anyone go for a ride today? Pics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Burque73 View Post
    I took the GS to a metal scrapyard and asked if I could hop up on the scale with it. Sure, the attendant said, just don't break the scale. He must know about the old 850's being the heaviest of the lot. LOL

woe…662 lb. Ever drop it far from home?
    "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
    1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
    1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
    1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
      Unfortunately yes.
      Roger

Current rides
      1983 GS 850G
      2003 FJR 1300A
      Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
        Those engine bars make it a relative doddle to lift back up, as they act as a pivot point at just the right place to hoik the bike upwards, unlike the narrow engine and accordingly narrow protection bars on the XJ, which make it a total and absolute pin in the hairpiece to try getting upright.
        ---- Dave
        79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
        80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
        79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
        92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

I'd hesitate to use the word doddle, but those case guards do help a bit. Being on a flat paved surface, during the day, before getting exhausted on a 12 hour ride would definitely have helped too, but the odds were not in my favor there. At least the weather was nice...
          Roger

Current rides
          1983 GS 850G
          2003 FJR 1300A
          Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

After fueling up and hitting the scale yesterday, I headed East on old Route 66. There wer suprisingly few bikes on the road. Usually I'd pass other bikes every few minutes on that stretch, especially on Memorial Day weekend. Surely the corona virus is to blame for that.

Speaking of Corona, many a bottle had been enjoyed at this place over the years.

Heading further down 66, looking to the North across I-40 I saw an old west type storefront. The property owner said they built it for the haunted house that opens in October. These guys go all out after the harvest, cutting a maze in their corn field and rolling out a giant pumpkin cannon for the kids. It's private property, but I saw the owner brushing a horse in the barn and asked if he wouldn't mind me snapping a few pics. He was very accomodating and gladly gave me the go-ahead.

While I was visiting with Mr McCAll and having fun walking around the old Western town facad, Trevor was no doubt mulling over photos to decide on a new theme for the pic game. Before hitting the road, I checked for a new theme and knew exactly where to go.

Moriarty's tiny airport is a popular spot for soaring. As I rode toward the airport, I could see gliders being towed up to altitude then being released. Passing sign after sign advertising glider rides, I started to think seriously about going for it. Unfortunately, I only had $50 in my pocket and fees start at $100 plus they are booking flights welll in advance, so it wasn't meant to be. I'll plan a trip some other time as it has always been a dream to do this.

Walking back to the bike I snapped this pic.

I walked over to visit with the owner of that BMW GS and had a nice chat. They are both pilots and said they all get together and help push their aircraft around and support each other. Such a fun crowd to visit with. I mentioned the game we play, taking photos of our bikes that fit the theme and without hesitation they pointed to a group of guys next to the runway and said you need to walk over there and introduce yourself.

All of them are pilots and most are motorcyclists. BMW seemed to be the most popular bike, but one had an 85 GSXR 750. They invited me to briing the bike over and grab a few photos. Just watch for airplanes and don't cross the yellow lines, they said.

Here is the tow plane and a couple of gliders waiting for their turn. It seemed to only take a couple hundred feet to get airborn since there was a good headwind.

That was such a fun experience. I'll definitely head back with a few more bucks in my pocket for a ride in a glider.

So, ironically none of these pics wound up in the game thread. Go fugure.
            Roger

Current rides
            1983 GS 850G
            2003 FJR 1300A

Comment

Glider rides are a hoot...You'll like it.
              After my ride, I badly wanted to take lessons and fly one, but 30 years ago, the cash just wasn't there.
              Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
              '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Great pics! Lots of awesome corn mazes here each year, and a few great haunted houses, too.

On the subject of aviation, I'm about to ride down to Eloy to meet my oldest sister for a hand-off of a dish she makes that I absolutely love. Eloy isn't much of a place-unless you're into skydiving. I tried that twice on my 35th birthday, and have also taken students to the indoor skydiving facility there a few times. Not sure there will be any great pics to take, but I'll try.
                "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                1982 CB900f

Comment

Gonna have to make that glider ride happen for sure.

I made a few static line jumps when I was 20 and thoroughly enjoyed it. On the fifth jump I would have moved on to pulling the rip cord, hop and pop they called it, but in the weeks following my last jump I blew out my knee playing football in the park and never got back into skydiving. Then kids, life, work etc kept getting in the way.

Indoor skydiving is definitely on my list of things to do.
                  Roger

Current rides
                  1983 GS 850G
                  2003 FJR 1300A

Comment

Took a long ride yesterday on my 1100G, but only a short ride today.
                    We're swamped with tourists here, and they're walking, bicycling and Sunday driving everywhere…
                    Can't do my TT hooligan thing wit them clogging up every country road…bummer I'll just have to do some bicycling myself.
                    "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                    1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                    1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                    1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Took a couple of pics on the way back from Eloy.
                      3BB29DD8-FA21-4033-96EA-EB7C448663F9.jpg
                      ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                      1982 CB900f

Comment

This is in old town Florence.
                        C74E77BF-ABCA-4677-8AA4-EE0EF95A1047.jpg
                        ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                        1982 CB900f

Comment

Rob and I had a great day exploring the island today.

No signature

Comment

Took a 320 mile round trip out east to see a couple of waterfalls but only one was open (City of Columbus blocked the parking lot entrance to the first one). After I grabbed a picture for the Pic of the Week game, I stopped for a pizza at a local shop in Mt Vernon. It was sure nice of them to let me sit inside (only one table available) and though I didn't care for the taco pizza i ordered, it was still a nice break to get out of the sun for a bit. The second set of waterfalls were very busy (drove by the parking lot three times before I was able to actually park) but I enjoyed the view plus I'm sure the kids loved getting wet (close to 90 today).

People in Water by Scott Baker, on Flickr

Honey Run Falls by Scott Baker, on Flickr

On the way home, I noted that man can build anything yet mother nature truly has the final word

Vine Covered Barn by Scott Baker, on Flickr
                            Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Later in the Spring than usual but for many reasons yesterday was the first ride.
                              It felt great.

2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                                I like this. You're getting a good handle on moving water....
                                Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                                '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Working...
                                X