• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hit the 10,000 mile mark for the year. So far so good. 👍
    Attached Files
    My Motorcycles:
    22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
    22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
    82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
    81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
    79 1000e (all original)
    82 850g (all original)
    80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

A rare daylight sighting. The overcast sky makes the bike look soooo good.
      On my ride home a guy on some sort of heavily bobbed and mini apehangered H-D ripped by in the fastlane giving an enthusiastic wave. I smiled.
      http://Suzuki GS by Glen Brenner, on Flickr
      sigpic
      When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
      -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
      -Rusty old scooter.
      Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
      https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
        A rare daylight sighting. ........
        And on a week day !

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Right? It was after work. I rode the Suzuki to the Suzuki dealer to pick up a some oil cooler washers. Traffic backs up going east on 33 at that time so I took back roads home and stopped at one of my photo spots. First time I ever took the bike there.
          sigpic
          When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
          -Rusty old scooter.

Comment

Got about 380 kliometers done today. Was going to Tromsø, but my friend texted me that he got drunk and got stranded on some island, so I postponed that til tomorrow and went on an adventure.

Weather was nice, apart from some tiny amount of drissle for a little while. When I got to the back roads I was mostly alone.

New tyre preformed well. Rear brake is probably still dragging (disc was HOT when I parked), but it works better with new pads and disc it seems. NO OIL LEAK FROM OIL PLUG OR OIL FILTER COVER

But the final drive rubber thing is still leaking and there is oil coming out of the engine cover on the transmission side. Can tell the oil from the back isnt from the engine (new engine oil is nice and yellow, while final drive oil is light greyish). its enough oil that the side stand and centre stand is wet with it.
            GS1000G 1981

Comment

You’re going to need to rebuild that rear caliper. should overhaul the MC too. I can see the rotor being a little warm but not hot when you park. Unless you’re on a lot of dirt roads where mostly rear brake only is warranted, your brake usage should be heavily weighted to the front.

As always, I really enjoy the great pictures of the beautiful scenery you travel through.
              Rich
              1982 GS 750TZ
              2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
              Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
                You’re going to need to rebuild that rear caliper. should overhaul the MC too. I can see the rotor being a little warm but not hot when you park. Unless you’re on a lot of dirt roads where mostly rear brake only is warranted, your brake usage should be heavily weighted to the front.

As always, I really enjoy the great pictures of the beautiful scenery you travel through.

Id rebuild it the day after tomorrow, if I could get the caliper off the torque arm. But the torque arm bolt is irremovable (or more likely I am lacking some specific skill or knowledge to remove it). I manage to make it spin, while holding the end with the cotter pin stil, but it still won't come out. I considered removing the other end but a wire is obstructing access so it seemed like a lot of work. I guess that is the clutch wire (since it goes into the place the clutch cover is on).

I did not hit any dirt roads today, and I did not excessively use the rear brakes. And based on me needing leverage to push the pistons apart, I agree they need rebuildnig.'

Yeah, it was a nice trip. Tomorrow I will go visit my friend in Tromsø.
                GS1000G 1981

Comment

Originally posted by Noreg View Post

But the final drive rubber thing is still leaking and there is oil coming out of the engine cover on the transmission side. Can tell the oil from the back isnt from the engine (new engine oil is nice and yellow, while final drive oil is light greyish). its enough oil that the side stand and centre stand is wet with it.
                  Final Drive rubber thing....?
                  Final Drive is the thing at the rear wheel.

Perhaps you mean rubber boot on the front of the shaft drive / rear of engine-transmission-SecondaryDrive.

850G uses gear oil (80-90 weight)(sometimes called hypod oil) in the Secondary Drive which has seperate oil from the engine.
                  Can tell if is gear oil also by the smell, the gear oil has a lot higher sulpher content that has a noticeable odor.

Sometime you have the time, you can loosen the big clamp on the rubber boot and pull it back some, let the oil drip out, and see if get some idea which way it is comming from. Probably from the secondary drive. THer are some big orings in there, that requires pulling out half of the the secondary drive. Maybe post in tech section, as will be a long discussion.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                  GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                    Final Drive rubber thing....?
                    Final Drive is the thing at the rear wheel.

Perhaps you mean rubber boot on the front of the shaft drive / rear of engine-transmission-SecondaryDrive.

850G uses gear oil (80-90 weight)(sometimes called hypod oil) in the Secondary Drive which has seperate oil from the engine.
                    Can tell if is gear oil also by the smell, the gear oil has a lot higher sulpher content that has a noticeable odor.

Sometime you have the time, you can loosen the big clamp on the rubber boot and pull it back some, let the oil drip out, and see if get some idea which way it is comming from. Probably from the secondary drive. THer are some big orings in there, that requires pulling out half of the the secondary drive. Maybe post in tech section, as will be a long discussion.
                    Oh, I was thinking the entire thing from the silver round disk to the transmission was the final drive. Didn't realize there were such a thing as a secondary drive.

The final drive oil doesn't seem to be dissapearing, if its gear oil I guess I need to top it up. But I believe the oil is the same (SAE 90 but I use 80w90).
                    GS1000G 1981

Comment

Not a good day. Did some socially distant shopping for the college bound son. It was at an outdoor mall, it was hot out, and most stores had lines to get in as they counted customers in / out. I'll never understand peoples need to not only bring dogs to these places, but also let them bark at other dogs and not care.
                      When that pain was over, I went to the in laws to put a permanent fix on their home A/C that had a leak.
                      by the time I was finished I was mentally and physically exhausted. Went home, showered, and against my better judgement went for a ride. I needed to be alone. I headed for what I hoped would be the darkest, most desolate road reasonably close. Instead I ended up in a long parade of widely spaced cars doing 60 in a heavily deer populated area. Enough of that. I turned off onto a much better road, and eventually pulled into a park near a pond I've passed many times. It had a park bench... nice. I sat and decompressed some more while looking at the stars.

http://Hiding out... from life for a few. by Glen Brenner, on Flickr
                      Last edited by dorkburger; 07-26-2020, 12:57 AM.
                      sigpic

Glen
                      -Rusty old scooter.

Comment

Gt out on the Bandit today...I'm loving this bike!

No signature

Comment

Jethro went for a ride!
                          Jedz Moto
                          1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                          1988 Honda GL1500-6
                          2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
                          2020 Honda Monkey Z125
                          2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
                          Originally posted by Hayabuser
                          Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Noreg View Post

Spectacular shot! Stunning really!
                            Jedz Moto
                            1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                            1988 Honda GL1500-6
                            2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
                            2020 Honda Monkey Z125
                            2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
                            Originally posted by Hayabuser
                            Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post
                              Gt out on the Bandit today...I'm loving this bike!

I think you're going to find that old bandit is WAAY under rated. I've kept my 03 B12 since new. I've always looked at other bikes with the thought of getting the latest improvements. But, nothing I have ridden all these years is better. A few are almost as good though. LOL It truly is a do everything well bike. The only thing I find it is not suited for is off road work, which I never intended it for. heh What else can you ride that would be doing 225mph at redline, and then happily run 20 mph in 5th gear and average 46 mpg? lol It isn't simple, but it is a simple to work on as you could hope for, and the real winner is that it is stone horse dependable.
                              All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
                                I think you're going to find that old bandit is WAAY under rated. I've kept my 03 B12 since new. I've always looked at other bikes with the thought of getting the latest improvements. But, nothing I have ridden all these years is better. A few are almost as good though. LOL It truly is a do everything well bike. The only thing I find it is not suited for is off road work, which I never intended it for. heh What else can you ride that would be doing 225mph at redline, and then happily run 20 mph in 5th gear and average 46 mpg? lol It isn't simple, but it is a simple to work on as you could hope for, and the real winner is that it is stone horse dependable.
                                Earl, you are right on the money! I really can't believe I've been missing out all these years. I am truly shocked and amazed by this bike.
                                No signature

Comment

Working...
                                X