How many miles is too many?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How many miles is too many?

There's an 81 850g for sale nearby that I took a look at about two weeks ago. It's reasonably priced for a complete non running bike and the seller seems pretty straight up in answering questions. To me it looks like a good bet to resurrect but I have one major concern, 78,000 miles on the clock. I'm quite OK with doing what's needed to make it a solid runner just short of a complete engine teardown, tools and a long term place to work on it being the main issue. Any thoughts?
    1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
    1982 GS450txz (former bike)
    LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

My question would be "how much history of those 78,000 miles are KNOWN?

If the current owner can give you personal experience with at least half of those miles, I would not worry too much.

My wife's bike is sitting in the garage right now with 74,548 on the odometer, still runs like new. Yeah, it's had some gaskets replaced and some other small stuff during the 30,000+ miles that we have had it, but nothing that should prevent anyone from buying it (if it were for sale).

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

It's so EZ to do a compression test on a GS.
      First_Make sure it's got decent oil in the sump.
      "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
      1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
      1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
      1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

The bigger question is how long has it been sitting, and why was it parked

The bane of old bikes is one with tight valves, that had hard starting and got parked
        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
        2007 DRz 400S
        1999 ATK 490ES
        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

The seller has several bikes around and seems to be a lot like me, wrenching is as much fun as riding. He wanted $600 in his ad and was down to $500 five minutes after I got there and after several "Are you still interested?" emails is down to $400. His assessment is "All it needs is a battery and plug wires" which to me could mean anything from new caps to an ignitor box. Without a battery a compression test is going to mean jumping it but considering his want to make room in his garage I'm sure I can talk him into grabbing his cables and spinning up the engine.

Just not sure I WANT a project considering my situation, being on the third floor makes pulling the bike in without the landlord noticing difficult! Renting a garage IS a possibility but adds to the price of rehabbing, the hobby aspect of that offsets some of that consideration though. Then there's moving the 450 on to it's next owner, don't think it would fetch squat down this way.

Comment

SO 400 and another 300 for a gasket kit, new cam chain, and new rings to get it basically back to zero mile engine. And a weekend to remove the lump and do the work. Id be all in myself. Space wise rent a 10x10 storage unit for a month...done
            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Yeah, I wouldn't worry too much about the mileage, and the price is a bargain even with various unknowns. The 850 is pretty easy on its bores.

That said, if you don't have the space or will to take it on over the next year or two, then maybe it's not a great idea.
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

78K miles is nothing to them, provided they've had regular oil changes and weren't thrashed every time out.
                Only thing to really beware of, is find out how the PO feels about clutchless changes. If he gets enthusiastic about them, calmly walk away, as you'll be buying trouble. Applies to any bike in my opinion, but my 79 suffered from a PO who did that to it and it later developed a reluctance to stay in 2nd.
                Here's the deal - clutchless changers are ass poles.
                ---- Dave
                79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

in my opinion, in 2020 it is not so much the MILES anymore as the age. I would count on a top-end refresh, chances are good the valve stem seals are going due to age, and as long as you are going in to do all that.....but, if ya put the 3-500 into the top end + whatever else it will need.....you should be good to go until they ban ice engines.....
                  1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

At $400 for a runner the price is right. Depending on the year, make and model a non running parts bike can cost $300-$2000.

Do you have the time, skills, tools and space to do any repairs?
                    Last edited by wyly; 01-01-2020, 01:13 PM.
                    1979 CBX, AW440 Maico, GS1150EF

Comment

I never take the odometer into much consideration on bikes or cars. Overall condition is everything in my book. My wing had over 87k on it when i bought it, its' condition of like new, (minor flaws) and a decent asking price, is what made me buy it...
                      Dee Durant '83 750es (Overly molested...) '88 gl1500 (Yep, a wing...)

Comment

Originally posted by kingofvenus View Post
                        My wing had over 87k on it when i bought it, its' condition of like new, (minor flaws) and a decent asking price, is what made me buy it...
                        Same thing here. My Wing was just a few miles shy of 91k and was six years old. I knew the previous owner, we went riding together quite often. I drooled over that bike and said I wanted one just like it some day. When he announced that he was getting a new bike, I said "I'll take it!"

sigpic
                        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride
                        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

There's a few models where that kind of milage wouldn't be too much an issue, the Goldwing and Honda ST series are two of them. As has been mentioned already, who owned it previously and how was it maintained? After calling the guy yesterday it doesn't seem that he knows much about the bike prior to owning it, combine that with the not having a convenient place to work on it and I'm going to pass.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                            Same thing here. My Wing was just a few miles shy of 91k and was six years old. I knew the previous owner, we went riding together quite often. I drooled over that bike and said I wanted one just like it some day. When he announced that he was getting a new bike, I said "I'll take it!"

I worked at a Honda dealer for years, started while still in high school. Back then i swore i'd never own a wing. Now, (i just turned 60 last month) after owning one i'd never be without it. I don't think my wife (she won't ride her own) would let me sell it either...
                            Dee Durant '83 750es (Overly molested...) '88 gl1500 (Yep, a wing...)

Comment

Originally posted by kingofvenus View Post
                              I worked at a Honda dealer for years, started while still in high school. Back then i swore i'd never own a wing. Now, (i just turned 60 last month) after owning one i'd never be without it. I don't think my wife (she won't ride her own) would let me sell it either...

Wisdom comes with age

I will not sell either my Wing nor my GS -- as long as I can ride --

Unless I am upgrading to the NEW 2018 Style Goldwing
                              Currently in the Stable :
                              2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
                              1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
                              - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

Working...
                              X