Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The 1250 "Bandit" no longer being made? Any other suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by isleoman
    Just a baby at 60K. My 19 year old FZ1 has 232K and I'd take it to Australia tomorrow..... if there was a road.

By the way that's one valve check in all those miles, and it was in spec.
    One of the best bikes ever made... Period.

My T120 rides very similarly except it's more comfortable 2 up and solo, cruise control is the bee's knees... If I was on a stricter budget I'd be on one however I do budget for a new bike... The T120 will yeild +100K miles over the next several years... As long as it doesn't pull any break down stunts like my Harley did last year. As stated folks are already closing in on the 100K mile mark on some 2016's the new liquid cooled Triumph lump is proving to be a stone of a motor. This bike will be remembered as one of the bests as well...

You did swap the motor correct? I did too at 70K... It burned oil bad but ran like a freight train... I should have kept running it but at 1000 miles per gallon (of oil) it was getting a bit ridiculous and you could tell where I went for there was a smoke tail if I was under hard acceleration. When i had both bikes together (for a short time) we use to call them Smokey and the Bandit. HAHA
    Last edited by Jedz123; 06-11-2018, 09:50 AM.
    Jedz Moto
    1980 Suzuki GS1000G
    1988 Honda GL1500-6
    2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
    2020 Honda Monkey Z125
    2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
    Originally posted by Hayabuser
    Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedz123 View Post
      Yup! Great bike! My TUX gets about 200-250 depending on how you ride it on the 3.25 gallon tank... Putting back roads the bike will run all day on gas. Pin it and the bike will hold 70mph all day as well. Each their own, I'm not a fan of fared bikes... However I have seen some AWESOME Ninja 250 builds:

I only need 1 250 in my life... My next little bike will likely be the new Honda Cub 125... I'm content with going the speed limit in my area, I live over an hour away from an interstate and the state limit is 50mph.
      +1 on that sweet looking Ninja cafe.

Was curious about the before pic. Thats actually a kit build based on a 1988 — 2007 Ninja EX250R.
      Kit is very reasonably priced & they have other kits available.

Comment

Yep, BCB is a neat little company.
        "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
        ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
        1982 CB900f

Comment

There is a new zero miles 1250 Bandit on the show room floor here where I live. Las Cruces Motorsports.
          sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
          1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
          2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

My son had an '08 Ninja 250 R as his first bike. VERY nice riding little bike. Very slow little bike... Granted, the carbs could have used to be properly tuned up, but still lacking where it counts for me... He sold it, and bought a '95 Ninja 600 C. Also needs a little carb help, but a very comfy bike.

I have a '95 GSXR 750 W, with 15k on it. I recently checked the valves (shims under bucket) all were still in spec, no issues there. Much better design in my opinion. Keep us posted on what you end up with Keith.
            '83 GS 1100T
            The Jet

sigpic
            '95 GSXR 750w
            The Rocket

I'm sick of all these Irish stereotypes! When I finish my beer, I'm punching someone in the face ! ! !

Comment

How come this thread has drifted towards small bikes? I thought Keith wanted something bigger?

While removing cams to change shims does add to the maintenance time, as others have stated modern bikes require only occasional valve adjustments so the burden isn't onerous. The FZ-09 for example calls for 24k mileage intervals for checking the valves. My KZ750 uses shims under bucket and changing the shims is quite simple. A dab from a paint stick on the cam chain link directly over the arrows on the cam sprockets makes simple work of the alignment.

Personally, if purchasing my "last bike" I'd get something lightweight. The Yamaha 900 bikes have a few different models, including some with fairings, that are plenty powerful and reasonably light. I'd lean towards something like that for a bike to take me up to my 70's.
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

If I was going to get my "final bike" it'd probably be a ZX-14 . Its fast, reliable, a reasonable seating position that is comfortable for long rides. And because its fast, and how I ride, it would almost certainly be the reason it was my "final bike".... lol.
                1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                  ...Personally, if purchasing my "last bike" I'd get something lightweight. The Yamaha 900 bikes have a few different models, including some with fairings, that are plenty powerful and reasonably light. I'd lean towards something like that for a bike to take me up to my 70's.
                  +1. A lighter, easier to handle bike would keep me riding longer. The Yamaha 900's are good choices, and a newer (2014+) V-Strom 1000 is a very capable all-around bike that only weighs a little over 500lbs.
                  '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

I think this must depend on the rider. Earl isn't a big guy, and older than dirt (though not as old as Don, who was fine on a GK or 1100E up until a couple years ago), but he doesn't seem to have any trouble with his B12. If your health starts failing so you can't balance a bike, you'll have to make some life changes anyway. Ride what your want while you can.
                    Dogma
                    --
                    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                    '80 GS850 GLT
                    '80 GS1000 GT
                    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

My son has a newer V7 Moto Guzzi. It's big enough, wonderful torque band, handles and feels very light when muscling it around. Weight is low in the chassis, I'd say. I could finish my days on one of those or the newer V9 quite easily.

Comment

If on the cheap I like Bandits, FZ-1, and 900 carbureted Triumph, most are under $3000 and plenty of nice ones. Lots of fuel injected Triumphs of all types for under $5000 Once most bikes get up there in miles, valve adjustments are far and few in between. Once you drive a properly set up Triumph, they get under your skin.
                        Current Rides: 82 GS1100E, 00 Triumph 955 Speed Triple, 03 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 01 Honda GL1800, '15 Kawasaki 1000 Versys
                        Past Rides: 72 Honda SL-125, Kawasaki KE-175, 77 GS750 with total yosh stage 1 kit, 79 GS1000s, 80 GS1000S, 82 GS750e,82 GS1000S, 84 VF500f, 86 FZR600, 95 Triumph Sprint 900,96 Triumph Sprint, 97 Triumph Sprint, 01 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 07 Triumph Tiger 1050, 01 Yam YFZ250F
                        Work in progress: 78 GS1000, unknown year GS1100ES

Comment

Mmmmmm, Triumph triples are special. I often look at the 885 and 955 Tigers and still have a fondness for the Thunderbirds.
                          "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                          ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                          1982 CB900f

Comment

Definitely like the look of the Triumph Thunderbird. Probably would have bought one but they discontinued them before I bought a FI Bonneville.

My next modern bike will have ABS, FI & cast wheels. Boxers & Moto Guzzis are good candidates but there aren’t any nearby Guzzi dealerships. Those new Tigers look like an interesting choice too.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
                              I think this must depend on the rider. Earl isn't a big guy, and older than dirt (though not as old as Don, who was fine on a GK or 1100E up until a couple years ago), but he doesn't seem to have any trouble with his B12. If your health starts failing so you can't balance a bike, you'll have to make some life changes anyway. Ride what your want while you can.
                              I have no problem with riding the B12. It's grabbing it and holding it over my head that I can't do anymore. LOL These days, I can't standing press more than 400 lbs, so the bike needs to be less than that. heh
                              All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

I've done some shim under bucket valve stuff - KLR & V-Strom. It's not that hard in my opinion. Takes a bit more time than a GS but you're retired... what else you got to do?
                                1980 GS1000G - Sold
                                1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                                1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                                1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                                2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                                1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                                2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Working...
                                X