No announcement yet.

whats your favorite GS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The only GS I've ever ridden is my 850L. It has G handle bars so it's fairly comfortable. Unlike most here, I actually do like the L styling, although I really like the G model styling as well. However, I think the early 750's were great looking bikes and I look forward to riding mine when it's done, as well as my 850G.
    - 1983 GS850L ~ 30,000 miles and going up - Finally ready for a proper road trip!
    - 1977 GS750B - Sold but not forgotten

Comment

1983 gs1100e

Comment

I've owned my 1983 GS850G for 22 years, so, uh, I guess my answer is obvious.

However, I've had the chance to ride several well-sorted examples of other GS models (And lots that were, uh, un-sorted. Pre-sorted?), and I'm sticking with the 850.

There's really something I find a lot more entertaining about spinning the 850's engine over the gruntier 1000G or 1100G. That rush at 6,000 rpm to redline is a giggle I never get tired of.

I greatly enjoy my other bikes as well, and these days my V-Strom and KLR650 get the bulk of the miles. And shortly after riding Larry's new Triumph Tiger 800, I set up a savings account labeled "Triumph Fund". One day, hopefully sooner rather than later, I'll jump into the ABS era.

But I'll keep my 850 as long as I can swing a leg over it, and probably long after. It just works so damn well, everything works perfectly and yeah, I made it work perfectly. And I've always loved the way it looks.

Besides, with something around 145,000 miles, it's barely "worth" anything. So I'm not going to be tempted to sell it.

And yes, the GS shafties handle FAR better than they have any right to. The 1100E is a gawdawful long truck-pig by comparison.

Also, in case anyone was wondering, I've ridden several GL models and if they're wearing reasonable handlebars, the handling is identical. Maybe even a little better since you're sitting down in the bike a bit. The L handlebars were beyond gawdawful from the factory, but that's easily fixed, and the rest of the handling equation is identical.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
          There's really something I find a lot more entertaining about spinning the 850's engine over the gruntier 1000G or 1100G. That rush at 6,000 rpm to redline is a giggle I never get tired of.
          And what does the 11E do from 6k to redline? Lug?

And was that pronounced "truck pig"? Them thars fightin' words!
          1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

My favorite GS is the one that I am riding at the time.

V
            Gustov
            80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
            81 GS 1000 G
            79 GS 850 G
            81 GS 850 L
            83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
            80 GS 550 L
            86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
            2002 Honda 919
            2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Thanks for all the positive comments guys. Appreciate it

Comment

Would have to be my 750. Not only am i the first and only owner, i was the one who uncrated it. Nobody else has touched it with a wrench...
                Dee Durant '83 750es (Overly molested...) '88 gl1500 (Yep, a wing...)

Comment

Working...
                X