This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Redman View Post
    Am Awaiting the further story of you on scooter with fuzzy teddy bear at Sturgis during bike week.
    Nobody so much as batted an eye. You have to realize that almost all of the other riders there are themselves in costume. Think Mardi Gras, not Wild Ones. And except for their incredible rudeness and lack of consideration on the noise issue, they are about as nice and polite a group of folks as you are ever likely to meet.
    Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Claimed by Hurricane Irma 9/11/2017:
    80 GS850G / 2005 Yamaha Majesty / 83 GS1100E / 2000 BMW R1100RT / 2014 Suzuki DL650

Comment

Stator has moved on

Stator is now en route to Allie via UPS. She should have him tomorrow. He left here Wednesday, the 20th, two months to the day from when I received him in June. I already miss the little fella.

I believe his next stop after Allie will be Ohio? There probably won't be enough time between now and then, but I am leaving for Cranbrook BC on Sept 5th and would be willing to pick him up along the way and deliver him there. Another plan to consider would be for him to attend the Dave Davis memorial rally in Missouri on Sept 11-14, the same days as Cranbrook. There look to be a lot of GSR members who will be in attendance there including some coming from (RageZro) or through (JonR) Ohio.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2005 Yamaha Majesty / 83 GS1100E / 2000 BMW R1100RT / 2014 Suzuki DL650

Comment

Originally posted by dpep View Post
        Stator is now en route to Allie via UPS. She should have him tomorrow. He left here Wednesday, the 20th, two months to the day from when I received him in June. I already miss the little fella.

I believe his next stop after Allie will be Ohio? There probably won't be enough time between now and then, but I am leaving for Cranbrook BC on Sept 5th and would be willing to pick him up along the way and deliver him there. Another plan to consider would be for him to attend the Dave Davis memorial rally in Missouri on Sept 11-14, the same days as Cranbrook. There look to be a lot of GSR members who will be in attendance there including some coming from (RageZro) or through (JonR) Ohio.
        I didn't plan to keep Stator for any more than 2 weeks anyway, so it would be just fine if you stopped by en route to pick him up. You had him most of the summer but you also covered a l-o-o-o-t of miles with him. My area of travel will be much smaller and less ambitious, due to demands on my time. Still, if you leave the 5th that would put you here the 6th or 7th? That gives me about 2 weeks, and at a good 2 1/2 weekends with him. This coming week I'm off work on Monday and Wednesday, and plan to do some riding with my son. The weekend after that will be a long one too... I've got some cool sights for Stator to see in that time.

I think Stator might be convinced to save you a muffin or three for your trip, I'm pretty sure he likes you. If you have a favorite variety of muffin we might even be persuaded to whup a custom batch up for your arrival.
        "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Allie, what are your NJ plans for Stator? High Point might be a cool photo op....
          sigpic
          When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
          -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
          -Rusty old scooter.
          Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
          https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by Allie View Post
            I didn't plan to keep Stator for any more than 2 weeks anyway, so it would be just fine if you stopped by en route to pick him up.
            As much as I am drawn by the scent of fresh muffins I am afraid that NJ would be a little too far off my path. It is over 2800 miles from Jacksonville to Cranbrook by the most direct route. Via your location would add over seven hundred miles and 12 hours of road time alone which would not work in the time window I have. Please postpone my muffin order until my next trip up to New England; that route takes me by your general neighborhood. It will be the incentive for me to veer off and ride that Delaware Water Gap that I keep vowing to do but always skip. Maybe that could be one of the places you show Stator?

He would have to be a little further west, at least Indiana or Illinois, for it to work for me which is why I said there probably isn't the time for him to make it into position. I suspect the people in Ohio if that is where he goes next will want at least a few days with him. For him to make the ride in Missouri (which is the same weekend as the Cranbrook ride, Sept 11-14) seems more realistic.

Nature bats last.

Comment

I guess you meant pick him up from Ohio, not NJ... No I'd say there wouldn't be enough time.

High Point is a definite maybe, if the weather is nice the weekend after labor day, but I won't go up there until after labor day. I also want to move him along in about 2 weeks, so the 6th/7th is probably the latest.

Mr. Steve might be interested in muffi - I mean, picking Stator up, hoping we can hammer out a deal.

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

As much as I am drawn by the scent of fresh muffins I am afraid that NJ would be a little too far off my path. It is over 2800 miles from Jacksonville to Cranbrook by the most direct route. Via your location would add over seven hundred miles and 12 hours of road time alone which would not work in the time window I have. Please postpone my muffin order until my next trip up to New England; that route takes me by your general neighborhood. It will be the incentive for me to veer off and ride that Delaware Water Gap that I keep vowing to do but always skip. Maybe that could be one of the places you show Stator?

He would have to be a little further west, at least Indiana or Illinois, for it to work for me which is why I said there probably isn't the time for him to make it into position. I suspect the people in Ohio if that is where he goes next will want at least a few days with him. For him to make the ride in Missouri (which is the same weekend as the Cranbrook ride, Sept 11-14) seems more realistic.
                After you ride the water gap I should think that that alone would be sufficient incentive for minor veerage. However, a muffin stop is open ended, I would be pleased to oblige when you have the opportunity.

And, you bet your cotton pickin' gizzard Stator will hit the water gap.

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Stator lands in NJ!

I went down to practice some piano after my last post, and my seat hadn't yet hit the bench when there came a soft knock knock on my door. There was Stator, snug in his sedan chair! He came with a log book and a suit case with more swag than you could shake a stick at (or arrange in a photo).

I let him stretch out a bit at the piano.

A little closer up: still feeling and looking fresh for all the miles he's traveled.

He complained that the keys were too high for him to reach so I found him something a little more suitable to play.

Our first stop will be picking my son up from camp tomorrow morning, and we'll go from there!

I was skeptical that I'd find interesting photo ops for Stator but he's a ham, and seems to take to any situation with ease. I don't think we'll have any problems.

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

He climbs on thing too.

And watch him. He run as fast as he can climb.
                    Daniel

1973 Honda ST90
                    1983 Suzuki GS1100GK

Comment

Well Stator didn't get his first ride with us until Monday. We had him out again today, managed to see a few sights and snap a few photos. I went to upload them from my phone and realized I left the usb cable at work. I'll pick it up tomorrow, and try to get a pics up by the weekend. We've got some more riding to do too...

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Sounds like he's having fun, sounds like you're having fun. Keep us posted.
                        My Motorcycles:
                        22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                        22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                        82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                        81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                        79 1000e (all original)
                        82 850g (all original)
                        80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Originally posted by storm 64 View Post
                          Sounds like he's having fun, sounds like you're having fun. Keep us posted.
                          He's been having fun... he's been hounding me for muffins!

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Originally posted by Allie View Post
                            He's been having fun... he's been hounding me for muffins!
                            Send him to me, I'll make Stator my famous red chile enchiladas with a fried egg on top, mine are the flat not those silly rolled up ones.
                            sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                            1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                            2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Oookay so it's time to post some pics of Stators travels. I'm not entirely satisfied with how it's going so far, I think I'm trying to cram too many attractions into each ride, and I'm ending up not doing them enough justice. Time to change strategy a little. Nonetheless we've had a little fun and seen a cool thing of three.

One of our first things was to hit the infamous Shades of Death Road, which has all sorts of ghost stories attached to it.

They had to start using these one piece sign posts a few years ago due to people continually stealing the conventional signs.

We went up Rt. 46 along the Delaware River (very scenic, and hard to believe it's the same road that goes through Paterson and Hackensack) and stopped for hot dogs at a popular stand, 'Hot Dog Johnnie's.

After that we got a bit lost in PA, and it took us forever to get to the next destination. We were kinda hot and tired, and Don wanted to go home, so the trip petered out. We were at Walpack Center when this decision was made, It's a tiny old town that was abandoned in the 70s when the Army Core of Engineers wanted to flood the Delaware Valley at Tock's Island and kicked everybody in the area off their land. A lot of houses are scattered throughout the area that are dilapidated, but the town of Walpack is maintained as a historical site. I didn't have the heart to drag Don around taking a bunch of pictures but we got the post office where we stopped to rest.

There were hopes of putting the post office back into operation in recent years, but fat chance of that under this administration as you can see here. Dig the wanted posters barely visible on the right.

I love the statistics in the Wiki article on Walpack Township, they take 16 people and divide them up in hundreds of crazy ways, including "for every 100.00 women there are 100.00 men'... population 16, folks.

And read this write up for some good history:

Crazy stuff! This is the NJ I love!

That's it for the first day, Thursday's pics will go up tomorrow.

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

French fries and buttermilk? Yikes!
                                Back road exploring is always a fun ride.
                                2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Working...
                                X