Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recommendations for small, portable air pump?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recommendations for small, portable air pump?

I'm looking for a reliable, lightweight air pump to add to my tool kit when I travel. I'm hoping some of you have bought something that works well.
    I'm looking at the Dynaplug Ultra Compact 12V, another pump from Stop 'N Go, and a Bikemaster mini pump...
    Any you recommend? Thanks.
    And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
    Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Bob Groger had one that came in handy on a trip to John Day a couple of years ago...
    '83 GS650G
    '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

I have an older motopumps unit.

It looks as though the one I have is no longer sold, but it still works, and was highly recommended at the time.

The new ones look good, but do your research.
      Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
      '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Check out the Slime brand. I carry one all the time. Hasn't let me down yet.
        Larry

'79 GS 1000E
        '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
        '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
        '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
        '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend, now for sale.

Comment

I have the motopumps unit and it's fantastic.

It has the 2 ports so you can take the pressure of the tire without removing the hose connection, and the hose connection does not leak which is awesome.

Comes with various SAE power connectors, 12VDC cig lighter socket, DIN and clips.

I bought 2 Airshots and got them for $50 each. with the ADV rider discount.

David.

PS, Here is a link to the ADV discount, there is an "Add to Cart" button at the bottom of the first post, you are welcome.

Introducing the new MotoPumps Air Shot inflator -- The smallest, lightest, most feature packed, best performing 12v inflator on the Planet! Powered by...
          Last edited by Kiwi Canuck; 10-23-2019, 12:43 AM.
          2018 Honda Africa Twin AS
          2013 DR 650 Grey, sold 1981 GS 650E Silver,

1980 GS1000ST Blue & White, X2

2012 DL650 Vstrom Foxy Orange, in storage
          1981 CT110 X2 "Postie Bikes" Gone to a New Home.
          2002 BMW 1150 GS Blue & White - Sold
          1975 BMW R90/6 Black - Sold 1984 GS1150EF Sold
          1982 BMW R100 Africa trip, Stolen - Recovered- Sold
          1977-1980 Suzuki GS550, GS1000E, GS1000S GSX750, GSX1100,s
          Hondas ST90, CR125 CB175 , CB350 CB750, NSU Quickly, Yamaha RD's 350/400,

Comment

They look good.. I carry a $15 slime model on the KLR. It's worked out alright the few times I've used it (I use a $40 harbor freight compressor when at home)
            1980 GS1000G - Sold
            1978 GS1000E - Finished!
            1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
            1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
            2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
            1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
            2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Have to admit, looks like a h3ll of a bargain. It's the newest thing on my must have for a road trip list...
              '83 GS 1100T
              The Jet

sigpic
              '95 GSXR 750w
              The Rocket

I'm sick of all these Irish stereotypes! When I finish my beer, I'm punching someone in the face ! ! !

Comment

Loofah

I carry a loofah. Much lighter, and can be compressed into a smaller space.
                1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                  I carry a loofah. Much lighter, and can be compressed into a smaller space.
                  Beware a man with a loofah; he probably knows how to use it.
                  ---- Dave
                  79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                  80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                  79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                  92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
                    Beware a man with a loofah; he probably knows how to use it.
                    In the beginning, it's not that hard. Lather, wash under the arms, rinse, repeat.

But it could take a lifetime to master the nuances.
                    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Yes but can it pump the air not just squeeze it?
                      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I carry the small Slime brand pump. $15 or so just about anywhere. I've never had one fail, but I do test it a couple of times a year and replace it every two or three years.

For tubeless tires, I carry a Nealey Mini Kit. It's pretty much the best "sticky string" on the planet. They are inserted differently than most, so make sure you read the directions. But basically you end up with four strands through the hole, with a knot inside the tire to ensure they can't pull out, and you don't need glue. Regular sticky strings usually work fine as well, but they require glue, which always seems to be dried up when you need it...

Just FYI, the Stop-n-Go rubber mushroom plugs are worse than useless in a motorcycle tire (and mostly useless in car tires...). I used to carry this kit, but after multiple failures -- the plugs inevitably pop out in a few miles -- I finally got the hint. Avoid.

Also, in case anyone is wondering CO2 cartridge inflators are also pretty useless. You need four to eight cartridges to get a motorcycle tire over 20 psi and remotely rideable. And then you're out of options if you have a slow leak, multiple punctures, or have trouble getting your repair to seal. A small electric pump is a lot lighter and cheaper, and you're not going to run out unless you manage to drain your battery.
                        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                          For tubeless tires, I carry a Nealey Mini Kit. It's pretty much the best "sticky string" on the planet. They are inserted differently than most, so make sure you read the directions. But basically you end up with four strands through the hole, with a knot inside the tire to ensure they can't pull out, and you don't need glue. Regular sticky strings usually work fine as well, but they require glue, which always seems to be dried up when you need it...
                          https://www.nealeytirerepairkit.com/...ini-repair-kit
                          Based on Brian's recommendation, I got a Nealey kit last year before our attempted "Little Ride". Had no need to use it until a couple of weeks ago, when my son found a nail in his van tire. In an effort to keep it simple, I pulled out my Slime kit, applied the required liberal amount of glue and inserted a (Slime) string. Soapy water showed it was still leaking, so I pulled the Slime string out and went for the Nealey kit. It goes in surprisingly easy, for a dry string. Certainly a LOT easier than a dry Slime string. Followed the instructions for insertion, inflated the tire and checked with soapy water again. No leaks this time. A couple of weeks later, it's still holding just fine.

I will probably order a refill kit of strings sometime before the next riding season, but I have now witnessed for myself how well they work and can heartily recommend them myself.

sigpic
                          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride
                          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I just checked out the Nealy website and the kits look worth throwing into the tool bag.

The website has some issues. Pricing is different on the information page versus the order page, and when I clicked on the mini kit, it filled in the form with the Deluxe, so be careful when ordering that you are getting what you expect.
                            '83 GS650G
                            '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Thanks for all the replies and links, discount tips! Much appreciated!
                              The Dynaplug Ultra Compact unit looks like a re-badged Motopump Airshot, which I like. I'll check out the Slime, but kinda hard to trust something so cheap?? Will check out the others too.
                              I have a plug kit from Genuine Innovations that worked on my ZX's rear tire the 1 time I needed it. It requires the CO2 cartridges which can get expensive. That's why I'd like to find a better air source and still use the kit I have for the ZX. For the GS, with it's tubes, I hope the combination of the air pump and a sealant, such as balance Plus or Slime, will work if needed. I used balance Plus many years ago and it worked both times I needed it. I'm not even sure it's still sold. I've heard about Slime quite a bit. Seems like it's works (?). Thanks again.
                              And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                              Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Working...
                              X