No announcement yet.

anyone go for a ride today? Pics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last weekend, well 4 day weekend, June 8-9-10-11, twenty some of us GSR folks went for lots of rides.

Brown County (Indiana) Rally

Pics start here in the thread, post 89....
    Greetings, gentlecreatures of supreme velocity and exquisite taste! This year's designated dates of delight, delectation, derring-do, and demure debauchery are: arrive Thursday, June 8, 2023 depart Sunday, June 11, 2023 Based, as ever, at the palatial Rosemount Motel in bucolic Bedford, Indiana. Which is actually two

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Camping and riding with Jedz123 and Eli69

Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 06-19-2023, 07:52 AM.
      Rich
      1982 GS 750TZ
      2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
      Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

A little different angle from Rich's picture above. About a half mile away and a few hundred feet above our camping spot.

2002 bmw r1150gs 1978 gs1000E skunk les pew 1979 gs1000L dragbike
        82 gs1100L probably the next project
        1980 gs1000G the ugly 1978 gs750E need any parts?
        https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m_m2oYJkx1A
        1978 gs1000E skunk #2 RLAP

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
          Camping and riding with [USER="18790"]////////

.... .. . . .

Nice.
          THanks.

A GS (zuki), a GS (beemer), and a Wing.

Nice pics of the three of youse.

Must be a story about bikes on side of road, pointed in different directions, and Eli looking off in distance.

ANd pic on dirt road, no sign of the Wing.

GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

OK, here goes.

Saturday after breakfast at a nice little cafe in Wellsboro, we rode to a town called Forksville and to nearby Worlds End State Park. About a 1-1/2 hour ride. Sorry no pics of the covered bridge we rode through or the state park. On the return, I told the guys I wanted to take a detour to a place that is special to me. In 2013 I led my Boy Scouts with son Max, and again in 2016 with Max and Noah, for a week of scout camp at nearby Camp Brule. In 2019, the BSA closed the camp and I wasn’t sure what became of it.

The Dirty Bird parked opposite- Justin rode past us and turned around. I said that’s fine, keep pointed that way, as I intended to take us down a dirt road in that direction to see something else. As I was reminiscing, telling the guys about the great times I had with my boys at this once great camp, a young man who had obviously been working on some machinery from the grease on his hands and day-glo green t-shirt walked up the road from his house to meet us. I knew that the house had previously been occupied by the caretaker/groundskeeper of the camp.

He greeted us, asking if we were alright, not sure why 3 motorcyclists would be parked here. I assured him we were fine and asked if he was the caretaker- he is. I told him about my history at the camp and inquired about its current ownership. He explained that the camp was sold to a private investor who was not currently doing anything with the property other than maintaining it for some possible future use. Said his family had been the caretakers of the property for many years and the new owner kept him on. So this young man, wife and child were able to stay in the very nice house, cut the grass, maintain the buildings, etc for free. He worked from home in a tech field. He allowed u to go beyond the cable blocking the entrance and walk down to the lake- the central defining feature of the property. We thanked him and walked around a bit. This is what it looks like now.

This is what it looked like as an active Scout camp. Mix of pics from 2013 & 2016

After we left the camp, I led the guys a mile or so down a dirt road. These roads are well maintained and extremely busy at times with trucks as the connect a few natural gas fracking facilities. No traffic at all on this day. My first year at the camp I went for a walk down this road and discovered the waterfall. During camp there can be periods of time where the kids are all at their merit badge classes, and unless my kid was doing something active like swimming, lifesaving, boating, shooting, etc. I didn’t bother hanging around for the classroom type badges. On numerous occasions I visited the waterfall to photograph it, sit in quiet solitude, or read. And I kept it a secret.

This is a pic of the same waterfall on my first visit in 2013. There was quite a bit more water flow, almost all the way across.

In 2016, it was barely a trickle, not worth posting pics.

It was really nice to share all of this with the guys. I think they appreciated what it meant to me.

The pic of my GS750 and Eli69's BMW are from Sunday morning. Justin got up, packed up and rolled out before dawn for the 6+ hour ride back to Vermont. It was Father's Day after all, and he had a sweet little girl waiting for him at home. I saw him off but went back to my tent to get a few more hours' sleep. After we got up, farted around, made coffee, ate a bit and broke camp, we rolled out about 9:30am. Eli wanted to try to find the top of the nearly vertical hill that defines the western border of the campground. We found a road that went up that way but it didn't go anywhere where we could get a good shot of the valley below. So we shot the bikes at place that still showed a bit of a scenic overlook for the Pic of the Week game.

so, as Paul Harvey said, “And now you know….the rest of the story.
            Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 06-19-2023, 11:01 PM.
            Rich
            1982 GS 750TZ
            2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

It was a great 4 days living off the bike. It's been over 2 years since my first (mini) touring ride. Over 1100 miles logged on the trip.

I departed Thursday late as work called and I ended up assisting them for a few hours. Than I was able to break away finally and head to my first stop in Elmira NY at my friend's house.

I took the back way into Elmira staying off the interstate. Started at the Ferry the crosses Lake Champlain from Shoreham Vermont to Ticonderoga NY. Right off the road i live on VT-73

My ride out took me through the ADK mountain range and came across some gorgeous outlooks on the way out

Ended the day with the better part of 450 glorious miles on.
              Day2
              Pouring rain most of the day. In the morning my buddy took me the long way to Waynesboro where we met up with Rich and had a later breakfast.
              At that point Ken returned to NY and Rich and I set out to find camp.

That day i learned riding in fresh tar & chip in the rain sucks!!! Eli69 joined the party later in the afternoon.

We just hung out, I ate WAY TOO MANY Amish cheesy poofs but enjoyed the company as we shot the *@%^$*@%^$*@%^$*@%^$ next to the campfire all night. Finished the day with over 150 miles on.
              Last edited by Jedz123; 06-20-2023, 08:01 AM.
              Jedz Moto
              1980 Suzuki GS1000G
              1988 Honda GL1500-6
              2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
              2020 Honda Monkey Z125
              2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
              Originally posted by Hayabuser
              Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Day 3
                We got up and headed out with Rich82GS750TZ as our guide.

It was a slower paced ride and we hit some nice technical roads. We than ventured off the beaten path and stopped at some very near and dear spots for Rich. Very nice of him to share those experiences.

It was nice to ride on the dirt roads with Eli and Rich. I told Rich that I could ride on these roads all day. It was slow paced and nice. to see such beauty with no traffic. I ended up getting sucked into meditation at this little private waterfall. It was stunning. Just a great day. We did stop and have a stellar lunch at some Italian joint. Went back to camp hung out, tossed back a few beers (Ginger ones for me) and I hit the hay early.

I think we had a little over 100 miles on that day. It was definitely more about the experience off the bikes than the ride that day.

Day 4
                I awoke around 4 AM and broke camp down in the dark. Rich got up to send me off as I think Lyle was working off those Buschs from the night prior. I think I was officially under way 4:45AM. 360 miles all interstate I caught a stellar sunrise and some great overlooks.

Kept the Wing thrumming along at 70MPH and yielded just about 40MPG which resulted in needing only 2 fuel stops for my ride home. I pulled in for fuel at my first stop 210miles on the first tank and put in 5.3 Gallons to brim the 5.5 gallon tank. Once I got off the interstate system in Queensbury NY I got fuel again and a coffee and realized I was running 1.5 hours ahead of schedule. So I decided to take the back way home, hitting familiar twistys and even coming home through a class 4 dirt road.

I got home on time for my Father's day lunch. Over 450 miles on for the day in just about 7 hours. I learned I really love "The Dirty Bird". It's by far the best bike I've ever taken on a long trip and it's just so competent no matter what's under it's tires, it being; tar, interstate, back highway, Chip & seal and even rough dirt.
                Rolled into the driveway with gratitude for Rich and Lyle's company, for my family and being allowed to experience another day in this existence.

Cheers!
                -Jedz
                Last edited by Jedz123; 06-20-2023, 08:04 AM.
                Jedz Moto
                1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                1988 Honda GL1500-6
                2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
                2020 Honda Monkey Z125
                2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
                Originally posted by Hayabuser
                Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Looks like all was great for everyone. Tickled for ya'll, Congrats... For me, I'd have been completely out of place. For me, riding a st. bike on a gravel, dirt, or any unpaved rd. has always been a NO NO. I've BTDT a couple of times, but I done it on an accident, sure not on purpose.
                  1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Wow! You fellows were just a few miles from Colton Point and the Pine Creek Gorge, just South of Ansonia, PA.
                    You saw some Beautiful, and BIG country. Thanks for sharing. Nice camera work, too.
                    Jim, in Central New York State.

1980 GS750E (bought used June,1983)
                    1968 CB350 Super Sport (bought new Oct,1968)
                    1962 CA77 305 Dream (bought used Feb,1963)

Comment

Yes, Pine Creek Gorge, or the PA Grand Canyon, was close by. Saved that for next time. I’m trying to get Glen Dorkburger to join us. He has family that run an Inn there. My wife and I have booked a few days middle of July in a cabin at the same campground where we stayed, Plan to do some hiking in the canyon and general sightseeing.
                      Rich
                      1982 GS 750TZ
                      2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Thanks for the Rich-Eli-Jedz adventure report.

Comment

just to let you know that I do get the GK out.

(my desktop puter went kaput, fumbling here to find other means of posting pics)

6DF714BF-3CAA-46DF-8F93-F11C143C07B1.jpg
                          Last edited by Redman; 06-22-2023, 11:12 PM.

Comment

C2BCE327-73AA-49E2-8ADA-47454756388B.jpg

Comment

Hey Dave, nice to see your GK running well again!
                              1981 GS850G "Blue Magic" (Bike Of The Month April 2009)

1981 GS1000G "Leo" (Bike Of The Month August 2023)

Comment

Got out yesterday on.......a HONDA....now in my garage...lol
                                For more info on my Honda...
                                Think some of you know that I grew up in SW Ontario....have family and fr1iends there....last year I did my first motorcycle r1ide back there from BC...the total trip was around 10,000kms (6300 miles) I want to make it an annual trip but the cost and the time away if a lot....so I have been mulling around the idea of buying2 a

No signature

Comment

Working...
                                X