No announcement yet.

Anything annoy you street riding?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Phone pokers cheese me right off. One of them got me in 2011 with an incredible, never-before-seen triple double backhanded fakeout with a left turn and a twist. I collected my second broken left femur, my first busted wrist, and a broken ankle, and a demolished KLR. Apparently the flight was short but spectacular, and I can attest that the landing was a bit rough.

She didn't have a license and she was driving her Mom's car, which had the state minimum insurance. And of course, she wasn't even cited for driving without a license or for, y'know, damn near killing someone.

So anyway, yeah, I sort of take it personally. Oblivious phone pokers are absolutely everywhere, and no one except me seems to think it's a problem. Heck, even the cops around here are very commonly twiddling their electronic nipples while driving; you can really see them at night when their idiot faces are lit up from below.

Phone pokery while driving really needs to be immediately classed as an EXTREMELY serious crime, along the lines of random discharge of automatic weapons. That's essentially what you're doing -- pointing a large deadly device in a random direction.
    Last edited by bwringer; 05-21-2018, 11:34 PM.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
      By far, my number 1 bitch is tail gators.
      Yep, and it's become epidemic. Years back, drivers would give me elbow room, just out of respect for my vulnerability; now, I get the same respect they'd show a plumbing truck.
      and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
      __________________________________________________ ______________________
      2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

Another peeve is erratic navigation system followers awaiting commands.
        I’ve mentioned it here before, but not for a while. A girl following GPS cranked a U turn on command and took out my uncle in the process.
        sigpic
        When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
        -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
        -Rusty old scooter.
        Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
        https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by Burque73 View Post
          I'll bet the firs guy to roll a cart complained about how the second guy rolled his. Nothing new under the sun.

But.... I'll play along and say when I get a green light I pause for a second and look for traffic. Whether in a cage or on a bike it's just habit. The other day I started my left turn at an intersection driving my Tacoma pickup and struggled to get a good view of traffic lanes to my right. I had the green light and it should have been fine, but I habitually wanted to verify nobody ran the light and slammed into my passenger side. The driver behind me impatiently laid on his horn. That's my gripe, they blow the horn if somebody doesn't instantly react to a green light, while in the other direction the driver may not instantly react to a red light either. Heck, forget instantly, they may not react to a red light at all. Blowing through it looking at the bowl of cereal they're eating!
          Yeah that seems to be the trend here also. Now that we finally have a no texting while driving law, people are texting while they are waiting for the green. So many will still be there through a full light change before they go. I've seen a few times already, so now it seems if you cut perfect light, there on the horn. Sometimes I just want to show them they're number 1 in my book with sign language.
          GSRick
          No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
          Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

I think my numer uno thing that urks me to no end, is the guy that just has to be in front of you. I'm not talking about the tailgater that has to pass and be first to wherever, i'm talking about the guy that is turning into your lane from a side street when your about a hundred feet away and there is nobody for miles behind you. Sometimes I just want to lay the pedal to the metal and shove whatever I'm driving right up their a...................
            GSRick
            No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
            Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Public hanging for 3 time text offenders.
              We can all use our phones to record the loss of life, then post on youtube, maybe make money from it too.
              Maybe do a selfie (which I've never done myself) of the action.
              No in ground burials, only cremation paid for by the next of kin.
              No use taking up valuable land for texters.
              Totally joking, but some stiffer penalties might help.
              GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Wow!

Lots of scenarios that I myself have seen (with regards to cell phones, tailgaters, and people who want to be in front).

I'm sorry to hear people getting hurt from such incidents. It's enough to overcome these traumatic situations so for me to say to "look at the positive" is a hard pill to swallow.

Pain and rehab take time. I would encourage to look forward to Happy times because those down times don't have to last forever.

Ed
                GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy View Post
                  Hey!!! We're good drivers up here. Maybe we're just not used to other vehicles on the road at the same time. LOL.
                  The winter Texans we get are usually up there in age, lol.

1982 GS1100 G converted by Motorcyclist magazine in 1986 to be a tribute to the Wes Cooley replica. 1982 Honda 900F. 1997 Yamaha VMax.
                  Also owned: 1973 Kawasaki Z1 900, 1972 Honda 750 K, 1976 Yamaha XS 650, 1980 Kawasaki KZ 1000 MKII, 1978 Kawasaki SR 650. Current cage is a 2001 Mustang Bullitt in Dark Highland Green. Bought new in Sept. 2001.

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                    Phone pokery while driving really needs to be immediately classed as an EXTREMELY serious crime, along the lines of random discharge of automatic weapons. That's essentially what you're doing -- pointing a large deadly device in a random direction.
                    Logical, accurate and succinct. I agree 100%.
                    1979 GS1000
                    1981 GL500 Interstate

Comment

Originally posted by Carter Turk View Post
                      Public hanging for 3 time text offenders.
                      We can all use our phones to record the loss of life, then post on youtube, maybe make money from it too.
                      Maybe do a selfie (which I've never done myself) of the action.
                      No in ground burials, only cremation paid for by the next of kin.
                      No use taking up valuable land for texters.
                      Totally joking, but some stiffer penalties might help.
                      Living in downtown Vancouver and dealing with this every day as a cyclist, pedestrian, and a motorcyclist. I'm more along the lines of bashing their cell phones on the pavement and using their heads to do it........
                      Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
                      Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
                      1983 GS 750

Comment

I try not to ride anymore in high density city traffic if I can avoid it. I also pick my rural ride routes, days and times for the least traffic.
                        It isn't the bike that's dangerous, it's the fools around me. Give them a chance to do something stupid and they will take it. I don't give away any chances and assume the worst of everyone. It keeps me in one piece. Sad, but that's the reality of it.
                        All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by robertbarr View Post
                          Yep, and it's become epidemic. Years back, drivers would give me elbow room, just out of respect for my vulnerability; now, I get the same respect they'd show a plumbing truck.
                          That brings up peeve#107 for me: when I leave enough room in front of me for a rider (or plumbing truck), and some idiot whips in without a turn signal after passing the 17 cars behind me, then hits the brakes...chaos ensues
                          '83 GS650G
                          '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Originally posted by BigD_83 View Post
                            That brings up peeve#107 for me: when I leave enough room in front of me for a rider (or plumbing truck), and some idiot whips in without a turn signal after passing the 17 cars behind me, then hits the brakes...chaos ensues
                            I friggin' loath people who get in between me and the safe distance I give the car in front of me. It's like an invitation to be rude...just so one can be in the lead. Grrrr!

Ed
                            GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                            GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                            GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                            Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                            Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post
                              I friggin' loath people who get in between me and the safe distance I give the car in front of me. It's like an invitation to be rude...just so one can be in the lead. Grrrr!
                              Ed
                              ...............and then they slow down. double Grrr. LOL
                              All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
                                ...............and then they slow down. double Grrr. LOL
                                Get that all the time here. They don't want to go any faster, they just want to be in front.
                                '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Working...
                                X