• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hate deer.

I'll refrain from posting the x-ray...
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Just when you think you have the swerve and miss down, the unpredictable deer will do something "unpredictable". Be careful.
      Current Bikes:
      2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Originally posted by Burque73 View Post
        I caught seven of them in this shot. They're not shy in the Sandia Mountains.

Yeah, ya'll try tackling a mule deer we have around here, you have those wimpy white tails lol.
        sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
        1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
        2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Loud pipes save lives. Put some straight pipes on that B-12 Earl.

Actually, I was riding in West Virginia and lost track of time. Got to be dusk, then dark and I was an hour or so away from my destination. I was on my ZZR 1200, with Two Bro's after market slip ons. I was worried about the deer, but saw several run away as I approached. Thought that was interesting. The other method I have, if opportunity is there, is to get close to a car in front and use it as a blocker of sorts. Worked that time anyway.

As for Deer, sorry guys, I try every year during hunting season, but can't kill them all.
          1983 GS750 E - gone forever
          Yamaha FJ-09 - My retirement Bike (For when I retire)
          1996 Honda XR-600R - a Man's bike
          2007 Suzuki DR 200SE - Oh Yeah
          2005 Yamaha TR125 - Little Man's bike

Comment

Originally posted by ratatouille View Post
            Loud pipes save lives. Put some straight pipes on that B-12 Earl.

Actually, I was riding in West Virginia and lost track of time. Got to be dusk, then dark and I was an hour or so away from my destination. I was on my ZZR 1200, with Two Bro's after market slip ons. I was worried about the deer, but saw several run away as I approached. Thought that was interesting. The other method I have, if opportunity is there, is to get close to a car in front and use it as a blocker of sorts. Worked that time anyway.

As for Deer, sorry guys, I try every year during hunting season, but can't kill them all.
            Actually, all the sound of a motorcycle pipe is moving rearwards out of the exhaust. I can't hear a loud bike behind me at all when I'm riding or driving. All loud pipes do is destroy your hearing and pi-ss off every driver beside or behind you and the homeowners on the roads you ride on. They're a great way to make motorcycle haters.
            All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
              Actually, all the sound of a motorcycle pipe is moving rearwards out of the exhaust. I can't hear a loud bike behind me at all when I'm riding or driving. All loud pipes do is destroy your hearing and pi-ss off every driver beside or behind you and the homeowners on the roads you ride on. They're a great way to make motorcycle haters.
              Was just teasing about the loud pipes. However, I witnessed the deer running away from my ZZR 1st hand. But, it was the sound reverberating off of the mountains, I'm sure. Something that Fla doesn't have. ;-)
              1983 GS750 E - gone forever
              Yamaha FJ-09 - My retirement Bike (For when I retire)
              1996 Honda XR-600R - a Man's bike
              2007 Suzuki DR 200SE - Oh Yeah
              2005 Yamaha TR125 - Little Man's bike

Comment

Originally posted by ratatouille View Post
                Was just teasing about the loud pipes. However, I witnessed the deer running away from my ZZR 1st hand. But, it was the sound reverberating off of the mountains, I'm sure. Something that Fla doesn't have. ;-)
                I've also seen deer calmly standing in the ditch eating grass startled into oncoming traffic by loud vehicles.
                '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Anyone else notice the ghost head on the second one from left to right?

Originally posted by Burque73 View Post
                  I caught seven of them in this shot. They're not shy in the Sandia Mountains.

Comment

Originally posted by leftlostcommonsense View Post
                    Anyone else notice the ghost head on the second one from left to right?
                    Panoramic pics from my phone show strange things.
                    Roger

Current rides
                    1983 GS 850G
                    2003 FJR 1300A
                    Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

I killed a deer two weeks ago. I was driving a loaded 26' U-Haul, towing a minivan on a trailer, going about 55. Four-lane divided road, central Iowa, 9 PM. I only saw it a second before it jumped. I looked like a fully grown doe. There wouldn't have been a chance of reacting to it with a car at any speed above about 10 mph. It was directly in the center of the truck at impact. A bit of a shudder, but nothing more. A friend driving my Accord just behind me also saw it jump, but nothing was under the truck. We assume that it's momentum vectors bounced it off towards the right side of the road. I didn't even slow down. Traffic was pretty steady, and the shoulder was narrow. Stopping to look for damage would have been dangerous. The truck drove exactly the same as before. All gauges showed normal. I monitored the temperature gauge for a while, against the possibility radiator damage and losing coolant. A half hour later I pulled into a station and gassed up. Plastic trim around right headlight was gone, Grill was bent a bit, but still 2" from the radiator. The bumper was bent into a very shallow "V", perhaps 2" deep.

I called it in to U-Haul, which took a half hour of wading through automated attendants and waiting for a person. They were unconcerned as long as there was no significant damage. I had full coverage insurance, so I didn't need to fork out on extra cent.

Whew!
                      sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Dang Tom, I wanted to have lunch with you before you left town. I hope things go well for you out there. It was nice to have met you.

I hit a deer in Kentucky, kind of the same scenario. Broken plastics and a few dents. The darn thing ran off!
                        Roger

Current rides
                        1983 GS 850G
                        2003 FJR 1300A
                        Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Feeling is mutual. Things got crazy near the end. I packed the first third very carefully, tossed a lot of stuff. Second third, OK. Last third, thrown in boxes. Truck wasn't large enough, I left at least $1000 of stuff was left behind, and I had to pay to dispose of it.

In my third week in Cedar Rapids, middle of settling in. My "citizenship" documents are in the thrown-in-boxes category, mixed in with 5 tons in storage. So, to get an Iowa DL, I need a certified birth certificate. The fees for mailing it are much higher than the cost of gas to ride the Wee Strom to Des Moines to get a certified birth certificate in person. So that's on the agenda today. I'll pass the deer strike site both ways. And visit some friends.

We'll find a place to catch up!
                          sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Working...
                          X