anyone go for a ride today? Pics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JATO View Post
    Here's some pictures of our trip. We started out in Minot, ND, headed east on Hwy 2 to Rugby, and then turned north to the International Peace Gardens on the US/Canadian border. I've been in North Dakota six years now and never once thought of visiting, I didn't think it would be like it was. The gardens are almost surreal when compared to the surrounding bare hills and endless prairie.

This is were we stopped for gas in Rugby, ND. Here is the geographic center of North America.

These are the Peace Towers in the Gardens. I was standing on the US/Canadian border facing south with one tower in the States and one in Canuk land. They were first envisioned in the '30s and built in 1982. They stand as a symbol of the longest unguarded and most peaceful border between two nations.

Picture of the fountain in the "formal garden."

Looking north towards the towers from the formal garden.

It was a great trip and an amazing experience. The gardens are so peaceful and quiet, it was so relaxing and rejuvenating just walking through. We spent over 4 hours looking around and riding around the park. If anyone ever gets a chance, definitely make the trip.
    Thanks for sharing! Looks like some perfect weather for a ride there too

Originally posted by loud et View Post
    Just went out to get some fresh air this afternoon. Ran into some thugs
    Hahahaha classic... thugs with beards I bet... and funny little hats...
    1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
    1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

The ride there was a bit damp and chilly but we were following the tail end of the storm front. It ended up turning into a perfect day for a little 230 mile road trip.

Comment

Originally posted by JATO View Post
        The ride there was a bit damp and chilly but we were following the tail end of the storm front. It ended up turning into a perfect day for a little 230 mile road trip.
        Excellent, it's always good when the day improves while you're out and about enjoying it
        1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
        1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

I finally got to take some time last weekend for a ride, they have been few and far between this summer. My wife headed off with the RV for a week in the West Kootenay and I went out after work on Friday taking Hwy 3 and 3a and we met at her brothers place on Kootenay Lake. Nice 300 km ride on some of my favourite local roads. Saturday we did a fabulous 18 km hike into Kokanee Glacier Park. Weather was perfect and wildflowers abundant. On Sunday I had to head for home but took a couple of enjoyable side trips that added some some mileage, some good roads and some great scenery. I went to Kaslo and the up to the summit on Hwy 31a towards New Denver. Usually I would have completed the loop to New Denver and down the Slocan Valley and then home but it was later in the day and boiling hot so I cut the trip shorter and returned home the same way I went. It still turned out be a total weekend distance of about 700 km. I didn't pack the camera so these photos were taken with my cell phone, sorry. Having lived here since 1979 one forgets what a great place this is until you talk to the tourists on the ferry ride across Kootenay Lake.

Hwy 3a near Ainsworth Hot Springs

Kootenay Lake Ferry

Kaslo, BC
          Last edited by Sandy; 08-13-2012, 07:41 PM.
          '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Stopped in the parking lot long enough to snap this photo at Artist Point, near Mt. Baker and headed back down. No offense to Canucks, but there was a group heading down on cruisers. I had to pull over three times to enjoy the curves. Also, it was mid Sunday so I should have expected this. First semi long ride in months.

Spent the last 3 weeks in a 25' RV, something I never thought to be driving. Washington to Michigan and back. 5200 miles roughly.

I saw a couple of thousand Harley's and their road going "costumes" heading for Sturgis. I spotted a couple of GS's in Minnesota and North Dakota and maybe 50 bikes that weren't Harley's. Never knew there were such beautiful roads in South Dakota.'
            GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Today's Bandit ride stopping at Province Lake in Maine on Rt 153. Great road, pretty spot and great bike for the ride.

Comment

Originally posted by Carter Turk View Post
                Stopped in the parking lot long enough to snap this photo at Artist Point, near Mt. Baker and headed back down. No offense to Canucks, but there was a group heading down on cruisers. I had to pull over three times to enjoy the curves. Also, it was mid Sunday so I should have expected this. First semi long ride in months.

Spent the last 3 weeks in a 25' RV, something I never thought to be driving. Washington to Michigan and back. 5200 miles roughly.

I saw a couple of thousand Harley's and their road going "costumes" heading for Sturgis. I spotted a couple of GS's in Minnesota and North Dakota and maybe 50 bikes that weren't Harley's. Never knew there were such beautiful roads in South Dakota.'
                Nice shot of your Kat, but could you move a little to the right next time or atleast stand up. That looks like some beautifull scenery in the background.
                GSRick
                No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
                Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Ok here's a shot of the mountain on a different day.
                  GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Spent a couple of hours wandering west of Indy.

Comment

Nice pics oldrookie, that road looks awesome, thanks for sharing.
                      ps 35 is way to slow.
                      No signature

Comment

Lotsa coastal fog today so headed inland.
                        Recently replaced fork seal leaking ... guess I'll try the flexible plastic fork seal scraper technique first .... grrrrrrr

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post
                          Nice pics oldrookie, that road looks awesome, thanks for sharing.
                          ps 35 is way to slow.
                          Only saw two cars in the 40 minutes I was on that road. Pretty sure you can treat the 35 limit as a suggestion without much risk. Not that I would. But you can.

Comment

Spent the day at a BRC-2 course today. A few Harleys, a Goldwing, a couple of newer Suzukis, a KLR, and my old bike went around in circles for about 7 hours. It was nice and I'll post up some pictures tomorrow.
                            Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Exploring SE Indiana

The end of the road in Rising Sun, Indiana:

Fortunately, I always maintain my sight distance for just such an occasion.

I had quite a wander around town. This was parked down by the river:

Something I've never seen launched from a boat ramp before:

Vintage float plane rides. I didn't ask how much. Just across Front Street from the ramp appears to be where they keep it and at least one other. I wish I had caught it in transit.

This concrete wall seems to have been erected solely to wear this mural:

Hoosier Boy is a race boat that was owned by J. W. Whitlock, a bit of a local hero at the time who seemed to be involved in furniture production. He raced it and a few others in the very early 20th century. The boat itself is on display at the Ohio County Historical Society museum, along with some of Whitlock's several inventions.

I was so fascinated by the engine, I forgot to take a picture of the whole boat.

This is a 400hp Liberty Engine. They were manufactured by several companies and were used in trucks, tanks and aircraft. Hoosier boy was clocked as fast as 62mph. In 1909 (if I remember the plaque correctly), Hoosier Boy ran just 49 seconds short of the mile-a-minute pace in a race from Louisville to Cincinnati and back. A record at the time.

At the controls:

Last edited by Dogma; 08-18-2012, 11:46 PM.
                              Dogma
                              --
                              O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                              '80 GS850 GLT
                              '80 GS1000 GT
                              '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Sydney to Patonga - Central Coast NSW Australia

It is the middle of winter here so sunny but only 19 C or 66 degrees F

My GS1000G

Rickman Kawasaki 1000

Z900 and Rickman
                                Johno

current rides 1981 GS1000G and 2005 GSX1400
                                1977 Kawasaki KZ400 D4

previous bikes 1978 GS1000HC
                                1977 GS400
                                1974 Montesa 250
                                1960s Kawasaki 175

Comment

Working...