Can I Use Hydraulic Lift on GS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oldGSfan View Post
    I use a 1 ton chain hoist, pretty inexpensive at Harbor Freight.
    When I was in college, I rented one of those ($10) from the shop that sold me a 350 ($150) to replace my Camaro's blown 327. The shop had a huge tree with a strong branch right in front of their door, but I couldn't very well take the tree to my apartment a mile away.

"Do you have a swing set at your complex?" the shop owner asked me. Problem solved.
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

I used similar with a couple of 2x4's on the oil pan but also had a rear wheel stand to provide extra stability.

I also had a removable center stand (trailer pins), but the stand gets the bike further in the air.

Comment

Thanks for your input guys. As always, it helps.
        Ryan

1979 GS850G - currently undergoing a major overhaul
        1986 GSX-R750 - I'm figuring it out

Comment

swing set! I hope I remember that one if the need arises-Mind you, an audience of children might slow any work down. ("What's that, mister?" "Why?" "Can i help?"...)
          Last edited by Gorminrider; 05-01-2020, 10:36 AM.

Comment

I got one of those stand for Christmas one year for my bike. But with exhaust off the bike it works very well. I don't have a center stand anymore. I do have a super bike stand for when I do oil changes.

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
              swing set! I hope I remember that one if the need arises-Mind you, an audience of children might slow any work down. ("What's that, mister?" "Why?" "Can i help?"...)
              I'd never seen them being used. It was a low-rent complex of mostly students and some 'white trash' townies. (There was a sign that said, "Pool" with an arrow, but there was no pool.)

I moved the swings aside and twisted them around the uprights before rolling the Camaro underneath. My friends use to joke that for the rest of the year, kids would use the swings and then be seen trying to wipe the grease off their hands. Somewhere there exists a photo of me swinging on a 350 V-8.
              1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Working...
              X