Oh Great

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh Great

I just topped up my wife's bike with fuel and added some fuel stabilizer to put it to bed for winter. As I accelerated out of the gas station, I suddenly had a "no go" situation. Ah, the dreaded rear wheel spline strip-a-rooni. As you guessed, it's an '82. It's an 850 with 78,000 km on it. Guess I'll be looking for a spline this winter. Now, how do I tell her? Oh yeah, it's her birthday tomorrow. "Happy Birthday Dear, I broke your bike." Yeesh. At least I changed the oil in her car today. Maybe I'll just point out some threads about crappy '82 splines on the site here so I won't be vilified.
    Kevin
    E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
    "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
    Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

You're safe. Just point out that it's better that it died now, rather than 200 km from home on a rainy day.
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

You lost the drive at the rear wheel? I have one I won't be using, took it off an 81 for just in case stuff. It's been wrapped in a towel on the shelf for about 2 years. You're in Canada, maybe not worth the cost.
      Last edited by wymple; 11-19-2018, 01:04 PM.

Comment

Check with Rob, Kevin
        No signature

Comment

Originally posted by wymple View Post
          You lost the drive at the rear wheel? I have one I won't be using, took it off an 81 for just in case stuff. It's been wrapped in a towel on the shelf for about 2 years. You're in Canada, maybe not worth the cost.
          You're probably right, I'll search locally first, but I'll keep you in mind. Thanks!
          Kevin

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post
            Check with Rob, Kevin
            I did have that thought. I'll take it apart first to confirm my suspision.
            Kevin

Comment

78,000 km? Holy crap, that must be some sort of record. These things usually blow at around half that.
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post
                Check with Rob, Kevin
                He definitely owes one Kevin, maybe even get him to install it while you're at it and make buy him the beer while you watch .....and of course invite Trevor over as well ...to help drink the beer of course.
                '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy View Post
                  He definitely owes one Kevin, maybe even get him to install it while you're at it and make buy him the beer while you watch .....and of course invite Trevor over as well ...to help drink the beer of course.
                  Works for me!!
                  No signature

Comment

Any excuse for some beer.....
                    sigpic
                    83 GS1100g
                    2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy View Post
                      Hah! After I've had a good look at it, it appears it HAS been replaced at some point, but that's NOT the problem, the splines are fine, both on the wheel and pumpkin. I did the "hold the universal and spin the wheel" check, and no movement on the universal. Perhaps I've blown the pumpkin? I'll have to check the parts list and see what can go. Any suggestions? What else fails on these?
                      Kevin

Comment

Look again. Get in there with a good light and a pick or q-tips or something.

When these things blow, the outer rim of the teeth in the spline on the wheel look intact, but they're blown out on the inside.

It's really honestly hard to see until you get really close or remove the driven spline from the wheel.
                        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

I see what you mean. It LOOKED fine, but really once I took it off and cleaned it, I had a "Houston, we have a problem" moment. A friend managed to source one for me. Installed and ready to go in the Spring.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by mcycle-nut; 12-26-2018, 08:22 PM.
                          Kevin

Comment

See, now you're the hero
                            1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                            1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                            1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                            1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                            1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                            1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                            2007 DRz 400S
                            1999 ATK 490ES
                            1994 DR 350SES

Comment

And saved yourself some beer in the process.

V
                              Gustov
                              80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                              81 GS 1000 G
                              79 GS 850 G
                              81 GS 850 L
                              83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                              80 GS 550 L
                              86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
                              2002 Honda 919
                              2004 Ural Gear up

Comment