Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fuel system cleaner that works as advertised.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I never use the 91 octane premium stuff but there are a few places in my home area that I can still get the 87 octane without ethanol. I have seen posted on this forum that the 91 is not needed in our old bikes so that is why I never buy it. If I am going through a lot of gas, using the ethanol blend has never bothered me in the past. But when I won't be going through so much gas, I will make sure my tank is full of the non-ethanol product.
    Larry

'79 GS 1000E
    '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
    '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
    '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
    '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Originally posted by alke46 View Post
      I never use the 91 octane premium stuff but there are a few places in my home area that I can still get the 87 octane without ethanol. I have seen posted on this forum that the 91 is not needed in our old bikes so that is why I never buy it. If I am going through a lot of gas, using the ethanol blend has never bothered me in the past. But when I won't be going through so much gas, I will make sure my tank is full of the non-ethanol product.
      I also have a '79 GS1000E. The factory manual says "use only unleaded or low-lead fuel of a least 85-95 octane (R+M/2 method) or 89 octane or higher if rated by the Research method". I haven't paid much attention to the info regarding rating methods on pumps but I'll look at the pump next time I fuel up. I've always used 91 octane. I'd like to start using the non-ethanol fuel but all but one of the dealers around me sell only 88. The one that sells 91 is unmanned/automated, so you have to use a credit card. I've always paid cash for smaller transactions. Not sure I want to use a card for buying fuel. Just something I'm not comfortable with. I'm always hearing about card skimming/theft at gas stations.
      And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
      Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Originally posted by storm 64 View Post
        I've been using the Pure-Gas website lately. I found a gas station not to far from me that sells 100%gasoline. It's about. $.45 per gallon more than regular, but worth it in my motorcycles.
        Thanks for posting that. I see on their website there are a few choices here for non ethanol gas.
        Roger

Current rides
        1983 GS 850G
        2003 FJR 1300A
        Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

The last small flat spot in the throttle response at 3800 rpm finally cleared and the fuel system is back to 100% on the B12. The only criticism I have of the additive is that it took about 600 miles to clean out everything using a concentration of 3 oz. per gallon of gas.
          All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
            The last small flat spot in the throttle response at 3800 rpm finally cleared and the fuel system is back to 100% on the B12. The only criticism I have of the additive is that it took about 600 miles to clean out everything using a concentration of 3 oz. per gallon of gas.
            In the first post you were using 1 oz per gallon. When did you switch to 3 oz per gallon and did that amount mess with the bikes ridability or because of the carb issues you didnt notice.
            Alex

Comment

I just dump the whole can in. doesn't hurt anything and is concentrated to get the work done much faster.
              MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                I just dump the whole can in. doesn't hurt anything and is concentrated to get the work done much faster.
                With many things, more is not always better. Try taking 50 aspirin for a headache instead of two and see where it gets you.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Ive done it forever this way and there isn't any adverses reactions...just a heck of a lot faster refreshing the system. Usualy just one tank and its all good.
                  MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                  1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                    Ive done it forever this way and there isn't any adverses reactions...just a heck of a lot faster refreshing the system. Usualy just one tank and its all good.
                    I'm a big fan of B12, always used it for eons. Only thing that concerns me with using a full can in the bike tank is the rubber in the petcock, B12 isn't very nice to rubber in a high concentration.
                    sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                    1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                    2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

StarTron is what the big boat guys use and they probably abuse their fuel more than anyone else because of the size of their fuel tanks. It works well but nothing beats a proper cleaning of our carburetors. Seafoam is the best fuel injection cleaner I have used. Night and day results on our old RX8, from tired to rev limiter before you could shift. Not so much on carburetors.
                      Last edited by OldVet66; 02-09-2018, 02:24 PM.
                      '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

My bike is running wonderfully. No flat spots through all gears, no weirdness and will go over 100mph before I lose courage but I have started to get a little funkiness at startup so I considered trying an additive. My carbs have been cleaned 4 times over the last 6 months. My local place has the B12, Star tron and Techron .. though the techron doesnt read like its for Carbs just fuel injection. I can get the stuff in the original post from Amazon and have it tomorrow.

How are all these things with a lined tank? I lined my tank early on with KBS.

My funkiness.
                        Used to be ... I would turn on my fuel (pingle) then open the enricher at the bars and hit the start button and it would explode to 5000 rpm and I would quickly back off. So then I started only opening the enricher about 1/2 and it would explode to life but only to about 3000rpm.

Now I have been riding less often lately mostly because the bike just works and I dont have to take it out everyday for evaluation rides and adjustments so now I ride about once a week but now

I turn on the gas
                        I pull out the enricher about 3/4 and it starts right away but at an anemic 1200 rpm and then climbs to 3500 if I let it but i usually start closing down the enricher so it doesnt go above 2500 for warm up. Its been in the 80's during the day and down in the 40's at night. The explosion to life part doesnt happen anymore. It kind of lazily rubs the sleep from its eyes.

I let it warm up maybe 90 seconds and take off with the enricher set so its about 2000 rpm and in less than half a mile I can turn it off and smooth sailing.

I of course dont want to pull that whole damn thing apart a 5th time especially since it runs perfectly and starts so I thought I might try a little cleaner.

I am getting a lot of condensation under the gas cap. I guess it may be better for the engine to allow the oil pressure to build instead of a cold engine jumping to 5000 rpm but I cant remember back to 1978 and dont remember what it started like then. Mostly because back then I just used and abused it and didnt think to much about it.
                        Last edited by Guest; 02-09-2018, 01:43 PM.

Comment

Keep your tank full when you park it. Less condensation. Water in your fuel is never a good idea.
                          '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

I use the B-12 and like it but I agree it may be harsh on rubber. I get my tank down to a low level and put a high concentrate in it and run it through immediately so it is in and out of the system quickly, then I fill the as normal. When I say low level I mean maybe a 1/2 gallon in the tank left at most.

Comment

Originally posted by nejeff View Post
                              I use the B-12 and like it but I agree it may be harsh on rubber. I get my tank down to a low level and put a high concentrate in it and run it through immediately so it is in and out of the system quickly, then I fill the as normal. When I say low level I mean maybe a 1/2 gallon in the tank left at most.
                              The directions on the B12 can advise it is not to come into contact with rubber or plastic parts.

Comment

Oxygenated gas is federally required in areas that exceed the clean air standards, and optionally toughened by state law (California, where they have their own blend that makes it so Fing expensive) . The non-ethanol gas you buy is probably still oxygenated. There are 2 basic classes of Oxygenates, alcohol based and ether based. Ether of course is more expensive and raises the octane as well so it comes out of the Premium pump. Note: I am not a chemical engineer. I do however use Google well. Fortunately I have a non-ethanol pump a few miles away for bikes, small engines, etc. It has really helped with the layovers.

sigpic
                                09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
                                1983 GS1100e
                                82\83 1100e Frankenbike
                                1980 GS1260
                                Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

Working...
                                X