No announcement yet.

anyone go for a ride today? Pics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did a quick overnighter up to Payson last night. Got stuck in a 13 mile section of 10 mph bumper-to-bumper due to a lane closure (caused by repairs to collapsed barricades from the recent major fire), and, as I rolled into town (where it was "only" 103 instead of 114 down south), a vehicle fire on a forest road caused a brush fire (which at least ten fire trucks descended on and snuffed out in short order).

After a great lunch (a Hatch chili cheesesteak and a big Tower Station IPA) at Macky's, watching a big rain system roll in (and feeling the temps drop 20+ degrees in minutes), I rode into the forest north of town and got absolutely hammered by the rain. I love rain rides, so it was therapy. Rolled back into town, watched horrible Shark Week shows for a couple of hours, then rode up to the Buffalo Bar for an elk burger. This morning, I hit Duza's for an amazing breakfast of naan, hummus, feta, kalamatas, dolmas, cucumbers, tomatoes and eggs. Met a really cool young couple who were also on Harleys (a VRod and a Sportster). Enjoyed shooting the s#it with them before saddling up and heading home. The Beeline Highway is a fun set of sweepers through mountains, and descending from 5000 feet to Phoenix's 1200 made for a great ride.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by GS1150Pilot; 08-16-2020, 03:20 PM.
    "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
    1982 CB900f

Comment

Here's the rain coming down.
      B262FCEC-A664-47BE-BF13-C987B7CF2C76.jpg
      "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
      ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
      1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post
        On the highway when cornering. I’m sure lots of people like them... for me it was a confidence thing
        Concrete or asphalt? I totally get where you are coming from, we need to trust our tyres. Not trusting them impacts riding and compounds the risks. When I ride in bellow-freezing I always worry too much and that ruins my flow.

I think the speeds over the pound is quite different, here the fastest I can go legally is 110, but only 90 around where I live (have to go quite far to get 110, unless I cross the border).
        GS1000G 1981

Comment

Originally posted by Noreg View Post
          Concrete or asphalt? I totally get where you are coming from, we need to trust our tyres. Not trusting them impacts riding and compounds the risks. When I ride in bellow-freezing I always worry too much and that ruins my flow.

I think the speeds over the pound is quite different, here the fastest I can go legally is 110, but only 90 around where I live (have to go quite far to get 110, unless I cross the border).
          It was asphalt
          No signature

Comment

It was asphalt
            And living on Vancouver Island I need all the wet weather confidence I can get...lol and I too ride all year in all conditions.
            No signature

Comment

And living on Vancouver Island I need all the wet weather confidence I can get...lol and I too ride all year in all conditions.
              Sadly there is several months a year I cannot ride. From november/december to mid april there is snow and ice. If I had witner tyres I could probably ride every month except january and parts of february. But I struggle to find tyres for my bike that is studded. Or even unstudded ones (could have them studded).

If I even lived a bit more south I could ride all year, or if I get another bike.
              GS1000G 1981

Comment

Went out last night. It was generally relaxed meander. I rode the mostly empty late Sunday night streets. I weaved between the center line reflectors, rode on the right side of the road, rode on the wrong side of the road, did a revolution and a half around a traffic circle, saw a family of Raccoons and a boatload of Deer. The Deer were well behaved, only picking up their heads and paying homage to the awesome old Suzuki passing by.

http://Untitled by Glen Brenner, on Flickr
                sigpic
                When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                -Rusty old scooter.
                Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

I got out this morning for a nice cool ride with temps in the mid 60's and low humidity, very unusual for August in Nebraska.

I wonder how many of you forum members other than Scott (cowboyup) have seen this place. It is one of the top two attractions worth seeing in this state.

IMG_20200817_105216874 by Larry Alkire, on Flickr

IMG_20200817_105305871_HDR by Larry Alkire, on Flickr
                  Larry

'79 GS 1000E
                  '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
                  '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
                  '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
                  '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

A couple of better pics.

IMG_20200817_105058886 by Larry Alkire, on Flickr

IMG_20200817_105147212 by Larry Alkire, on Flickr
                    Larry

'79 GS 1000E

Comment

Originally posted by alke46 View Post
                      I got out this morning for a nice cool ride with temps in the mid 60's and low humidity, very unusual for August in Nebraska.

I wonder how many of you forum members other than Scott (cowboyup) have seen this place. It is one of the top two attractions worth seeing in this state.

IMG_20200817_105216874 by Larry Alkire, on Flickr

IMG_20200817_105305871_HDR by Larry Alkire, on Flickr
                      Originally posted by alke46 View Post
                      A couple of better pics.

IMG_20200817_105058886 by Larry Alkire, on Flickr

IMG_20200817_105147212 by Larry Alkire, on Flickr
                      I actually want to go back just to look through the museum some more
                      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Yep, there's lots to see and read once inside.
                        Larry

'79 GS 1000E

Comment

Hey Larry, you mentioned the Air Museum is one of the top two things to see in Nebraska. What's the other must see? CORN? 😃
                          My Motorcycles:
                          22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                          22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                          82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                          81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                          79 1000e (all original)
                          82 850g (all original)
                          80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

That's about the size of it Norm.
                            Larry

'79 GS 1000E

Comment

I left Las Vegas yesterday and just didn't want to take the same route home so I headed North, way North straight up hwy 93 to Twin Falls Idaho. Then headed East staying in Pocatello for the night.

This morning I headed towards Jackson Hole Wyoming then through Grand Teton National Park. Continued on hwy 26 and 287 through Wyoming and meandered my way into Colorado.

I found a cool old hotel in the hills near Steamboat Springs to stay the night. 600+ miles Monday and just shy of 600 today. Tomorrow I'll head back into New Mexico. Should be a much easier day, just 450 ish miles left.

Can't upload pics right now for some reason. What a ride! Mostly sunny skies, not more than a few drops of rain in the last 2000 miles. I've never taken a journey like this and already can't wait to plan the next one.
                              Roger

Current rides
                              1983 GS 850G
                              2003 FJR 1300A
                              Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Sounds like you are making the most of it Roger. Good decision on adding the extra riding and getting used to the new to you bike. At 600 miles during the last two days, I'd say you're probably going to keep the Yammie.
                                Larry

'79 GS 1000E

Comment

Working...
                                X