Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm just surprised no one else in Ohio wanted to see him while he was in town.

Oh well the lads in Canada are slavering at the bit, so send him to the dogs I guess!

Nice pics CBU, thanks for hosting the little guy!
    "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

cowboyup, the pics with Stator and your kids are excellent.
      2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
        cowboyup, the pics with Stator and your kids are excellent.
        Beyond excellent. That Paul is a real cutie, that grin with Stator is priceless!

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Originally posted by Allie View Post
          I'm just surprised no one else in Ohio wanted to see him while he was in town.
          Some of us saw him the first time he came through, when Simon and Deb brought him from Down Under.

I have seen pictures how how that little bugger drinks, didn't think he would appreciate the capuccino machine on the Wing, so I passed on the opportunity to host him and let others have the chance.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Left the house this morning to 47 degree sunny skies and went to the garage. After checking a few items, getting gas, and dodging a possible badger minutes from the house (barely missed my front wheel by about 2 seconds), Stator and I set off for what turned out to be a full and satisfying day on the road. We ran through a small set of curvy roads next to the house ending up at the Corwin covered bridge.

We then took off down Corwin Rd to Oregonia where Steve told me I would find the Devils Staircase lot. I had never been there before and thought it was actually out towards Cleveland.

You can't really see it from the road but the climb is back in the trees

It's fun driving in new areas and using a larger scale map and directions except when you think you're not on the correct path. I had to stop a few times and was afraid I'd gotten off the path I wanted to follow but I finally made it to the right direction to get onto the main point of my ride. We turned just past this sign to get onto Ohio 125 which connects into Ohio 763 (REALLY fun road)

While riding I heard my phone signal a text message arrived through my Bluetooth headset. I don't like how Siri is hard to understand when playing text messages so I found a road next to a bridge to pull off and read the text. Stator wanted to get out and look around.

After taking these pictures I read the text and found that Paul wanted to have a picture of Stator driving. Since that's not possible, this was the next best thing

Stator and I then packed it back up and headed down to Aberdeen OH. OH 763 is the same road I took coming back from Kentucky in July with Charmayne on the back seat and it was just as much or even more fun today without her. Although not technical in my opinion, you do have to concentrate the entire way as it doesn't have a shoulder to speak of. The curves are also constantly coming at you with one immediately after the top of a hill.

Once we made it to Aberdeen (about 1pm), we stopped for lunch at Dairy Queen before heading onto Portsmouth OH.
            Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

After lunch, I jumped back onto Ohio 41, passing the beginning of Ohio 763 I just came off of, and headed out to Portsmouth. Traffic was heavier by now and I got caught a few times behind real slow traffic but the road was great nonetheless. At one point, I stopped into Shawnee State Forest where Stator lounged near the creek and I was able to ask someone for a picture of us.

The ride still gave me a few surprises however as the road bypassing Portsmouth (Ohio 104) was closed for an accident. The detour took me back into Portsmouth and around to a point further north on Ohio 104 than I had planned which also meant I missed some good riding. When I realized where I was, I found another route which, although not as good, was still fun and even got me a bit lost. At one point near Bainbridge OH, I checked the maps on my phone and realized it had 6% remaining battery. Later, I stopped for gas in Xenia OH (close to home) and found it was still at 6%

Made it back to the garage at 7pm only an hour later than I originally planned and another 300 miles under my belt. The odometer is over 25,200 miles now and this makes the first year since I bought the bike that I have put in more than a couple of thousand miles. The bike has held up well throughout the year and I continue to be impressed. It's a great feeling to know you are upset when done with a fun twisty road or even a trip.

Back to work tomorrow and I'll need to update the log book for Stator. He's leaving here with some buckeyes and other doodads from Charmayne's marching band and my office. I'll get him out to Canada by next weekend.
              Last edited by cowboyup3371; 10-26-2014, 11:23 PM.

1981 GS550T - My First

Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die

Comment

Stator seems to be having a great time with you and great pics and write up.

V
                Gustov
                80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                81 GS 1000 G
                79 GS 850 G
                81 GS 850 L
                83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                80 GS 550 L
                86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
                2002 Honda 919
                2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Stator is ready to head off to Canada but a quick check of the USPS website says he'll need to wait until payday on Friday. I'll get him out next Saturday morning as I won't have time during the work day to get away from the hospital

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

Stator left for Canada today thanks to the wife.

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

Cool...looking forward to showing him around the island. 😊
                      No signature

Comment

So where is Stator?

V
                        Gustov
                        80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                        81 GS 1000 G
                        79 GS 850 G
                        81 GS 850 L
                        83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                        80 GS 550 L
                        86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
                        2002 Honda 919
                        2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

He left for Canada on November 12th but USPS's website doesn't have any new tracking information beyond leaving the post office on the 12th. I'm hoping he actually is on his way to Trevor and not sitting in someone else's house

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

Hmmm, I hope CBSA hasn't tagged him as a drug-mule, and knocked the stuffing out of him
                            '83 GS650G
                            '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Seems like a long time but it's typical that USPS 'tracking' doesn't really tell you much besides when the package left and when it was delivered. Hope he arrives soon.

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Well good ol' Stator showed up to Trevor's while he was in Vegas last week. Quite the box of 'stuff' he came along with him that's for sure. Trevor will fill in the particulars later I'm sure. To celebrate Trevor's Birthday and the arrival of Stator we took him out to Trevor's local pub. Established in 1859 we thought it was fitting for a bear of such stature.

Welcome to Canada my little friend.
                                Rob
                                1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                                Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Working...
                                X