90 degree screwdriver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

90 degree screwdriver

What are you folks using to adjust the air mixture screws? My FZ1 is extremely tight in there. I found this one:

Motion Pro - High quality cables, tools and controls for motorcycles, ATVs, snowmobiles and personal watercraft.

But it's pretty expensive.
    Current Bikes:
    2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

I had need for such (those dern screws behind the cam end caps on 650G). I found the 0degree screw drives available were either too long or too short. So, with an ordinary propane torch and a vise and my own screw driver I bent one at the appropriate place for that application.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

I take a 1/4" closed end wrench and hot melt glue a 1/4", short hex sided screwdriver bit into the closed end. It works particularly well if you have a 1/4" racheting wrench. If there is a bit more space, a 1/4" rachet with a 1/4" socket to hold a short driver bit also works.
      All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
        I had need for such (those dern screws behind the cam end caps on 650G). I found the 0degree screw drives available were either too long or too short. So, with an ordinary propane torch and a vise and my own screw driver I bent one at the appropriate place for that application.

\
        If you buy a screwdriver at harbor freight, there is no need to heat it to bend it. NO, I'm not being facetious or snarky about that. LOL I have bent many of them by accident. heh On the other hand, if you need to drill a hole around a corner, their drill bits also bend very well. LMAO
        All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

I have that Motion Pro adjustment tool. It is indeed expensive. It is also of very high quality. Very well made. I have another as well. (I'll go find it, and attach it here) it was a LOT cheaper, but doesn't work as well. The MotionPro one, I will suggest right out of the box, to slightly disassemble it, and lose the little "clicker" ball. Works a lot better. In my opinion, worth the money, if you have it. NOW, after checking my old orders. The good one I bought, isn't "Motion Pro", but you can see it's the same tool. The crappier one I bought, is Motion Pro. Likely several brands made in the same sweatshop in china, lol...

AND, you can get the better one for $60

'83 GS 1100T
          The Jet

sigpic
          '95 GSXR 750w
          The Rocket

I'm sick of all these Irish stereotypes! When I finish my beer, I'm punching someone in the face ! ! !

Comment

Originally posted by Spyder View Post
            I have that Motion Pro adjustment tool. It is indeed expensive. It is also of very high quality. Very well made. I have another as well. (I'll go find it, and attach it here) it was a LOT cheaper, but doesn't work as well. The MotionPro one, I will suggest right out of the box, to slightly disassemble it, and lose the little "clicker" ball. Works a lot better. In my opinion, worth the money, if you have it. NOW, after checking my old orders. The good one I bought, isn't "Motion Pro", but you can see it's the same tool. The crappier one I bought, is Motion Pro. Likely several brands made in the same sweatshop in china, lol...

AND, you can get the better one for $60

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
            I have that first one and can't get it to fit under carbs 3 and 4. Plus, I can't tell if it's engaging with the screw slot.
            Current Bikes:

Comment

I can't use something where you have to swing it left to right. Not enough room. I'll probably get the "good" motion pro one. Heck the picture in there add shows them using it on an FZ1.
              Current Bikes:

Comment

I don't know how much room you have under there, probably not much. What it use on the VM carbs is a screwdriver bit stuck in a 1/4" drive socket and wrap the large end of the socket with a layer of duct tape for some grip and also put a couple lines on it with a pen so I can easily tell how much I'm turning it. I can just manage to get it in there turn it with my fingers. I bet I've got a lot more room than you have though.
                '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy View Post
                  I don't know how much room you have under there, probably not much. What it use on the VM carbs is a screwdriver bit stuck in a 1/4" drive socket and wrap the large end of the socket with a layer of duct tape for some grip and also put a couple lines on it with a pen so I can easily tell how much I'm turning it. I can just manage to get it in there turn it with my fingers. I bet I've got a lot more room than you have though.
                  Definitely not enough room for my hands. I tried that. There are a bunch of bad reviews for that blue motion pro tool. I guess I'll keep looking.
                  Current Bikes:

Comment

I haven't read the reviews, but in my experience with it, It was barely usable, until I took the "click" out of it. (which was really easy) It's just a tiny spring loaded BB inside the handle.

Once I did that, works great.
                    '83 GS 1100T
                    The Jet

sigpic
                    '95 GSXR 750w
                    The Rocket

I'm sick of all these Irish stereotypes! When I finish my beer, I'm punching someone in the face ! ! !

Comment

Originally posted by ddaniels View Post
                      I have that first one and can't get it to fit under carbs 3 and 4. Plus, I can't tell if it's engaging with the screw slot.
                      Yeah, that one was a disappointment right out of the packaging. On my old GS, I have a couple different screwdrivers about 2" long. I just reach my hand in there and adjust. But the GSXR won't have it. That cheap tool didn't come close to fitting in there. Plus it's like a cable drive inside that tube, and flexes. Hard to be accurate at all with it. Just sux. The blue one is the good one. I haven't found one that looks like it would work better than that one.
                      '83 GS 1100T
                      The Jet

sigpic
                      '95 GSXR 750w
                      The Rocket

Comment

Well ok I guess I'll give it a try. Thanks.
                        Current Bikes:

Comment

Would this work? It ratchets.

image.jpg
                          1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

I have the Motion Pro tool.

It is indeed very nice quality and it is indeed kind of expensive.

So far, it's also been completely useless. There is simply no way to tell whether it's engaged with the screw. Plus there's just not enough space to get the tool in place on many bikes.

One of my more disappointing purchases, TBH.

That said, I've never worked on a Fizzy, so who knows; this tool or something like it might be the absolute cat's patoot for that job on that bike.
                            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                              Would this work? It ratchets.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]59571[/ATTACH]
                              Nope. Not enough room to swing side to side. I need something that twists like a screwdriver.
                              Current Bikes:

Comment

Working...
                              X