Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you recommend the Morgan Carbtune Pro?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tom R View Post
    What’s wrong with the mercury gauge? I’d think that’s pretty much the standard.
    Mercury is pretty much banned in any application now so not an option unless you can find an old one.
    Learn about the federal laws that direct EPA to regulate various forms of mercury

Even though I remember playing with it in school....
    sigpic
    09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
    1983 GS1100e
    82\83 1100e Frankenbike
    1980 GS1260
    Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

I have purchased 2 morgans.

I think for ease of use the Morgan is far superior to others on the market.

Have synchronized numerous bikes. The 08 fuel injected Bandit 1250 was the last one. Worked very well to even out the throttle bodies. As others have mentioned. Ditch the plastic adapters. One misalignment threading them to the ports and they are garbage.

I've only had one problem with the carbrune.

The first unit I purchased had an issue with hanging slides. I dont know if there was a manufacturing defect or what. But #1and #4 slides would stick and hang open. And would give false readings.

This second unit I had never did it, and always gave me accurate readings.

Nic
      83 GS1100ES rebuild:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170032

Budget GSXR Conversion:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=200563

New to me bike: 2008 B-KING

Comment

Originally posted by Tom R View Post
        What’s wrong with the mercury gauge? I’d think that’s pretty much the standard.
        I accidently knocked mine over while working in the garage. Some mercury spilled out on the concrete floor. It looked to me like the mercury had dust on it , so I considered it contaminated and not worth trying to put back in. I have no idea if the amount spilled would compromise the reads so I'm taking it to a hazardous waste site.
        And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
        Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Thanks for all the replies! I appreciate it.
          The website shows the brass connectors are included. Hope so.
          My biggest gripe with mercury is what I guess is hot air or condensation getting into the columns. If the synch takes awhile, too much heat enters the tool and you see air gaps in the mercury, making it difficult to synch correctly. It's happened to me a couple of times over the years. The Carbtune will eliminate that.
          Their website says the British pound is weaker right now, so the Carbtune with shipping is about $97. It was about $120 last year when I was considering one.
          So I'll go ahead and order it. Thanks for the help, everyone. I appreciate it.
          And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
          Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
            The hoses are connected to the intake side/carb side, which stays cool, so the fiber filled nylon screw in connectors do not need replacing with metal connectors.
            I don't get ya, Earl. The hoses (via adapters) should connect to the manifold on the head. I don't know what you mean by connecting them to a "cool" area.

'[/QUOTE]

Comment

Originally posted by KEITH KRAUSE View Post
              I accidently knocked mine over while working in the garage. Some mercury spilled out on the concrete floor. It looked to me like the mercury had dust on it , so I considered it contaminated and not worth trying to put back in. I have no idea if the amount spilled would compromise the reads so I'm taking it to a hazardous waste site.
              Not to mentioned accidentally (as in brain fart) blippping the throttle too much and sucking the mercury through the combustion chamber.
              '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisMA View Post

The only minor problem I had was that the included tubing tended to soften with heat, which makes it easy to tear them when removing them from the fitting. But, since it used the same tubing as the vacuum lines on my GS, and I had a bunch extra lying around, it was no big deal for me. I'd suggest letting everything cool down before pulling them off.
                I could see that happening. I've always applied a light coat of silicone grease to the aluminum adapters that are on my Motion Pro. Hoses slip on and off easily. I do the same with the carb bowl overflow lines and various other hoses. I'll do the same with the barbed Carbtune adapters.
                Thanks for pointing that out.

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy View Post
                  Not to mentioned accidentally (as in brain fart) blippping the throttle too much and sucking the mercury through the combustion chamber.
                  Never did that but that's another great reason to upgrade.

Comment

Originally posted by KEITH KRAUSE View Post
                    I don't get ya, Earl. The hoses (via adapters) should connect to the manifold on the head. I don't know what you mean by connecting them to a "cool" area.

I meant that the intake manifold and carbs (everything on the intake side of the engine) stays cool as opposed to the exhaust side. heh
                    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

If you have proper gauges and use them properly (held vertical), there is no way that should happen. The columns should be over 30" long. A perfect vacuum (which is NOT achievable with a GS engine) is right near 30" Hg. The only way you will suck Mercury past that mark is if the gauge is at an angle that puts the top less than 30 inches higher than the bottom.

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Well ....speaking from experiance I beg to.differ. LOL
                        '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

I bought a Morgan, and I was really shocked by how cheesy the connectors are compared with a cheap 4 dial set I bought off of E Bay. They both work equally well, in my opinion. I guess there is a tiny bit more fiddling with the gauge set. You have to mess with needle valves a bit to dampen pulsations in the gauge. Really nice chrome over polished brass fittings and attachments though. One is on either end of the country, and I don't care which I use, really.
                          sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Well ....speaking from experiance I beg to.differ. LOL
                            Yep, me too. I've blipped the throttle and had the engine suck down mercury and the gauges were absolutely hanging and vertical. On the other hand, I've blipped the throttle using a Morgan and never had the engine suck the insides out of it. LOL
                            Last edited by earlfor; 09-22-2018, 11:57 AM.
                            All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Thanks Earl. At least I'm not the only dummy in the crowd. LOL. Have a great day.

Comment

I have a 1980 Morgan mercury set.
                                The hoses have plastic chokes to prevent the mercury getting sucked out I suppose.
                                97 R1100R
                                Previous
                                80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Working...
                                X