No announcement yet.

GS shop recommendation east of Dallas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I lived in Rockwall and worked in Greenville 8 years ago. I found Clark's Wheeled Sports at 8705 Wesley St Greenville purely by accident.
    The owner, John, was a former Suzuki dealer. He loves and raced all things GS, he is also into Vincents. He must be close to eighty now. I didn't get any work done through him but found him a wealth of knowledge on old Suzukis. He still had original GS tanks on the shelf, some with shotgun damage due to an after hours uninvited guests. The workshop is old school and he always busy repairing all sorts of bike. Mainly older ones. He is close and it couldn't hurt to drop in for a chat.
    Hope this helps.
    Rob K.
    1983 GSX1000SD Katana

Comment

Originally posted by alke46 View Post
      On which bike?
      Take your pick

00 Bandit 1200S
      07 KLR 650
      04 FJR1300
      03 BMW R1150R
      08 BMW F800ST
      07 Yamaha FZ6
      97 DR350SE
      04 VSTROM650

None of those bike ever burned a drop of oil that I know of and the oil is checked regularly in a PM cycle I have for each vehicle in the garage. Maybe I've been exceptionally lucky over the years. If Ihave to pack a quart of oil on the bike with me I find that mildly inconvienent. I mean that's the room a bottle of whiskey could be using

Comment

Originally posted by Aussie Rob View Post
        I lived in Rockwall and worked in Greenville 8 years ago. I found Clark's Wheeled Sports at 8705 Wesley St Greenville purely by accident.
        The owner, John, was a former Suzuki dealer. He loves and raced all things GS, he is also into Vincents. He must be close to eighty now. I didn't get any work done through him but found him a wealth of knowledge on old Suzukis. He still had original GS tanks on the shelf, some with shotgun damage due to an after hours uninvited guests. The workshop is old school and he always busy repairing all sorts of bike. Mainly older ones. He is close and it couldn't hurt to drop in for a chat.
        Hope this helps.
        Rob K.
        I grew up west of Forth Worth and moved over here Oct of last year. I did run across Clark's. Place is still there, I've bought a few parts there and he has a GStank on the self in front of the register. Place looks like a gold mine of old bikes in the back but from what I've been told it's not a MC salvage yard lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Downs View Post
          Take your pick

00 Bandit 1200S
          07 KLR 650
          04 FJR1300
          03 BMW R1150R
          08 BMW F800ST
          07 Yamaha FZ6
          97 DR350SE
          04 VSTROM650

None of those bike ever burned a drop of oil that I know of and the oil is checked regularly in a PM cycle I have for each vehicle in the garage. Maybe I've been exceptionally lucky over the years. If Ihave to pack a quart of oil on the bike with me I find that mildly inconvienent. I mean that's the room a bottle of whiskey could be using
          All of these bikes you want me to choose from are all light years advanced compared to a 78 GS 1000. I would doubt if any older (78-79) GS 1000 could make a claim of no oil consumption, especially since most of them would be getting their oil changed after 3,000 miles or so.
          Larry

'79 GS 1000E
          '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
          '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
          '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
          '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend, now for sale.

Comment

None of the 3 78 and 1000s I have use oil. But then again I did complete engine rebuilds when I restored them. If all is correct with the engine and gaskets they dont use oilk.
            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
              ...If all is correct with the engine and gaskets they dont use oil.
              Yep. If oil is departing the engine of your GS, something is wrong. The point at which you take action is mostly up to you...

Also, if you just do the valve seals it may or may not solve the problem, or may only be a partial solution. It's impossible to be precise about the odds.
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
              X