Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suggestions for throttle stop (cruise control) that clamp onto the grip.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gsrick View Post
    What like these guys did?

Did either of the owners say if the tie-straps worked?
    And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
    Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Originally posted by Wingsconsin View Post
      I have the Vista cruise on my 850 -
      I also have the foam grip puppies over the typical grips
      The Vista works OVER the FOAM grips quite well - it has many adjustments -
      I have tied a lot of different ones - Right now I have a wide throttle rocker and the Vista lock
      The rocker I only use on the highways to ease the grip pressure needed for a longer ride.
      I don't like the rocker when more precise control is needed so I remove it and hang it on one of my windscreen stays.
      The Vista Lock is like any other throttle lock (except it works) as it locks the throttle in place
      Not a cruise control - it doesn't adjust for up or down hills - so you may find yourself going slow or fast
      BUT - to rest your hand, open a pocket, take a drink, or scratch your nose -- Perfect !

Any chance you could post a pic here?
      One other question, please. So the Vista unit goes directly over the grip and the 3 set screws tighten the Vista's "collar" around the grip? Or do the set screws actually go through the grip and contact the throttle tube? Thanks for the help.
      And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
      Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Originally posted by KEITH KRAUSE View Post
        Any chance you could post a pic here?
        One other question, please. So the Vista unit goes directly over the grip and the 3 set screws tighten the Vista's "collar" around the grip? Or do the set screws actually go through the grip and contact the throttle tube? Thanks for the help.
        I will get a picture tonight when I get home and post it tomorrow
        The three screws tighten onto the collar and grab the grip (even the foam) and then it can 'lock' into place.
        A picture is worth 1000 words --
        Even then I did not 'get it' until I had it in my hands and was ready to assemble it onto the bike
        Currently in the Stable :
        2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
        1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
        - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

I will get a picture tonight when I get home and post it tomorrow
          The three screws tighten onto the collar and grab the grip (even the foam) and then it can 'lock' into place.
          A picture is worth 1000 words --
          Even then I did not 'get it' until I had it in my hands and was ready to assemble it onto the bike
          Thanks very much. I appreciate your time.

Comment

Hope this helps - Ask for more if you need anything

Pictures & Video

Here's where I keep the Throttle Rocker I use when not on the grip --
            My windscreen has support rods and I slip it onto one of them when not in use
            I do not like it when I am in need of fine throttle control - twistys, heavy traffic , - on the highway it is a useful item

Here are a few pictures of the Vista Cruise Throttle LOCK in position -

- Carl R. Munkwitz

Comment

Wingsconsin, thanks very much for taking the time to help. I do have 3 questions.
              1: What is the total width of the unit that's over the grip? Steve said it was 1/2" but it looks wider to me.
              2: Going by the "friction grooves" on one side of the Vista's thumb lever, it's intended to be mounted so the lever is pointing downward. You mounted yours pointing up, as Steve did. Why did you choose to mount it "up"?
              3: In between your switch housing and the Vista "collar", is that just a rubber ring used to fill the gap or ?
              Thanks again! I appreciate it.

Comment

Answers in RED as best I can

I have written the replies below in red within the context of quoting your post -
                This is to fulfill the length of message requirement

Originally posted by KEITH KRAUSE View Post
                Wingsconsin, thanks very much for taking the time to help. I do have 3 questions.

1: What is the total width of the unit that's over the grip? Steve said it was 1/2" but it looks wider to me.
                I would have to place a tape measure on it - I would guess at most 5/8" - It DOES reduce the grip length a tiny bit but not so much it interferes
                I remember having to loosen the brake reservoir to make room for the mount - slide it over a little inside the kill switch assembly

2: Going by the "friction grooves" on one side of the Vista's thumb lever, it's intended to be mounted so the lever is pointing downward. You mounted yours pointing up, as Steve did. Why did you choose to mount it "up"?
                I do not remember consciously making that choice - it MAY (?) be in the directions that way or I made an intuitive decision based on feel or ..?
                All I know right now for sure is it is really easy to flip 'on' or 'off' - and it works to hold the throttle in the position you are in at the time.

3: In between your switch housing and the Vista "collar", is that just a rubber ring used to fill the gap or ?
                That is the rubber grip underneath the foam grip puppies I have installed -
                The old grips were too thin for my liking so I added a layer of foam 'sleeves' to the existing grips - Google grip puppies
                The grips have that flared end against the switch housing to cover the throttle tube

Thanks again! I appreciate it.

- Carl R. Munkwitz

Comment

Answering IN RED.

I will meaure it when I get home, it might be just a bit over 1/2".

Actually, it is designed to go UP. If it were pointing down, it would be VERY awkward to engage and disengage. Carl's video showed how it works, but it's better when you are sitting on the bike. I use the side of my index finger to bring it down to LOCK position, use my thumb to bump it up to UNLOCK. Very easy, almost intuitive.

To me, that looks like the flange on the stock grips. The foam is a cylinder that slides over the stock grip.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Looking closely at Steves pictures and mine I have noticed what I think are differences in installation
                    I think this is due to the use of mine over the stock grips AND the grip puppies -
                    I installed my 'ring' that grips the throttle tube and grips backwards from how Steve's is done I think ?
                    My gripping rubbers are facing outward and his are facing inward -
                    You can see the tightening set screws on his are inward while mine are outside--

I seem to remember doing this as a choice deviating from standard to accommodate my bikes set-up -- ?
                    Both work just fine apparently

- Carl R. Munkwitz

Comment

As I mentioned (and showed) in posts #4 and #6, it can be mounted in either direction. Most of it depends on the size of the flange on the grip. If it's possible, I will trim down the flange so I can put the ring (with its setscrews) over it, and save the space on the grip. If that doesn't work, I slide the ring as far as possible toward the flange, which puts the setscrews farther than the curve at the base of the flange.

sigpic
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Looking closely at Steves pictures and mine I have noticed what I think are differences in installation
                        I think this is due to the use of mine over the stock grips AND the grip puppies -
                        I installed my 'ring' that grips the throttle tube and grips backwards from how Steve's is done I think ?
                        My gripping rubbers are facing outward and his are facing inward -
                        You can see the tightening set screws on his are inward while mine are outside--

I seem to remember doing this as a choice deviating from standard to accommodate my bikes set-up -- ?
                        Both work just fine apparently
                        Thank you, sir.

Comment

Steve, when you have time, let me know how wide that assembly is that fits over the grip.
                          I visited the Vista website and they show the thumb lever pointing toward the rider, which I'd probably want, easy on and off with your thumb, but I think the crossbar might interfere with pushing the start button on mine. If so, then pointing it upward probably is the best.
                          Thanks again for helping me out.

Comment

As you wish, Keith.

Evidently I mis-remembered the width of the ring, it's closer to 13/16".

Also shot a short video of operation. A quick search on YouTube for "Vista throttle lock" shows several videos regarding installation, use and reviews, but this one is for you, and addresses the concerns you have expressed.

sigpic
                            Family Portrait
                            Siblings and Spouses
                            Mom's first ride

Comment

My own video! Man, I'm going places now!
                              You're too good to me, Steve.

Comment

Just presenting the facts, so you can make an informed decision.

Oh, you might be "special", but you are not the first (nor last) I have done this for.

sigpic
                                Family Portrait
                                Siblings and Spouses
                                Mom's first ride

Comment

Working...
                                X