Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

82' GS1100GK seemed like a good idea at the time..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82' GS1100GK seemed like a good idea at the time..

New to the forum here. Had a few questions about this land barge.
    From what I understand (as with most Suzuki's) there is a lot of part interchangeability ie the 850G parts are the same? Seems like availability on 850 parts are some what plentiful compared to 8 valve 1100 parts. I currently need to replace the o-rings in the tach cable into the motor may just do a whole new one (it is dripping intermittently). Along with valve seals, smokes at start up when cold for a few. The biggest pain I am finding with the GK is the darn seat pan...I have only found one for sale and it was priced as if it was actual gold. Mine is currently 3/4 of a pan due to rust. I have looked for complete 850g and 1100g seat pans and foam but also am coming up empty. Any one have a source? All in all the bike is solid and have put a few hundred miles on it since buying it in Nov of last year. I live in central Mass so that is about as late as I ride. I think I have rambled enough.

Bike is an 82 its brown and had 32000 miles on the clock when I bought it..well traded a untitled gs550 parts bike and a suzuki intruder I got at a swap meet for 100 bucks.

another question I had is will the 850g 17inch rear wheel bolt up to the gs1100g? I know I am going to get crap for this but if it does I plan on running shinko 705 tires

Comment

Many here, myself included, use and like the Shinko 705’s. Not sure about the fitting the 850G wheel to the 1100G. Shaftie riders will have to answer that one.
      Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 03-08-2020, 07:00 PM.
      Rich
      1982 GS 750TZ
      2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
      Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by MArider View Post
        another question I had is will the 850g 17inch rear wheel bolt up to the gs1100g? I know I am going to get crap for this but if it does I plan on running shinko 705 tires
        Can't find the exact GS1100GK on Partzilla, but the 850 wheel is the same item on the 82 GS1100G (I've got one here, on mine). The GK obviously has the heavier 41mm forks and I'm not confident that Suzuki would have upgraded the front and not uprated the rear, too.
        Buy Suzuki 64100-49810-291 - WHEEL, REAR (17XMT2.50) | Includes Item(s) 2. This OEM part is guaranteed by Suzuki's limited part warranty ✓ FREE Shipping on qualified orders - Partzilla.com
        ---- Dave
        79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
        80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
        79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
        92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Check out this thread. I made an offer on the seat but it didn't work out.
          He'll reply to an email, maybe the seat is still available.

Last edited by Burque73; 03-08-2020, 06:07 PM.
          Roger

Current rides
          1983 GS 850G
          2003 FJR 1300A
          Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Thank you everyone for the help. This may be the first forum were some one didnt automatically say...use the search function. I have run the 705's on a few random bikes just for the fact that there are some random dirt roads that lead to the most random old buildings out my way. They just dont make them in a 130 90 16 that I am aware of. Also thank you for the link to the seat. I think I may get some aluminum tape and kind of get it half way decent . I did wire brush the hell out of it and used some rest converter than primed and painted it for now. My wife said she would sow me up a seat cover. I am going a little hipster and using a Mexican blanket backed with marine vinyl. I am trying to keep costs down as I am married with 3 kidos and that always comes first. I will get some pictures up..it is no beauty queen and to me that means that riding through dirt rain mud and spraying it down with a house every now and then is about as love as it needs. actual maintenance on the other hand is something I believe in whether the bike is a pristine bike or my ugly monsters.

Comment

Thank you everyone for the help. This may be the first forum were some one didnt automatically say...use the search function. I have run the 705's on a few random bikes just for the fact that there are some random dirt roads that lead to the most random old buildings out my way. They just dont make them in a 130 90 16 that I am aware of. Also thank you for the link to the seat. I think I may get some aluminum tape and kind of get it half way decent . I did wire brush the hell out of it and used some rest converter than primed and painted it for now. My wife said she would sow me up a seat cover. I am going a little hipster and using a Mexican blanket backed with marine vinyl. I am trying to keep costs down as I am married with 3 kidos and that always comes first. I will get some pictures up..it is no beauty queen and to me that means that riding through dirt rain mud and spraying it down with a house every now and then is about as love as it needs. actual maintenance on the other hand is something I believe in whether the bike is a pristine bike or my ugly monsters.
              I'm sure that "ugly monster" on the road is way happier than even the museum quality bike that just sits there.

Someone posted a great writeup on making a seat cover, just can't remember who or where it is. Maybe on basscliff's site.
              Roger

Current rides
              1983 GS 850G
              2003 FJR 1300A
              Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Originally posted by Burque73 View Post
                I'm sure that "ugly monster" on the road is way happier than even the museum quality bike that just sits there.

Someone posted a great writeup on making a seat cover, just can't remember who or where it is. Maybe on basscliff's site.
                Ill have to check that out. I have an addiction for big full fairing old touring bikes. I was in the market for a gl1100 wing at the big swap meet out here and oddly last year was the only year there wasnt any for sale. but some how there were 6 gs1100gk's..I have never seen one in person until then. pricing is all over the place on them though, all were in running order and ranged from 800 to 6000.

Comment

I'm 99% sure all the shaft drive wheels will interchange. Just keep in mind that some are 16" and some 17".

I'm running SHinko 712's on my GS1100G but I've run 705's on a GS1000 before.
                  1980 GS1000G - Sold
                  1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                  1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                  1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                  2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                  1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                  2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Ill have to check that out. I have an addiction for big full fairing old touring bikes. I was in the market for a gl1100 wing at the big swap meet out here and oddly last year was the only year there wasnt any for sale. but some how there were 6 gs1100gk's..I have never seen one in person until then. pricing is all over the place on them though, all were in running order and ranged from 800 to 6000.
                    I hear the GK was Suzuki's answer to the GoldWing. Been on the lookout for one myself. There was a black one a while back listed for $1,800 not too far from here, but of course at that time I couldn't scrape up enough cash to grab it. It's funny how certain times multiple GS bikes show up for sale then long periods when theyre scarce. Like last week here and in West Texas there were several GS 750's. I saw a real nice 750 T in Espanola too, so they definitely still can be had.

My 850 is essentially setup like the GK with Vetter fairing and bags. It does fine for my wife and I to take on long day trips or overnight.
                    Roger

Current rides
                    1983 GS 850G
                    2003 FJR 1300A

Comment

I have been keeping an eye out for a 850gl as I am a big fan of ltd style bikes of that time frame. I have a 82 kz750 twin as well. Paulos bike of the month for sept of last year is amazing. Salty thank you I had hoped as much but wanted another person to confirm..99% is good enough for me. Im going to get some pictures up today of it as it sits. No seat on at the moment.

Comment

Right, seat pans are as rare as the truth, and have a high cost.
                        I would buy some fiberglass cloth and epoxy resin, clean off the rust and form the missing parts of the pan.
                        "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                        1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                        1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                        1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

IMG_20200309_164543.jpg

doesnt seem like I can upload more than one..its like a girl at the bar after a few...good from afar and far from good.

Comment

Looks good from my house.

Is that blue tape on the windscreen where you plan to cut it?
                            Roger

Current rides
                            1983 GS 850G
                            2003 FJR 1300A

Comment

This may be the first forum were some one didnt automatically say...use the search function.
                              USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION.

There, somebody had to do it.

Yeah, try the search and get as frustrated as the rest of us.

I know you are missing a letter there, really asking about your GK.

I know for sure it's possible the other way around, as I have installed a 16" wheel on my 850. I imagine there is plenty of room for the 17" wheel on the back of your GK, because the frame is basically the same as the frame on a G.

It will not affect your speedometer accuracy (it's driven off the front wheel), but it WILL lower your engine speed a couple hundred RPM at highway speeds.

sigpic
                              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                              Family Portrait
                              Siblings and Spouses
                              Mom's first ride
                              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                              X