such a beautiful area. Green meadows, tall pines and aspens. If they hadn't been burned by recent fires that is!

Another visit to the Valles Caldera volcano then back down the mountain to Soda Dam. People jump off of this rock into the breathtakingly cold water below. Not today though.

I took so many pictures but should stop there. The ride was aroundt 300 miles but took over ten hours. I'm trying to work my way up to making a 13 hour, 700 mile each way ride. One day each way. The bike I'm sure now can handle it so any limitations are on me. I'm almost ready for the challenge.
    Last edited by Burque73; 05-06-2017, 10:13 PM.
    Roger

Current rides
    1983 GS 850G
    2003 FJR 1300A
    Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Wonderful narrative Roger! Thanks for sharing.

Ed
      GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
      GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
      GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
      Originally posted by GSXR7ED
      Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
        I found this little 5 mile road, just 23 miles from my the driveway at our new house. I've been down it twice this week.

No pictures, just some video...Hopefully that is OK.

Bob, you should be riding that road a couple of times a day for a few weeks and your skills would improve immensely. A bit jealous here.
        I rode in Northern Arkansas a couple of weeks back and am headed back down for another 3-4 days of riding after mother's day, trying to enhance my abilities.
        Larry

'79 GS 1000E
        '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
        '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
        '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
        '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Not today, 41 years ago. I was 21. Showing off my brand new KZ900 the fastest thing on the planet. This would have been in the first couple weeks because the exhaust was gone next paycheck. Second picture would have been my first ever burnout. I can't believe I'm still alive after the crazy $h!t I did. Thanks to my buddy Ralph for finding these pics.
          Link is RSU... http://network-pros.com/bike/kz900-1.jpg

sigpic
          09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
          1983 GS1100e
          82\83 1100e Frankenbike
          1980 GS1260
          Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

Originally posted by bobgroger View Post
            Not today, 41 years ago. I was 21. Showing off my brand new KZ900 the fastest thing on the planet. This would have been in the first couple weeks because the exhaust was gone next paycheck. Second picture would have been my first ever burnout. I can't believe I'm still alive after the crazy $h!t I did. Thanks to my buddy Ralph for finding these pics.
            Bob, I just wanted to get a better look at this photo, so I tweaked it.
            Very cool and weird time of our lives, not grown up yet.
            Amazing that one front disc was considered adequate braking for a heavy superbike.
            "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
            1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
            1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
            1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Originally posted by alke46 View Post
              Bob, you should be riding that road a couple of times a day for a few weeks and your skills would improve immensely. A bit jealous here.
              I rode in Northern Arkansas a couple of weeks back and am headed back down for another 3-4 days of riding after mother's day, trying to enhance my abilities.
              I hear ya, Larry, but it's been difficult to ride with all the rain we've had this past month. I am lucky if we have a couple of dry days a week.
              Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
              '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Bob great share!

Gorgeous bike! I like to think much hasn't changed. I'm buying new bikes now and the stock pipes come right off...

41 years ago I was a twinkle in my 12 year old father's eye...

Just hope I turn out half as cool as you cats when I'm your age.

I'm participating in the 512 miles by 5-12. Soaking rains yesterday... Grabbed around 250 miles.

it did end up clearing out and making a gorgeous afternoon for riding.

No riding today... Might squeak a small one in but I have some more home buying projects today.
                Jedz Moto
                1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                1988 Honda GL1500-6
                2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
                2020 Honda Monkey Z125
                2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
                Originally posted by Hayabuser
                Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

argh. Riding along, (GSX400E) heard a "TING". No big deal...few blocks on, stopping at bikeshop to swap a wrong fit part...OIL EVERYWHERE! I swap part, take off tank, walk to Canadian tire to get stuff to get my bike home- a bottle of oil,paper towels, various Magic epoxies to glue a beer can piece on? (Suprising hard to "find" a beer can here. Tidy Canadians or just Too ManyPoor People)

However, once back, Les at Hypertek popped out and offered Real Duct Repair Tape and some solvents to clean etc..Perfect fix.

suspect? Camchain did a bounce? Tensioner off and checked seems fine.HMMM. Les at Hypertek had some interesting comments on "Self-adjusting" tensioners to do with-"No. Use the lock screw and Lock Them..."and more..

LUCKILY I have a spare cover and was going to check valves anyways

Comment

That looks a lot better, thanks! I think it was $2395, I know my mom had to co-sign.... The only bike I had ridden before that was a Suzuki 80, next day I was foolishly testing the limits. I have gained some common sense, and 100 Lbs since....
                    sigpic
                    09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
                    1983 GS1100e
                    82\83 1100e Frankenbike
                    1980 GS1260
                    Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

Originally posted by bobgroger View Post
                      That looks a lot better, thanks! I think it was $2395, I know my mom had to co-sign.... The only bike I had ridden before that was a Suzuki 80, next day I was foolishly testing the limits. I have gained some common sense, and 100 Lbs since....
                      Your Mom actually did co-sign, let alone tolerate the thought???
                      Not in my mother's house!!!
                      "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                      1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                      1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                      1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Out for a cup 'o joe

Bad means good. Hot means cool. Oh and around here No actually means yes, no? It's a mad mad world!
                        Roger

Current rides
                        1983 GS 850G
                        2003 FJR 1300A
                        Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

45 degF.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                          GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by Burque73 View Post
                            Out for a cup 'o joe

Bad means good. Hot means cool. Oh and around here No actually means yes, no? It's a mad mad world!
                            Bike looks GREAT! that seat sure looks comfortable, it almost looks like a Corbin but I don't think they ever made one for our GS bikes, custom made?
                            Rob
                            1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                            Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
                              Bike looks GREAT! that seat sure looks comfortable, it almost looks like a Corbin but I don't think they ever made one for our GS bikes, custom made?
                              Thank you! Yes very comfy. Good eye, it is a corbin from late 80's I was told by the PO.

Roger

Current rides
                              1983 GS 850G
                              2003 FJR 1300A

Comment

I did the stupidest thing today.. my buddy has a conex full of bikes and we dug out the old kick start dr650.. cleaned the ants out of the carb.. yes fire ants.. and she started right up and commenced to literally kick my but all down every trail.. tourqe monster but my goodness bout broke my leg kicking it over...
                                I build Pipers

Comment

Working...
                                X