No announcement yet.

volt meter/usb charger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much would the display draw down on the battery over time if you left it plugged in? I have this one. Small but still hard to decide where to mount.

71Sx29im06L._SL1200_ by Gary L, on Flickr
    sigpic
    1983 GS1100ES (Bought July 2014)
    1983 GS1100E (Bought July 2014)
    1985 GS700ES (Bought June 2015) Sold
    On Christ the Solid Rock I Stand
    All Other Ground is Sinking Sand

Comment

I'd run key'd power
      I build Pipers

Comment

Here's one at work
        20171228_154055 by Brandon Hobock, on Flickr

20171228_154103 by Brandon Hobock, on Flickr
        I build Pipers

Comment

Originally posted by glib View Post
          How much would the display draw down on the battery over time if you left it plugged in? I have this one. Small but still hard to decide where to mount.

71Sx29im06L._SL1200_ by Gary L, on Flickr
          I like that one, the only reason i didnt order that is for how I'd want to mount it the display would be upside down
          I build Pipers

Comment

people should realize that you need a switch on any USB plug, as it will draw enough power to drain a battery in about 1-2 weeks.
            Even if you don't plug anything it, there is a 12V==>5V regulator always on.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
              people should realize that you need a switch on any USB plug, as it will draw enough power to drain a battery in about 1-2 weeks.
              Thanks. Figured you’d know. How would I wire it to run when the key is on?
              sigpic
              1983 GS1100ES (Bought July 2014)
              1983 GS1100E (Bought July 2014)
              1985 GS700ES (Bought June 2015) Sold
              On Christ the Solid Rock I Stand
              All Other Ground is Sinking Sand

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                exactly, thats why im gonna run it off of a key'd power source
                I build Pipers

Comment

Originally posted by glib View Post
                  71Sx29im06L._SL1200_
                  I use my phone as a GPS (waterproof Samsung S6 Active), and I have a couple of these SAE/USB chargers. I have an SAE plug on all my bikes on or near the handlebars, powered by a circuit with a relay so they're only on when the key is on, but they receive full power direct from the battery. They work fantastically.

I don't mount them to the bikes -- it takes a very firm push to plug them in, so I let them dangle or sort of tuck them into the wiring or under the clutch cable. That way, they're not subjected to the vibrations from the bike. I also try to orient the display so it's not distracting. As long as it's out of my usual field of vision, it's fine, and I can move my head a little to check it if I want to.

I've found that if you're smart about how you orient the charger so water can't drip in or get forced in by the airflow, everything works fine in light and medium rain as long as you're moving. If it really starts dumping down, I'll unplug it and stash it in the top box -- my phone's touch screen tends to freak out anyway when there are large multiple rain drops running down the screen.

I've installed those round panel mount voltmeter/chargers in two of our cars -- yeah, the voltmeter is sort of superfluous in a car, but it's kinda cool.
                  Last edited by bwringer; 12-29-2017, 02:54 PM.
                  1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                  2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                  2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Working...
                  X