• Show
Clear All

Hah. I always get birch beer.
    "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Thanks for pics, Allie. Entertaining.
      I am impressed how you and you son can have a fun day riding.
      Good that a picture included your bike.
      Maybe some time he can take the picture and include you and the bike.

Good that your pics show that NJ is not all urban (like I had thought until recently).

Have fun with Stator, we are enjoying it.

/

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

NJ doesnt suck entirely........we tend to keep that part secret
        sigpic
        When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
        -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
        -Rusty old scooter.
        Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
        https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

These pics are from Wednesday. We went to Millbrook Village, which I had intended to do Monday. This village dating from the early 1800s was also affected by the Tock's Island fiasco and is now part of the state park system. It's only 'open' for a few weeks out of the year, but you're free to walk around all year round. When it's open there are all sorts of people in period clothing and horses and historical activities and stuff, it's cool and educational. It's usually open in the fall so you get to see a lot of stuff like canning and making applesauce and whatnots... I grew up with that stuff but it's still cool to see people in old clothing do it. There's a grist mill there, a smithy, etc.

We didn't get many pics, and although I like to go there when no one's around and drink in the silence, it would have been cool if it were open for Stator's visit.

We did not make Van Campen Inn, a favorite spot of mine, due to time and I didn't feel like dodging craters in the road all the way there. It's really isolated, but that's why I like it.

After Millbrook we went down the southerly portion of Old Mine Road, which is I believe the oldest commercial road in the country or something like that. This portion is closed in the winter, and indeed the road has seen several closures along various segments due to storm damage, flooding, etc. The road is sandwiched snugly between mountains and the Delaware river, so it can get water from both sides in a bad storm, I've gone down it and had to go around trees in the road, and it's common to see washout at the edges, inviting you to go swimming in the river, clothing, gear, and bike included. On this leg of the road there is crash barrier along the shoulder for a mile or three, cutting it down to one lane that you wait at a timed light to enter. The other shoulder is cut right into the rock of the mountains, it's a pretty snug fit for a car. I'd have taken a pic if there had been a place to pull off. There's a pic in this link though:

At the southerly end of the road it dumps you onto.... Rt 80. Yeah I know, what exit... This is the most scenic part of 80 in NJ though, I daresay even picturesque. It's like that across the river in PA too, even more so. We didn't stay on long (though Don likes it when we're on there and I wick it up a bit... he's a good co-pilot, that would make a lot of people nervous). We got off at 94 with another photo op in mind, the weirdly famous Paulinskill Viaduct in Knowlton.

I've climbed all around up there, it's bizarre following the arches up via worker ladders and hatches, parts of it are actually inside the concrete, and pitch black. It's not the kind of thing you do alone in case you fall and bust your gizzard.

HOWEVER, the side road leading to it was closed, construction barriers sealing it off. They are apparently replacing a small bridge at that end of the road, and the other entrance would have added too much time. Oh well...

A quick stop at the Blairstown Airport to look at planes:

The yellow plane in the background of the first pic was taxiing, and I waited a bit to see what he would do. He was sitting in the grass at the far end for a bit, so I thought he was going to park with the other planes. Cause, planes take off on the runway right? Not this one, he took off in the grass. I couldn't get the camera back out in time.

Last stop before home was a short rest and a whimsical fuel stop at the Old Stillwater Garage. The shop is in operation but the pump is for entertainment purposes only.

There's a similar vintage pump in front of the general store across the street, all rusty and dilapidated with springs sproinging out of it and all. No this isn't a historical site, just a small town not far from my house, and very close to Swartswood Lake.

Stator kicking back:

Today we went to Waterloo Village, which is about 15 minutes from my house but I've never been there before. Figures. I think the picture taking went better, I got quite a few which I have to go through and upload yet. More to come....
          Last edited by Allie; 08-31-2014, 01:33 PM. Reason: Added a link for Old Stillwater Garage

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Blairstown.........
            Is a dirty word to me...Years ago I was pulled over there on my first GS love. I couldn't produce paperwork so I was given 2 tickets, and had my cycle impounded. The bike was fully legal, but after going thru inspection the week before I slipped my paperwork in my jacket instead of putting it in its usual spot. My friends drove an hour plus to pick me up while I waited at a tavern....This being before I enjoyed an ocassional drink. The next day after bailing the GS out, and 2 miles from home I had another far worse run in with the law....
            Allie, congrats on living in what is in my opinion the best part of the state.

My late uncle ocassionally talked about Copper Mine Rd and Sunfish Pond, which if i recall are off of Rt 80 by the Gap.
            sigpic
            When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
            -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
            -Rusty old scooter.
            Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
            https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
            https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by Allie View Post

I thought I recognized that pump.

Seems that I have seen the other side, too.

Allie's bike up front, my bike hiding in the shadows.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
                Blairstown.........
                Is a dirty word to me...Years ago I was pulled over there on my first GS love. I couldn't produce paperwork so I was given 2 tickets, and had my cycle impounded. The bike was fully legal, but after going thru inspection the week before I slipped my paperwork in my jacket instead of putting it in its usual spot. My friends drove an hour plus to pick me up while I waited at a tavern....This being before I enjoyed an ocassional drink. The next day after bailing the GS out, and 2 miles from home I had another far worse run in with the law....
                Allie, congrats on living in what is in my opinion the best part of the state.

My late uncle ocassionally talked about Copper Mine Rd and Sunfish Pond, which if i recall are off of Rt 80 by the Gap.
                TimTom balanced his carbs at my house 3-4 years ago and afterwards fell afoul of the local constabulary on a back road not far from Blairstown. The exuberant lad was testing the fettle of his freshly tuned machine, and perhaps his judgment may have been a bit impaired by recent muffin consumption. Gotta watch your asparagus around there. was following a friend a little closer to Swartswood but same general area when a cop pulled us over. He was a notorious stickler but my friend always gets out of tickets and he chewed us out and let us go. My friend didn't have his insurance card either, but he was insured. As an after thought the cop scowled at me and said "if you don't have insurance, GET some". I did have insurance and card, what I didn't have was a registration or a valid plate .... I just said "Yes Officer".

There is no 'Copper Mine Road' that I know of in the Gap, Old Mine Road is the one that connects to 80 at the last exit before PA. There is a Sunfish Pond in the area though. There is a Copper Mine Road in the Princeton area.

I love NW Jersey, there are rural parts in Central and South Jersey that are really nice. Once you get down into Warren County the land opens up a bit with a lot less mountainous terrain, some of the views are gorgeous. Just stay away from the cities and you're fine. Morris County has a lot of charm but much of it is very built up, not my first choice to live in.

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  I thought I recognized that pump.

Seems that I have seen the other side, too.

Allie's bike up front, my bike hiding in the shadows.

I'm adding a link to the post about the Old Stillwater Garage. http://www.oldstillwatergarage.com/

Apparently they do hot rods, customs, and restorations, specializing in Pontiacs.

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

I'd like to go back there someday and cruse around your area. I had forefathers settle in the Florham Park area, in Morris county in the early 1700's. It would be nice to see some of the old places that might remain. Thanks for the pictures.

cg
                    sigpic
                    83 GS1100g
                    2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie G View Post
                      I'd like to go back there someday and cruse around your area. I had forefathers settle in the Florham Park area, in Morris county in the early 1700's. It would be nice to see some of the old places that might remain. Thanks for the pictures.

cg
                      I'm glad you're enjoying. Florham Park has some nice things to see, but commuting there from my house is Hell.

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Thank you for the pictures Allie, I'm sure your co-pilot has enjoyed every minute of it
                        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Stator's 3rd outing

This is our trip from Saturday the 30th. The place we stopped is called Waterloo Village, a historic landmark that I've never been to before, probably due to the close proximity to my house. Mind you the other stops were less than an hour away (NJ is a tiny state!), but this is practically my back yard.

Here Stator is anticipation a hearty Taylor Ham, egg and cheese sandwich on a hard roll for breakfast. Taylor Ham is pretty much a 'New Jersey' thing, and um, probably not the best thing for you. It might be slightly high in sodium.

Here we are at the entrance to Waterloo.

In the background is the Morris Canal.

The Morris Canal was once a busy waterway for shipping goods and people between the Delaware Water Gap and Jersey City, and various points in between.

Here is the still functioning church

Continues...

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Some more buildings

By this time I'm afraid my co-pilot grew tired of posing for pictures. He continued to carry his pal Stator around, and showed interest in seeing the sites. The rest of the photos are Statorless.

Continues...

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

This bridge could use a little maintenance.

A collection of odd horseshoes on display at the local Blacksmith's shop. There was a smith inside giving demonstrations but it was too dark to photograph.

Here is a restored and functioning grist mill, with an attached sawmill on the end. The give tours and demonstrations.

The view of some of these buildings from the back reveals that all is not wine and roses when it comes to funding for the Dept. of Parks and Recreation. A lot of the work we do see is funded by private donations and volunteers.

The graveyard in back of the church

Continues...

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

And some more cool buildings in the back of the village

This last is a carpentry building, where there were displays and demonstrations happening, but we didn't get too close as the co-pilot was getting a bit antsy and to be fair we were running short of time. I took some pics of a cabin and farm site but they didn't turn out too well, you can see a lot of great pics in the albums in the link I posted.

Overall a nice pleasant outing that's right up my ally. It's really an all day affair if you want to see everything and take all the tours, see all the demos, and take the boat ride down the canal. We're definitely coming back in the fall, it will be delicious with bright leaves and crisp fall air!

Today didn't turn out well for touring the countryside, Don went to see someone at noon, and thunderstorms loom inteterminately. I'm thinking I'd like to keep the little guy for one more week to make a run at High Point (an absolute must see) and hopefully Tripod Rock (you'll see) if there are no strenuous objections.

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Working...
                                X