No announcement yet.

anyone go for a ride today? Pics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Went up to Norris again. Needed some photos for a different forum photo challenge

TT600 at Norris Dam by R John Thieda, on Flickr

TT600 at Norris Dam by R John Thieda, on Flickr

Day 7 - Norris Dam by R John Thieda, on Flickr
    Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
    '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
      Nice! Dealer hold over?
      No from a private owner who rode it once and parked it. He has neuropathy in his feet and hands and his ankle got up against the engine and burned it really bad since he couldn't feel it. So he decided it was best not to ride it. It then sat there for a couple years before deciding to sell it. My luck I guess.
      Current Bikes:
      2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
        Went up to Norris again. Needed some photos for a different forum photo challenge
        ​​​​​…

[url
        good enough reason.
        and, hey, got some pics for us too.
        nice.

one at least, seems like wide angle.

also looks like nice day for ride.
        (Mine this morning I should have had liner back in jacket.)

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Got out on my 83 750 today....not riding it nearly enough....actually thought maybe I should sell it....

No signature

Comment

6 sessions at the Ridge, it decided to rain right before the morning riders meeting, Ugh!
            Skipped 1st wet session, then went out on wet track with light mist.
            It was very slick & dicey. Next session track began to get a dry line & the pace picked up.
            Afternoon was perfectly dry.
            I got disciplined by a control rider at the end of the day (last session) for apparently passing a guy who turned in to early on a double apex & got sucked out wide, leaving the door open to slip by.
            The other guy braked way too early so I passed him on the outside.
            I feel bad that I may have spooked them & they lost concentration for moment.
            Technically, were not supposed to pass on the inside, but this guy was moving away from me when I attempted to pass.
            Then the control rider told me he has crashed at least 75 times & doesn't want see anyone get hurt.
            GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Part of this mornings ride

GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Now, before you think I parked in a marsh,
                here is another view

And a pic from somewhere else I stopped. Someplace with a view of what you have seen before.
                In a parking lot, looking across the road, looking down the river channel, out the piers, out into Lake Michigan.

Can also see the U-turn sign across the street that you may have heard about. WHile I was in this parking lot this morning, I saw two cars from parking lot across the street make a left turn out of there, same as I did on occassion I got ticket for u-turn ($150 & 3 points). I - Didnt - Let - it - bother - me - - - - and went for walk on boardwalk and pier.

Garsch, when I walk back to bike, and see it, I say what a great looking bike, I enjoy it so much. I think I will have this bike untill I can no longer through a leg over it. Just stand there and smile.

And then had to make the tough choice that I have a few days a week : Which coffee shop to go to.

PS Note:
                THe other day I pulled the GK out of the garage, and, without putting down sidestand back down, I went to throw leg over, and as I was doing that, somehow the bike leant more toward me and against my standing leg and about pushed me over, had a bit of a struggle to keep the bike up holding with the handlebars while I was on one leg, took some effort to get other leg back off the bike so had two feet on ground on the side bike was leaning. I did manage it, but elbow hurt for a couple days after.
                Okay, guess I need sidestand down when mounting bike.

Last edited by Redman; 09-13-2023, 04:33 PM.

Comment

Beautiful pictures as always Dave.
                  But, I have a question, a question that I think everyone else also has...
                  Did you tell your wife about the $150 ticket?
                  Haha
                  My Motorcycles:
                  22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                  22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                  82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                  81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                  79 1000e (all original)
                  82 850g (all original)
                  80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

First Poker Run today.

Never did a group ride like this before. Wouldn’t have done it but it was to raise funds to offset medical costs for my wife’s cousin, recently diagnosed with stage 4 metastatic breast cancer. Young, 47, chief of police and mayor of small town where we’re from. Her name is Nikki. Great person, terrific mom.

Never been a fan of group rides, especially when the objective is to stop at numerous bars. I don’t drink when I ride. Would rather have all my faculties. I’ll have a beer when the ride is done. Not judging. I just don’t want to be involved in someone else’s drunken mishap. Everyone today seemed well behaved. It wasn’t a big parade type of ride. You rode by yourself or with your group of friends, at your own pace, visiting the bars in whatever order you want to pick your cards. Prizes to be awarded for best and worst hands. I had no idea what a poker run was. Had to look it up. I have no friends who ride at the event, but did chat with 2 couples on 2 HDs at registration. We rode together to the next bar. As I had GPS, I lead.

20 miles into this first leg of the ride, I was really hammering the throttle up a straight mountain incline. All of a sudden, I felt my bike’s engine power go sorta limp. Didn’t die. Kept running. Just became gutless. Great, just as I was getting into the most exciting part of the trip. I know this twisty mountain road like the back of my hand. Travelled it hundreds of times by car in my teens to get to work. I was about to leave the HDs In my dust or at least show them some great corner carving. Nope. It wasn’t meant to be. Bike was down on power. Taking off from stop signs became tricky, requiring much clutch feathering. The HD driver that was behind me said he saw white/blue smoke from my exhaust going up that hill. We parted ways after this. Or rather, they didn’t look for me before taking off for their next stop. I did chat a while with an older gentleman about his 2022 Triumph Rocket III.

I rode by myself the rest of the day. All the while debating whether to just head home. Made it to the third bar, in my hometown, where I chatted with Nikki’s brother Kerry, who was dealing the cards at that stop. Kerry owns and operates a body shop/towing company. He made sure I had his cell number in case my bike died somewhere in my travels. I thanked him and hoped I wouldn’t need it. Then took off for the fourth bar, just 10 miles away. Made it. Picked my card at the bar and took the pic below.

Left for the fifth bar, same as the first. Filled up gas. Hoping beyond any reason that maybe I just got bad gas in the morning on my way out. I’m not that lucky. On this stretch. I got to a long flat straight stretch, and gently laid on the throttle. 75mph was my top speed. Uggh. I finally made it to last stop. Picked my card. I could very well win worst hand. Oh, well. I sat by myself, and had a very good cheesesteak and French fries. Chatted with an older HD rider in the parking lot about his ‘82 GS650G that he hasn’t ridden in years.

Probably about 200 vehicles involved today. Only a handful of Jap, British, German, Italian mostly modern bikes. Mostly HDs, of course. Second in number, quite a few cam-am three wheeled type vehicles. Some very nice classic cars, like an incredible looking customized ‘37 Ford Coupe (according to Kerry) sorry I didn’t get a pic. And this sweet Gran Torino, with my bike behind it.

I’ve been burning oil since at least the start of summer. My guess is I need new valve stem seals. I’ll start a thread after I check my plugs and some other things and see what I can see. I’m just glad I made it home. Just shy of 250 miles of mostly great roads. Too bad I couldn’t really enjoy it. Weather was great. Now I’m enjoying a beer or two, as much as I can while contemplating the end of my riding season.

Whatever the issues with my bike, I know my friends here will help me get it squared away.

This ended up being a much longer post than intended. Congrats if you made it to the end.
                    Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 09-17-2023, 11:32 AM.
                    Rich
                    1982 GS 750TZ
                    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Tough luck on the bike, Rich but good on ya for participating in the fundraiser.
                      2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by storm 64 View Post
                        . . . . . .
                        Did you tell your wife about the $150 ticket?
                        Haha
                        Yep. She didnt think I should bother with going for court hearing.
                        (Magistrate did lower fine, I suspect he thought the cop was a jerk. And did arrange for a "traffic class" that then not report points to insurance. But that is all another big story.)
                        Last edited by Redman; 09-16-2023, 10:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
                          First Poker Run today.

Never did a group ride like this before. Wouldn’t have done it but it was to raise funds to offset medical costs for my wife’s cousin, recently diagnosed with stage 4 metastatic breast cancer. Young, 47, . . . . . . .

I rode by myself the rest of the day. . . . .
                          THanks for sharing the story (storys). Well told.

Good of you to represent the family in this bad situation.

Intersting how the poker run (ha, now you know what that means) was organised so it avoided the problem of a big group ride.

Will look for the tech post.
                          Last edited by Redman; 09-16-2023, 10:26 PM.

Comment

Rich, thanks for the report and best wishes with the situation. It's never a good feeling have an ailing bike and waiting for the shoe to drop.

I've done two poker runs and am not a fan either. One was set up my my late father's friend and the other in memory of my uncle so I felt obligated to participate. Personally I'd prefer to spend the time with a couple of close friends and just ride....
                            sigpic
                            When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                            -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                            -Rusty old scooter.
                            Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                            https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                            https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Got home late Sunday night from a 10 day trip to VT and NH. Started out very rainy and stayed that way for the first few days. This pic from when I finally found a cup of coffee. The place was about to close but the lady felt sorry for me and brought some out that was about to get dumped. The first 200 or so miles on the NYS Thruway (Rt. I 90) was a pretty constant downpour and the first place I stopped for gas was under construction and had no coffee. The second stop I made had a broken coffee machine. I found a wallet in the parking lot there and turned it in but left without a dang coffee.

The two beemers at this years Northeast GSR Rally in Vermont.

Our very cozy digs at the rally.

I did some back roads in VT. There had been some bad weather there recently. Lot's of washed out roads.

This one got really bad.

This spot was on a pretty rough and steep forest road in the White Mountains of New Hampshire. I was glad I had the ADV bike but I think the Ugly would have made it there. For those that don't know the Ugly is my 81 GS1000G.

Camping spot in in NH White Mountains.

I had this spot all to myself to watch the sunset. It's 7 miles in on a forest road in the White Mountains. There was even a loon on the water.

2002 bmw r1150gs 1978 gs1000E skunk les pew 1979 gs1000L dragbike
                              82 gs1100L probably the next project
                              1980 gs1000G the ugly 1978 gs750E need any parts?
                              https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m_m2oYJkx1A
                              1978 gs1000E skunk #2 RLAP

Comment

Rode up to the Rice Grist Mill for some photos yesterday....About 30 minutes away.
                                Took a few photos....

When I went to leave, barely got the bike to start, so straight back home.
                                Picking up a new battery this morning...

GS1100E and Mill -Day 20 - Outtake by R John Thieda, on Flickr

Mill - Day 20 by R John Thieda, on Flickr

GS1100E - Day 20 - Outtake by R John Thieda, on Flickr
                                Last edited by Baatfam; 09-23-2023, 07:01 PM.
                                Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                                '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Working...
                                X