No announcement yet.

anyone go for a ride today? Pics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On Wednesday after work I headed up toward Durango, CO. had a great ride for the first 250 miles of this trip. I made it into CO around sunset and checked into a hostel in Mancos around 10pm for a nap. Never stayed at a hostel before. There were four sets of bunk beds in the room, but only one other traveler in there across the room from me. They were sleeping when I got there and still asleep when I left. I was up and out the door by 5:30 am. A brisk start to the day at 45° F. It'll be way too hot soon enough though.

I crossed the state line at sunup.

Very little traffic on Thursday morning in Monument Valley.

I was zigzagging between Arizona and Utah for most of the day. Here's a shot overlooking a small part of Lake Powell from Arizona.

Shortly after leaving the Lake Powell area I got word that my daugher was going in for a C-section so I didn't stop for pics after that. By yesterday she was a week past her due date. Her water actually broke the night before, but it was not obvious that was what happened. Anyway, it was getting really hot, triple digits by noon.

Speaking of triple digits, the FJR is a phenomenal machine! I covered 570 miles yesterday. Made it to Vegas at 3pm. I wasn't worn out from the ride either. Good thing too since four of my grandchildren met me at the door what I arrived on Nellis Air Force Base in Las Vegas.

Coming through the mountains on I-15 near the Utah/ Arizona border has to be one of the most intense stretches of road I've ever ridden. Heavy traffic with most of it being big trucks, narrow lanes, no shoulder, high winds and everyone hauling azz. One of my most butt puckering moments on two wheels for sure. My tendency was to hang on with a death grip, tense up and lock my elbows. Not good! Had to fight that and relax my grip, bend elbows, breathe and just roll with traffic. I just kept thinking, OK, stay in your lane and we'll get along fine here.

Oh, baby Raven and my daughter are fine. Raven weighs 7lbs 5oz and is healthy, momma is recoving and they will likely be home tomorrow.
    Roger

Current rides
    1983 GS 850G
    2003 FJR 1300A
    Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Roger, that is some amazing views.

I so want to try riding on straight roads like that. Its so weird seeing straight roads from the airplane. In Norway we make sure to put in a turn every few metres to keep youi awake.

Doesnt it get super warm?

Edit: I was so distracted by your photos I didn't even register you had a baby. Congratulations.
      Last edited by Noreg; 08-14-2020, 03:31 PM.
      GS1000G 1981

Comment

Originally posted by Burque73 View Post
        baby Raven and my daughter are fine. Raven weighs 7lbs 5oz and is healthy, momma is recoving and they will likely be home tomorrow.
        Congratulations !!

Oh and incredible views over there .... wauw
        Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
        VM Carb rebuild tutorial
        Bikecliff's website
        The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

Yes, that is a great looking area and congratulations on the granddaughter
          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Roger, Good trip report. Good pics.
            Wow, 570 miles in a day and arriving in afternoon.
            And more grandkids.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
            GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Congrats Roger. Very nice ride report.
              Larry

'79 GS 1000E
              '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
              '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
              '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
              '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

I would love to visit Utah one day... loved the scenery since seeing the Cars movie.

Got the RF out tonight.

2022 Suzuki GSX-S1000GT
                2007 Triumph Bonneville T100 w/sidecar

2005 Suzuki Hayabusa

Dave

Comment

Roger, congratulations to you and your daughter on the birth of baby Raven. Nice to have grandchildren to spoil!
                  1981 GS850G "Blue Magic" (Bike Of The Month April 2009)

1981 GS1000G "Leo" (Bike Of The Month August 2023)

Comment

Thanks for the congrats guys. We're very excited to see Raven. The other four are cousins visiting from Ridgrest, CA. They're the ones that got shaken by earthquakes last year in Ridgecrest. My grandkids are chomping at the bit to ride with me, even if only around the block. If they'd get going early enough we can ride a bit. I brought an extra helmet, mainly for my wife who hasn't ridden on this bike yet, but the kids' heads are big enough to use it for a short while.

Noreg; Yes, it gets super warm here to say the least. Yesterday in Vegas it was 115°. That's one reason I went to Colorado first. It's no quite as hot along that route. The scenery is amazing. These long straight roads certainly allow one to soakthe scenery. (how odd, my spacebar just started deleting the text and I can't correct it)

Dave (Busa); You sure have a cool collection of bikes. I really enjoy seeing them. Cars is one of my favorite cartoon movies. Its fun riding through the landscape that inspired that movie. If you ever do get to visit the area, also check out Seligman AZ. That town was the main drag in the movie. It was true that the interstate bypassed the town and it got forgotten. Such a cool spot to walk and visit with shop owners and see old Rte 66 memorabilia.
                    Roger

Current rides
                    1983 GS 850G
                    2003 FJR 1300A
                    Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

I was out riding yesterday, it was pouring cats and dogs, so naturally I couldn't pass up the opportunity to get out on my bike and test the new tyres as I now have BT46 on both front and rear. Honestly, the rear tyre feels no different from the BT45 to me, my riding might be a bit relaxed though. But the front BT46 is a real improvement, the tyre has much less of an inclination to follow cracks in the asphalt (like tar snakes, or cracks or crevices). I find it much more enjoyable to ride on, but I find it looks less good with all the added thread pattern.

Bike is still leaking oil, but it felt like it was less, although my wife said she could smell burnt oil as I was parking my bike.

I now understand why people upgrade the lights, it was DARK for once (because of clouds, doesn't get very dark otherwise). I wonder if a new bulb would help, and i am somewhat suspecting the light is slightly low. Ill go out and measure it some day.

I like the rain, and my rain clothes kept me nice and dry mostly, but my butt got wet, I think Ill dry of the seat next time.
                      GS1000G 1981

Comment

That has been my only complaint about the BT45.....following tar snakes, cracks and metal grating in metal bridges.
                        2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
                          That has been my only complaint about the BT45.....following tar snakes, cracks and metal grating in metal bridges.
                          I tried BT's ...slipped in the rain...never used them again and have never slipped in the rain again....Avon's and Pirelli's are all I use now on my classic bikes.
                          No signature

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
                            I think the thinner centre thread is what does it. Probably that is why they need the extra thread pattern around it. I also think the centre thread is less snaky and more straight. I don't like the looks of the threads but I am very happy with the way they handle (the front, for the rear I would chose the cheapest one avail).

Sorry about the confusing angle.
                            GS1000G 1981

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post
                              I tried BT's ...slipped in the rain...never used them again and have never slipped in the rain again....Avon's and Pirelli's are all I use now on my classic bikes.
                              I was thinking when these two wear out, Id chose another set of tyres. Pirelli has some interesting ones I think.

Like when braking? Or cornering?

I wouldn't mind some more long lasting tyres than the BTs. But grip wise, apart from sand and snow these have been great for me. My rear slipped when heavily accelerating on gravel once though (was entering a priority road and giving it hard throttle).
                              GS1000G 1981

Comment

Originally posted by Noreg View Post
                                I was thinking when these two wear out, Id chose another set of tyres. Pirelli has some interesting ones I think.

Like when braking? Or cornering?

I wouldn't mind some more long lasting tyres than the BTs. But grip wise, apart from sand and snow these have been great for me. My rear slipped when heavily accelerating on gravel once though (was entering a priority road and giving it hard throttle).
                                On the highway when cornering. I’m sure lots of people like them... for me it was a confidence thing
                                No signature

Comment

Working...
                                X