X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
    Tastes worse than it smells.
    At least i was wearing my glasses.
    Haven't tried that one yet. Unfortunately I can say I prefer 10w 40 over gasoline. It tastes slightly better.
    Roger

Current rides
    1983 GS 850G
    2003 FJR 1300A
    Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

As others have said, lot of work there, but if it comes out right you'll have quite a sense of accomplishment. I'd put down more tarps if you value the room. The messes made will be bigger than that tarp. Need a fan too.
      I've never had to deal with the amount of corrosion you have but I'd try spraying your favorite penetrant on all the hardware now. Might help you avoid breaking bolts, etc, when you remove them. Carb slides will be stuck, among other things, so keep that in mind. Be careful when replacing electrical wiring. Some cheaper wiring can have insulation that can harden and crack.
      I have a '79 GS1000E that I completely restored with many upgrades back in 1999/2000. I powdercoated the frame, swingarm, wheels and lots of other parts. It's held up well, still looks like new. Powdercoat won't work for the exhaust. I ceramic coated my ZX14's exhaust about 7 years ago. $100 from Extreme Coatings in California. It's held up well. I had it done in a high gloss silver. It buffs out and can look like polished aluminum. It loses some shine unless you keep at it. They coated the inside too. I asked if the soot inside was an issue and they said it wasn't.
      I hope you keep us updated on your progress. I don't know what your budget is but it can take a lot of $. I spent $10,000 on my rebuild and that was 17 years ago. As I got deeper into the project, things just came up that were unexpected. Genuine parts prices really added up. I also had decided nothing would be done to the bike that couldn't last another 100,000+ miles. I don't know what your patience and goal level is but I wish you luck.
      And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
      Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

The frame is almost completely stripped. I still have to remove the engine and front forks. That is about it.

Then I have to move on to sandblasting and refinishing. The guys out in town want like $800 to sandblast and coat the frame, swing arm, stands, etc. Then they want another $450 to sandblast and cerakote the exhaust.

So I am trying to avoid that. There is a paint booth I can rent on base for $55/day. It does not have an oven. I would be perfectly happy doing all this with epoxy primer and urethane topcoat. However, the 1 auto paint store I have found here does not stock epoxy primer. They told me they could order some in 1 gallon quantities only. I cannot have it shipped from the states because it is hazardous material.

So I am leaning toward DIY powder coating. I will still have to find a way to sandblast everything. But I can buy a powder coating gun for about $50. The powder and the cerakote powder are CHEAP. The hardest part is the oven. The powder has to cure at 400F for 10 minutes. The cerakote has to cure at 500-700 for 2 hours, but it does mention you can cure it on the bike with exhaust heat.

So for the oven. I am thinking I can build a brick oven out of CMU filled with dirt on my back patio. Put 1 inch of sand on the bottom. Install a $20 GE oven heating element in the bottom. Buy a 25' roll of 6/3 NM-B and plug it into my dryer outlet. I could use a basic barbecue thermometer and turn the element on/off manually at the breaker.

All told, I think I could do this for $250-300. About 1000 cheaper than the guys out in town, AND I get some tools to keep.

How crazy am I sounding?

Comment

Doesn't sound crazy at all. I've done a lot of my own powder coating, and if I had a big enough oven, I would have done my frame. Just like painting, prep is key. I have found it best to do the final cleaning using a spray bottle filled with denatured alcohol, and then blow it off with compressed air. That was a trick I picked up on a powder coating forum, and my results improved once I started using it.

1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
          1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

Just paint the frame with epoxy rattle cans. The key is good prep. Buy some wire wheels for your drill and strip as much old paint off the frame as possible. Heat up the frame with a heat gun before you spray to help adhesion.

Really, the new breed of epoxy paints are really good and you will easily do the frame and swingarm with just 2 cans of satin black. Powdercoating is great but the cost is ridiculous and a DIY set-up you will probably only use twice is not cost effective either.
            Current:
            Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
            VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
            And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

I would agree with rattle cans. I can't believe the costs you've been quoted. Powder coating is ideal but not at those prices. I like your enthusiasm but what you describe sounds incredibly complicated. I would use your base's spray booth with good quality rattle can black and 2K clear over everything for durability almost as good as powder coat.
              1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

I was able to buy 2 part epoxy primer today. I had to buy a whole gallon but it was only $60. So I will rent the booth on base to paint everything at once.

I still want to ceramic powder coat the exhaust because I have little faith that anything else would hold up. My exhaust is one piece because someone welded the megaphone to the collector. If I could cut the weld and get these separated, then I can buy a cheap home oven to cure the ceramic powder.
                20171125_163457.jpg

Comment

I'm a little late coming into this but I just painted a frame with KBS chassis coat and a $15 HF HVLP gun and it looks amazing. The stuff is incredibly hard too. Can't beat it off the metal with a hammer and it takes about 3-4 passes with Kleanstrip to remove it once hardened. Kit costs $50.

Looks as good as powder coating but DIY friendly.

Comment

I've got my two Norton Commandos in a bedroom. The garage was too damp.
                    sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Where do you guys buy forks? I thought Tarozzi made new forks for us, but I did not see any Suzukis on their website. I also somewhat recall a company called frank's forks? Is there somewhere that stocks new forks that I can order from?

I love z1 enterprises, but their website seems to lack a lot of GS stuff. They sell forks, but apparently not for GS. They sell shocks, but apparently not for GS?

Comment

Originally posted by aclaytonb View Post
                        I'm a little late coming into this but I just painted a frame with KBS chassis coat and a $15 HF HVLP gun and it looks amazing. The stuff is incredibly hard too. Can't beat it off the metal with a hammer and it takes about 3-4 passes with Kleanstrip to remove it once hardened. Kit costs $50.

Looks as good as powder coating but DIY friendly.
                        Unfortunately I cannot order any hazmat from the states. The shipping restrictions limit me to only buying powder. But the lack of a large oven finally made me give up on powder. So I bought Nippon Paint's epoxy primer and I will probably buy their urethane and clear coat as well. Target for painting everything is 12/15. I have that day off, so I can spend the whole day in the paint booth. That means I better get to work on stripping all rust and paint!

I will be eager to start reassembly shortly thereafter, so it is time to start ordering forks, chain, shocks, bearings, deusch connectors, etc.

Comment

Franks made a set of uppers for me when I bent mine last year. He did a fantastic job and I would highly recommend them.

Z1 sells Progressive springs and many other things for the GSs. What exactly are you having problems finding?
                          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Well for instance, this is what comes up, but it does not list the 78 GS1000.

Comment

Here you go https://www.z1enterprises.com/motorc...ame-parts.html
                              1978 Gs1085 compliments of Popy Yosh, Bandit 1200 wheels and front end, VM33 Smoothbores, Yosh exhaust, braced frame, ported polished head
                              1983 Gs1100ESD, rebuild finished! Body paintwork happening winter 2017

I would rather trust my bike to a technician that reads the service manual than some backyardigan that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix things.

Comment

I wouldn't go based solely on their website writing. Give them a call and ask for information; you'll just have to order it from the site instead of over the phone.
                                Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                                1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                                2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                                Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                                and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Working...
                                X