One of the coolest part of my new old GS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One of the coolest part of my new old GS

Went out yesterday to run some errands, evaluate a new helmet and thrash my bike on some twisties and

This bike never ceases to be a conversation starter. Pull up at the store and some older guy .. well a bit older than me .. gets out of an expensive car and just starts talking me up about my bike and his memories. Pretty cool. Happens almost every time I go out. So much fun to see what memories it conjures in people about their heyday!

Only bike that generated almost as much attention of all the bikes i have owned was my T100.

Last edited by Guest; 03-16-2019, 11:02 AM.

I'm also surprised at the number of people that comment on my bike as well. It was rather comical last summer when a nice young lady started to ask about mine and didn't realize my bike was older than she is, she thought it was something new that she hadn't seen before!
    1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
    1982 GS450txz (former bike)
    LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

The track day youngsters couldnt even figure out what it was. Its why I bought my 900 Sprint. Most of the Harley guys owned Triumph's back in the day. Almost every time I was gassing it up sparked a conversation.
      Current Rides: 82 GS1100E, 00 Triumph 955 Speed Triple, 03 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 01 Honda GL1800, '15 Kawasaki 1000 Versys
      Past Rides: 72 Honda SL-125, Kawasaki KE-175, 77 GS750 with total yosh stage 1 kit, 79 GS1000s, 80 GS1000S, 82 GS750e,82 GS1000S, 84 VF500f, 86 FZR600, 95 Triumph Sprint 900,96 Triumph Sprint, 97 Triumph Sprint, 01 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 07 Triumph Tiger 1050, 01 Yam YFZ250F
      Work in progress: 78 GS1000, unknown year GS1100ES

Comment

Back in 2011, I was on a work assignment just down the road from Lake George, NY, and it happened to be during the Americade Rally. My Wing would have been "just another Wing" in that group, so I decided to take something a bit more unusual and took my 850.

Unfortunately, I had to work during the day, but rode up there for the evenings. Whenever I came back to the bike, there was always a small group around it, and I was happy to answer questions.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Yep, "usedtahaves" are both a benefit and a hazard of riding a GS.

I was once exiting a local Scottish bistro after breakfast, and a passing garbage truck driver made a u-turn and pulled up in the parking lot, with his reeking machine blocking in several cars. He jumped out gabbling a mile a minute. I gathered that he was in the midst of restoring a GS of his own, he admired mine for a bit, then was on his way.

I've also noticed that sometimes I get guys who take a close look, then ask "how much you want for that"? It took me a while to understand that they didn't really want a number, they want to express admiration and talk about old motorcycles for a few minutes.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Yup...one of those gas pump approaches ledme to a $125.00 skunk for Rustybronco.........
            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

That sortta thing used to happen all the time, when I drove my 1970 Vette.
              Never happens on my GS. I get a lot of backs turned on me, one guess what they ride.
              "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
              1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
              1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
              1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
                That sortta thing used to happen all the time, when I drove my 1970 Vette.
                Never happens on my GS. I get a lot of backs turned on me, one guess what they ride.
                Same with me. I can't stop anywhere in my '68 Corvette without someone coming up and complimenting it or talking about the one they, or a person they know had back in the day. The GS1000S..not so much..which surprises me..'cause to me, it's way more rare and cool looking.
                1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

My son used to borrow my 59 Olds just to go cruise and talk to the endless gawkers asking him about it. I get that some on my GS, but the old Moto Guzzi Cal II really gets them looking.

Comment

I've had a handful of compliments and waives in the last year and a half of owning my 83 GS850L. It's always been "old guys." When I bought the bike, I had no idea about the following they have. It was just a bike sitting in front of a house with a forsale sign that had been sitting there for 6 months. Finally stopped to check it out and it was within my price range so I rode it home. I didn't know what I had, but a guy at work told me they're good bikes and referred me to GS Resources. And here I am!
                    - 1983 GS850L ~ 30,000 miles and going up - Finally ready for a proper road trip!
                    - 1977 GS750B - Sold but not forgotten

Comment

My bike gets a lot of attention. It seems that whenever I pull up to the gas station I get into a conversation with someone about my bike, most of the time it's great but every now and then it gets annoying if I'm in a rush. Sometimes when I would go to a weekly car gathering, my bike would get more attention than the cars, pretty cool!

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Comment

People always like to see things that remind them of when they were younger, especially if that thing is in great condition.
                        I get compliments on my GS now and then, but I actually get more on my ZX14. Recently, I've had 2 compliments on my 14 while waiting at a red light. I couldn't hear well in my helmet but I knew they liked the bike.
                        And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                        Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

I used to get that when I rode my brother's (now mine) Honda CB900f. Not so much the 1150, and certainly not the Bandit.
                          "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                          ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                          1982 CB900f

Comment

Same here. Excepting the rare occasion of running into someone who knows what it is, my ES is nearly invisible to classic bike guys.

My old black / red 1150e did draw attention when I owned it. That was back in the late 90s when naked bikes were making a comeback and several times I was asked if it was a new model. It really was a good looking bike and in great condition.
                            sigpic
                            When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                            -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                            -Rusty old scooter.
                            Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                            https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                            https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Funny, but I think it has about 50% to do with color, 40% condition, and about 10% make and model? All I know is that I get constant thumbs ups, and guys stopping to chat and compliment me on my bright red 1983 GS1100e. Not so much on my black 1983 GS1100e or maroon/dark red 1982 GS1100e. All three are equally nice in my eyes, same exact models, same low miles..... but the other two are mostly invisible. Now the red 1983, that one saved my butt from getting a nasty ticket that I actually deserved, as I was basically going double the posted speed limit on an empty country road. The cop that pulled me over, he was about my age, mid fifties, driving an unmarked Ford SUV, a King County deputy. When I saw his lights, pulled right over, took my helmet off, and as he is walking up to the bike, he just kinda smiled, looked at me with my gray beard, looked at the bike, walked around the bike once, and said "man, that's a nice bike, what year is it?" Told him 1983, he was a bit shocked, said the bike looked brand new. Right then I knew he was a motorcyclist, so said thanks, you must ride too, what do you ride? Said he had a newer Honda VTX1300 cruiser, then we chatted for about 5 minutes or so about old bikes and his plans for an upcoming ride he had planned to do, up to Banff Alberta..... just a nice guy. Told him, yes, was speeding a bit, but didn't really know by how much. Asked him what he had me clocked at, he said he had me at 70 mph in a 35 mph..... I'm thinking Ouch!, crud, haven't had a ticket on a motorcycle since 1983 on my CB750F....
                              Asked him where he started tailing me, because I hadn't seen him at all, he said about 5 miles back, that the only reason he caught up to me was a traffic light, told him I was sorry, but was just really enjoying the first nice spring day ride of the year, he said, well, you have fun, but your too old to be going that fast, slow it down, told me to enjoy the rest of my ride. He never even did ask for license and registration and insurance papers..... as they they say, you meet the nicest people on a Honda? So if any of you know an officer/deputy Dorffman with the King County Sheriffs department, he belongs to a Honda riders club, tell him hi, and thanks much.

Comment

Working...
                              X