Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are GS1100E bikes more common than GS1100G bikes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are GS1100E bikes more common than GS1100G bikes?

Maybe its my imagination, but the E seems way more common. The E is 16V, yes?

I would think the 8V would have been more common, but every time I go to look for any parts for my 1100GL, I have to sift through page after page of E parts to find that the G parts don't exist at all.
    1982 GS1100GL: hand built stainless 4-1 exhaust, pods, jetting.

Yep, the shaft dr. wasn't very popular in those days.
    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
      Yep, the shaft dr. wasn't very popular in those days.
      But wasn't that the only way the 8V was available, at least at the time of the 1100?

Comment

Originally posted by Longitudinal View Post
        But wasn't that the only way the 8V was available, at least at the time of the 1100?
        You are correct, sir. 16 valve means chain, twin swirl combustion chambers, all the newest performance goodies.

The 11G was just an enlarged 1000 motor.
        1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
          You are correct, sir. 16 valve means chain, twin swirl combustion chambers, all the newest performance goodies.

The 11G was just an enlarged 1000 motor.
          What I have read is that the 1100 is incompatible in almost everything with the 1000 and that the only bike it shares any powertrain parts with is the 750.

But my point is that the 1100G is the "base" model, whereas the E was the fancy expensive sport model. In general, the fancy expensive sport model sells fewer units than the base--but that does not seem to have happened here.

Comment

That's not how it was back then.
            '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

Originally posted by Longitudinal View Post
              But my point is that the 1100G is the "base" model, whereas the E was the fancy expensive sport model. In general, the fancy expensive sport model sells fewer units than the base--but that does not seem to have happened here.
              The E was the flagship, but it was also the base model in that it was the newest, most recently designed engine. Cycle World, in their review of the 1982 11E, said that the '80 and '81 11Es (16 valve) were Jack of all trades: king of the dragstrip, yes, but also a favorite of tourers due to it's size and low end grunt, and great commuters due to it's amiable slow speed characteristics.

The problem? It just didn't look like the world's fastest motorcycle. It didn't cause the same visual excitement as Kawasaki's GPz 1100 or Honda's CBX.

So they redesigned it for '82, with some cues from the Katana school, which back then was rather radical, with no middle ground: people either loved it or hated it.

So the 11E was "freed" (rear sets, lower seat, etc.) to be a world-class Superbike, and an old 8 valve motor was enlarged and mated with a shaft drive to appease the 'reasonable' riders.

I'm just not sure of your original premise, that the E is more numerable than the G. It seems to me, on this site, at least, that shafts are everywhere and Es are the rare birds.
              1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

I've probably seen 15-20 1100E's on the road for every 1100G. Just my observation though.
                All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

The E was a cutting edge performance bike. Very popular. The G was shaft drive and more sedate; touring oriented or for less frenzy paced riding. Not the same market. This is not to say the E was a better bike because that's not necessarily the truth. Different strokes.
                  Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Which one is "better"?

That depends on how you plan on using it.

The E made more power. Because it had a chain for final drive, the gearing was easily changed. Because it was a Suzuki, it worked very well.

The G model was just a bit larger than the 1000G it replaced. Slightly different styling, as well, but nothing earth-shattering. Dead-reliable, and had a shaft drive to reduce overal maintenance. Because it was a bit more sedate, it was more popular with the touring crowd, but was hardly a competitor to Honda's Goldwing.

I don't have a clue about sales numbers, but I'll bet it was at least 6 or 7 Es sold for every G.

What specific parts are you looking for? We might be able to help you locate them.
                    You have my number, give me a call.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by isleoman
                      The one thing I did switch as part of the deal was the 160 mph speedometer.
                      Don't you mean 140?

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                        Don't you mean 140?
                        Depends if it came off a red bike. Red ones are faster, as you know.
                        ---- Dave
                        79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                        80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                        79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                        92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Regardless of production numbers, the 1100E was and remained popular with drag racers to this day. So 1100E parts have always had a lot more value. There's always been a ready market even for non-running or crashed parts bikes, and there are tons more aftermarket goodies available. More 1100Es got crashed, of course, but I suspect a far smaller portion than the Gs got pushed behind barns to simply rot.

There was also a widespread and mistaken notion that the shim valves in the 8V engines required expensive, mysterious, deep magick wizardry to adjust, so lots and lots of them were simply ignored as they slowly got harder and harder to start. One day, with anywhere from 12,000 - 24,000 miles on the clock, the clearances had narrowed to the point the engine wouldn't start before the battery died, and the bike was pushed into the barn (if it was lucky) or worse, behind the barn.

Decades later... "ran when parked" was the story, and/or "no time to ride". "Easy fix", "just needs carbs cleaned", "no title", etc.

Even in the early years of this very forum, too many were utterly terrified of opening the valve cover and mucking with shims. It used to be common at GS rallies for several riders to head out to the parking lot about 15 minutes early, spend five minutes wearing out the starter and then ten minutes warming up and filling the air with smog just to get their bikes to run that morning.

Lots of people just figured "old bikes" were expected to be hard to start and supposed to be unreliable.

It took a while to get the word out that a GS, any GS, should start with a quick stern glance at the starter button, and that shim valve adjustments can be accomplished by mortals. And are mandatory...
                          Last edited by bwringer; 01-31-2020, 12:58 PM.
                          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                            Which one is "better"?

That depends on how you plan on using it.

The E made more power. Because it had a chain for final drive, the gearing was easily changed. Because it was a Suzuki, it worked very well.

The G model was just a bit larger than the 1000G it replaced. Slightly different styling, as well, but nothing earth-shattering. Dead-reliable, and had a shaft drive to reduce overal maintenance. Because it was a bit more sedate, it was more popular with the touring crowd, but was hardly a competitor to Honda's Goldwing.

I don't have a clue about sales numbers, but I'll bet it was at least 6 or 7 Es sold for every G.

What specific parts are you looking for? We might be able to help you locate them.
                            You have my number, give me a call.

Better is subjective to application. lol A hammer is great for driving nails, but less than wonderful for trimming a hedge. eh
                            All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
                              A hammer is...less than wonderful for trimming a hedge. eh
                              Wrong! Incorrect! Inadmissible!

If you can't fix it with a hammer, you're not using a big enough hammer. If that's good enough for my surgeons, it's good enough for all of us.

Comment

Working...
                              X