anyone go for a ride today? Pics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
    .... ..... ...., lakes are a part of the trail systems, and the scale of them was unbelievable to me at the time. A few miles across on average, and one was 10 miles across, if I recall. Supposedly many a sled were blown up there from extended WOT runs.
    I had something of an experience with snowmobile on big frozen lake. After going fast for a period of time, in the dark, with little reference of things going by, and then doing some fishtailing, yikes, and slowing down in a panic, it seemed that came to a stop, so stood up and stepped off. But, nope, were not completely stopped. (And this may have been after leaving a tavern.) (In a former life.)

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

In Vermont a frozen lake is State highway and all state highway laws apply. 50MPH speed zone and the vehicle must be registered and insured to travel upon it.
      Jedz Moto
      1980 Suzuki GS1000G
      1988 Honda GL1500-6
      2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
      2020 Honda Monkey Z125
      2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
      Originally posted by Hayabuser
      Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedz123 View Post
        In Vermont a frozen lake is State highway and all state highway laws apply. 50MPH speed zone and the vehicle must be registered and insured to travel upon it.
        Same here in ny. Cops on the trails really are a bummer. Who wants to ride a sled sober?
        2002 bmw r1150gs 1978 gs1000E skunk les pew 1979 gs1000L dragbike
        82 gs1100L probably the next project
        1980 gs1000G the ugly 1978 gs750E need any parts?
        https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m_m2oYJkx1A
        1978 gs1000E skunk #2 RLAP

Comment

Originally posted by Eli69 View Post
          Same here in ny. Cops on the trails really are a bummer. Who wants to ride a sled sober?
          Jethro said the same thing, I mean no one drinks and runs sleds... No one!
          Jedz Moto
          1980 Suzuki GS1000G
          1988 Honda GL1500-6
          2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
          2020 Honda Monkey Z125
          2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
          Originally posted by Hayabuser
          Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Oceanside CA

I did, I Did. I went for ride today.

First two days here was raining almost all the time. Was getting storm alerts on my phone. To me I would have said "its raining, raining hard some times".

53 degF, cloudy, this morning. Got out ! !

Headed to the nearest good road, about 25 minutes thru suburbia to some twistys in canyons and rolling hills north of Fallbrook.
            Du Luz road
            TO find this:

Road Closed signs all across the road. Lots of cars going around, so I did too.
            Ew, yah, still some water running acrost road, and lots of debris....
            .... and then mud and big rocks and more mud... and other evidence that had been a river running down the road.
            Turned around.

Wandered around, and found way to "the 15" to go north abit and then headed west into the area of the canyon and twistys.

Opps, a week late for the vinyard-orchard-grove picture game.

Wandered around the area for a couple hours.

Didnt get pics of the best roads, just isnt no place to stop.

Had a quick lunch and,
            THen found way north to Ortega Highway. Took that west

Again, Didnt get pics of the best part of the road.

Then zoomed back in "the 5". Traffic buzzing along at 85-90mph, 4 and 5 lane wide.
            Could see ocean for a while. And MetroLink passenger train for a while going about same speed.

Then close to Oceanside, is a couple more exit-entracence and traffic down to 10-15-20 mph. Did a little splitting there, and on local road.

Was out for 5 hours. Good day.
            Last edited by Redman; 02-15-2019, 09:13 PM.

GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Got out Saturday. Headed east on CA76 to other side of the 15.

Went to the Pala-Temececula road.

Got to talk to a tribal officer, who told me how the road "is gone".
              And saw construction equipment going in and out.

Same thing happend here that happened the other day when I stopped at the road closed sign: About every 3rd car that came along would ask me if the road was open to blah-blah road or something like that. I would say I didnt know and am not from around here. I was wondereing why they would ask me, just because I had bike stopped in the road and was standing there. Later I thought maybe because it was a blue RT and that looks somewhat like the cop bikes that are not uncommon around here. But I am not in uniform or nothing and bike has not badges or anything. So maybe they were asking me just because I was standing there.

Went to Lilac Road and found it to be a gravel-sand-mud road. Went to Lilac Extention Road and found a gate closed across the road, no sign, just a big gate across the road.

Went to Couser Road.

Went past the sign. Rode thru some water running over road, then about a mile later was the debris and mud and construction crews works, so turned around.

Went to Rice Canyon Rd, no sign there, so headed north that way. A couple bikes and a truck comming south all gave me the "slow down" sign.
              Saw evidience of problems there, but, ah, wasnt too bad.
              Naw, wasnt any place with water running more than 2 inches deep, wasnt any place with more than a 1/4th of the road missing.

Made it up to Rainbow Cny Rd, and got lost on a Rainbow This Rd and Rainbow That road, then back to Rice CAnyon to head back south to CA76 and back to home base.

Was out for about 4 hours.

Comment

Glad to see you're enjoying some time riding out there. 9 hours in two days, nice!
                Roger

Current rides
                1983 GS 850G
                2003 FJR 1300A
                Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Originally posted by Burque73 View Post
                  ....................!
                  Had things going on today, so only got out to run an errand.
                  But did stop here to add to the southern California expereince

Plan to get out tommorow for 4 or 5 hours, for last long ride of this trip.

Comment

It makes me smile seeing you having so much fun Dave...you’re a good man my friend.
                    No signature

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post
                      .... ... .. ....
                      Thanks Trev.

Comment

Tuesday ride. Mid40s at 9am.
                        Took the 5 to the 805 blah blah to SD BMW dealer.
                        Either I have lost the nerve, or this time of year the drivers are not expecting splitters, just didnt seem like enough drivers were leaving room, like they were not looking. I would have highbeam on inbetween the two outer lanes and half the time wasnt room, drivers not moving over like I recall on previous visits here. Has been cold and rainy last several weeks. Only saw one other bike the entire 50 minute trip.

Looked around at dealer some, inquire more about tires.

Then ventured out to Wildcat Cny rd.

Into Ramona.
                        And Old Julian Hwy.

Headed toward Julian. Was seeing snow on shoulder and feeling a bit cooler at 3000ft.

Took a look at the temperature in Julian... and.... ah... decided to head more northward (and lower elevation) on CA79

............. avoiding the higher elevations as can see here.

Into Temecula.
                        Zipped back on the 15.
                        This Michigander found it fun to go along with the traffic at 85-90, when light traffic. And is even more intersteing when traffic on the other side is rolling along so heavy and slow that can see the wheels turning.

Had a little time, so went down to the beach.
                        Fairly quit down there, after all it is winter you know, 53 degF.
                        Last edited by Redman; 02-20-2019, 02:09 PM.

Comment

I sorta planned to ride in today, but when I woke it was 28 degrees out, and I just didn't have the willpower for the trip in. I know that's warm weather for some of our northern and eastern brethren, but it just didn't appeal this morning.
                          "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                          ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                          1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post

Into Temecula.
                            Zipped back on the 15.
                            This Michigander found it fun to go along with the traffic at 85-90, when light traffic. And is even more intersteing when traffic on the other side is rolling along so heavy and slow that can see the wheels turning.

Had a little time, so went down to the beach.
                            Fairly quit down there, after all it is winter you know, 53 degF.
                            Where is this pier? Oceanside? I probally mentioned I lived for several years in North SD county in my youth.
                            sigpic
                            83 GS1100g
                            2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie G View Post
                              Where is this pier? Oceanside? I probally mentioned I lived for several years in North SD county in my youth.
                              Yes, Oceanside. Daughter & SIL been in Oceanside (Camp Pendalton) two years. Were in SanDiego (Navel Medical Center) for 3 years prior to that, right next to Ocean Beach.

Comment

Wednesday ride.

Upper 40s, maybe low 50s, Looked like chance of rain (predicted later in afternoon), so decided not to venture too far from home base.
                                Went back to Fallbrook to see if make it any further on De Luz.
                                Got there, no signs were there were signs last week. So headed on north.
                                DeLuzinal, I say.

Got about 11 miles, at intersetion of De Luz and De Luz Murrietta road I looked at the GPS. THe direction of DeLuz was blank space, and the direction of De Luz Murrietta road seemed to be the route on the map I was somewhat following. But took the DeLuz just because it looked more interesting.

Just past the intesection I found this.

Looked like about 6 or 8 inches of water going across the road for quite a distance. SOme trucks went thru, the road surface seemed okay. I thought I would be okay to go that way, but also thought would seem quite stupid if anything happened. So, I decided against it. Went back to the intersection and took DeLuz Murrietta road.

Didnt get too far and found this.

Did not have to ponder that at all. Saw a truck go thru it and he was bouncing around before got to the obvious break in the pavement.
                                Pondered again going thru the overflow on De Luz Rd.
                                Felt the air temp dropping and clouds darkining and wind more blustry, so turned around and head back south.

THe road was just as fun going back south.
                                Into Falbrook and found a little diner for a small lunch. Then was colder and starting to sprinkle so headed back. Mission to CA76, back to home base. Must have been going opposite of the trafic light timing cus was having to stop at about every light. Was able to split at every light (or maybe that is "filtering").

Got rained on just a little. Made it back before the rain was heavier.

And... then....

...till April or May....

Last edited by Redman; 02-22-2019, 03:08 PM. Reason: And... then....

Comment

Working...
                                X