• Show
Clear All

Good to hear Dave
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
      Good to hear Dave
      THanks. And has been a couple weeks since you updated your post about your recovery.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by Spyder View Post
        . . . . . ...
        Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
        . . . . . . . ..
        You do know, dont you? That when I say something that seems silly or stupid, I am trying to be funny. Well, most of the time.

GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
          You do know, dont you? That when I say something that seems silly or stupid, I am trying to be funny. Well, most of the time.
          We need a "funny" button, also....
          Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
          '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

I went down because of stupidly leaving the kick stand down on my 850 a few years ago. heading home after a bike and hike I was feeling spiffy and twisted it up a little. was going about 85 and started to lean into a long left curve. when the stand first hit It took me two kicks to get it back up. By then I was on the edge of the shoulder and then on the grass. I low sided into a wide grassy area luckily. I remember thinking that it felt like falling into a pillow bed because my gear saved me from what would've definitely been a bit of road rash. Broke a mirror and a signal light. picked the bike up and rode home. felt very dumb.

I check the kick stand position more carefully now which is a lot but I guess it could happen again.
            2002 bmw r1150gs 1978 gs1000E skunk les pew 1979 gs1000L dragbike
            82 gs1100L probably the next project
            1980 gs1000G the ugly 1978 gs750E need any parts?
            https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m_m2oYJkx1A
            1978 gs1000E skunk #2 RLAP

Comment

My fear is just the opposite - that I'll get off the bike without the stand fully open. On both my bikes, sometimes I'll give it a good jolt and it pops back closed.

So I am a little compulsive, making sure it's fully open, then stepping on the end as I pull the bike backwards and to the left. I have nightmares about parking downhill in neutral, not against the curb, and the bike rolling forward and folding up the stand.
              1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Glad you're healing up Dave. Take it slow. Old age causes slower healing.(hee hee)
                Current Bikes:
                2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Ahh, Ol' Dave's a trooper. He'll be riding this coming weekend...

Aaaaand shortly after he gets back his wife will kill him for doing it...
                  '83 GS 1100T
                  The Jet

sigpic
                  '95 GSXR 750w
                  The Rocket

I'm sick of all these Irish stereotypes! When I finish my beer, I'm punching someone in the face ! ! !

Comment

This one needs the like button.
                    Current Bikes:
                    2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Originally posted by ddaniels View Post
                      This one needs the like button.
                      Just LIKE this one !!

LIKE.jpg
                      Currently in the Stable :
                      2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
                      1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
                      - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

You can expect it to feel like cartilage for 6 months. It's gonna ache slightly for years.
                        "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                        1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                        1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                        1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

As I have said before; With two RNs and a Physical Therapist in the family, I aint getting away with too much.

Update:

Dr Ortho appointment, Monday, at 7 weeks, said is healing,
                          but, yah, is not really new bone, but mostly more like cartilage building up. In xray cant even see the cartilagge buildup, just a couple little wisps of bone threads. (Actually, the xrays dont look much different than the original one, other than the jagged edges are less jagged, and the couple little wisps of bone)
                          With the broken bones overlapping like they are, can feel the big lump of cartilage forming, and can tell the the bone edges are not grunching against each other like they were the first week or so.
                          I asked doctor when I will be past the point of being concerned for easily re-injuring things, and he said because of the overlapp it needs a lot of new material built up and will need the full 12 weeks before much of cartilage starts to turning into bone. Jeepers, man, that is 3rd week of September. (which is what was said on first visit.)

Started PT yesterday. First visit was mostly consult, and took range of motion test and strength test.
                          I got prescribed about 6 exercises (with the resistance stretchy band) to do 3 sets of 10 each. After the first exercise, I quickly backed down to 2 sets, then 1 1/2 sets, and by the time I was doing the last one, I figured one set was enough for the first day, since was getting sore and tired. Will see how I do today.
                          I am getting good consult from RN son-in-law (x-Navy, emergency RN, weight lifter) that the best exercise is the one you will do, and that dont do so much that cant finish the others, and dont do so much that dont want to do them again. Do enough that can keep doing them the next few days, then will be able to do more. If do too much, then dont make any progress.

Right now, I dont have strength to hold up bike if had to. Would injur myself and/or drop the bike.
                          Will keep up incentive to keep up the exercises. Need to work up strength.
                          My incentive tois to keep at it, so I build up the strength ..... 3rd week September is too long.... uuhhhhh.

Two weeks is end of August. Will see whats up then.
                          Three weeks is first week Sept. Yah!

Comment

Just saw this thread. Glad you're getting better, Dave.
                            And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                            Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

I'm late to the party but glad to hear you're on the mend!

The sidestand feels like one of the things that's going to get me one of these days. I've taken off a couple times with it down. Luckily I've heard the characteristic scraping and stopped before anything bad happened. The sidestand on my G model has a weak spring and doesn't sproing up as well as it should and I'm about 50% sure that it came down one time on its own. This is the motivation I needed to address that sooner rather than later.
                              Charles
                              --
                              1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Originally posted by eil View Post
                                .............. motivation ........

Comment

Working...
                                X