Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anypne fitted a modern L.E.D headlight on a GS1000?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don, no relay is necessary for the headlight. I don't know the exact number, but it actually runs on voltage just a bit less than 12 volts. It might be 9 or 10 volts, but there is a power supply and regulator built into the headlight that takes the 12-24 volt input (it's designed to handle military vehicles, which run on 24 volts) and regulates it down to the voltage it requires. Because of that, you will not see the light get a little brighter as you rev it above idle, which is a common charging test.

Regarding the whole-bike relay, I did that along with a fusebox upgrade, so there was some other re-wiring that went along with that. I'll see if I have a diagram that shows that.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Anyone know what the amperage draw is for the led headlight? Or wattage?
      All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Led headlamps typically all have an internal dc to dc convertor to maintain a constant current through the LED. The best clue to this is a 12/24v operating range. However there is a small hitch but something to be aware of.
        you can think of the led with dc-dc converter as a constant power device. It always draws the same power no matter what voltage you apply. For example at 12v the led will probably draw 2 amps. At 24v the same led would only draw 1 amp but both would be the same power 24 Watts = 12*2=24*1
        so what happens when you have poor wiring and voltage drops to the led? Well as before if you lower the voltage the dc-dc will draw more current to compensate.
        Using round numbers , of say 10 out of 12 v going to the led, there will be a 12/10 increase in current so instead of drawing 2 amps it is now 2.4 amps. The led maintains constant power so 24 watts = 12*2=10*2.4.
        generally this should not get so bad that you could potentially cause problems, but you should be aware that you want the lowest voltage drops at it reduces charging system draw from these large headlamp leds.
        this discussion does not apply to the smaller directional or dash light bulbs which have no dc-dc converters.
        Last edited by posplayr; 07-01-2018, 06:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
          Anyone know what the amperage draw is for the led headlight? Or wattage?
          The TruckLite units that we have draw about 2 amps on low beam and just about 4 amps on high beam.

A stock H4 halogen is about 4.5 on low and 5 on high.

If you are trying to equate the "wattage" for light output, don't bother. There are SO many more lumens available, it would probably be the equivalent of something like a 150 watt halogen, but the pattern it puts on the road is SO much better, too.

Not sure that your Bandit could use one of these units, though. There are some users here that claim a modest success with an LED "bulb" that replaces the H4, but the ones that I have tried did not do well at throwing light down the road. It is best to have a lens/reflector assembly that matches the LED source.

sigpic
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            The TruckLite units that we have draw about 2 amps on low beam and just about 4 amps on high beam.

A stock H4 halogen is about 4.5 on low and 5 on high.

If you are trying to equate the "wattage" for light output, don't bother. There are SO many more lumens available, it would probably be the equivalent of something like a 150 watt halogen, but the pattern it puts on the road is SO much better, too.

Not sure that your Bandit could use one of these units, though. There are some users here that claim a modest success with an LED "bulb" that replaces the H4, but the ones that I have tried did not do well at throwing light down the road. It is best to have a lens/reflector assembly that matches the LED source.

I would have to swap out the projector headlight nacelles and 9012 bulbs on the Bandit for a round headlight shell and discard the fairing.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

That's what I was thinking. Pretty much puts it in the "not worth the effort" category.

sigpic
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride

Comment

I am starting the rebuild now, and to be honest i think they look like crap.
                The original 1 candle power unit is going back in.

Comment

Originally posted by gdayjr View Post
                  I'm with you gday. I like the looks of the original much better. For as little night riding I do, it's not worth the conversion.
                  Last edited by storm 64; 07-02-2018, 07:09 AM.
                  My Motorcycles:
                  22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                  22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                  82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                  81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                  79 1000e (all original)
                  82 850g (all original)
                  80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Originally posted by gdayjr View Post
                    If you don't do much riding at night, that's not a problem. In daylight, your headlight is not so much for you to see, but to be seen by others. In the case of some of the LED units, the off-axis visibility is a bit better, so you might be better off with the original.
                    However, if you do any night-time riding, the first time you ride with the new light, you will be asking yourself "why did I wait so long?" Yes, the difference is that dramatic.

Originally posted by storm 64 View Post
                    I'm with you gday. I like the looks of the original much better.
                    I enjoy the "look" of the original better, too, but I REALLY appreciate what I can see with the LED.
                    Originally posted by storm 64 View Post
                    For as little night riding I do, it's not worth the conversation.
                    Interesting choice of words.

Did you mean "conversation" or "conversion"? Could be very accurate either way.

sigpic
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride

Comment

Haha I ment conversion. I'd have a conversation about it anytime with anyone. 👍
                      My Motorcycles:
                      22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                      22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                      82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                      81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                      79 1000e (all original)
                      82 850g (all original)
                      80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                        That's what I was thinking. Pretty much puts it in the "not worth the effort" category.

One night, Dale (dogma) and I during a rally, sat our bikes side by side (his GS and my B12) in the parking lot and checked the difference between his LED head light and my projector beam. For distance ahead we were equal. The biggest difference was the width of the beam. The LED had a considerably wider arc. The shortcoming of the projector beam is not distance, it's that it has poor side lighting. Making a turn from a dark rural road onto a side road is near a complete blind turn in the dark. The lights do not light up the entry to a side street at all. Straight down a highway is excellent though.
                        Riding a Bandit makes it essential to learn how to estimate a turn rate and make a turn without being able to see the ground or anything else. LOL
                        Last edited by earlfor; 07-02-2018, 12:57 PM.

Comment

Your projector lights are certainly an improvement on the traditional H4 setup on the GSes. I have not had a vehicle with them, so have very little experience with them, was just presuming they would be better.

Not all H4 setups suck. The lights on my Wing throw out a VERY nice beam. Yes, it has two bulbs, but more bulbs don't necessarily help if the pattern is no good. I have regarded those as my benchmark for comparisons, the single TruckLite is right up there. I think the only advantage the TruckLite has is the "whiter" color and a more-even spread. The Wing has noticeable 'hot spots' in the pattern, the TruckLite almost looks like (very bright) fluorescent lighting because it is so even.

sigpic
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride

Comment

KJH_5118.jpg

I have a great pair of Clearwater lights on my other GS, Turn night into day.
                            They only draw 36 watts, but they do make a fair range of lights. Maybe a smaller set would compliment the bike better.

Comment

Pardon the pun, but that thows some new light on the subject.

If you already have Clearwater lights, you will be disappointed with anything else. I know you are supposed to get what you pay for, but exactly what is it about Clearwater lights that makes them so expensive?

sigpic
                              Family Portrait
                              Siblings and Spouses
                              Mom's first ride

Comment

Anyone have the JW Speaker adaptive headlight? Am curious how much better they are.

Comment

Working...
                                X