Cam chain adjuster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cam chain adjuster

Ok here is my story from the beginning, purchased a brand new 1983 GS750T from the local SUZUKI dealer in 1986 for $2800. Canadian. Never ever adjusted the cam chain , I tried a few years ago but could not get the locking screw loose, the nut yes but not the screw . So noticed the top end getting real noisy this year so decided to go all out and remove the unit (cam chain adjuster ) from the bike which was a real bitch to get at , bike was all together carbs on . Bike has 78000 km all original . Took me maybe half an hour to get that locking screw loose had to heat with a propane torch 3x and use liquid wrench, measured rod at 40mm before, after screw loose rod came out to 50mm so I knew there was adjustment left . They say in the manual once cam adjuster is set you never need to touch which is bull*@%^$*@%^$*@%^$*@%^$ that adjuster is locked and when cam chain stretches it does not self adjust ! Any ways cleaned adjuster up and put it in bike adjusted it properly and now engine sounds like new !

I'm the Original owner, purchased new in 1986 for $2,800. TSCC motor TWIN SWIRL COMBUSTION CHAMBER. 4VALVE PER CYLINDER, 4CYLINDER 750CC AIR COOLED, 5 SPEED...

Comment

Well I'd just say if you got the cam chain tensioner off without removing the carbs, you're a better man than I. I think there's a tutorial for cleaning and refurbing them on BikeCliff's.
      Rich
      1982 GS 750TZ
      2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
      Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Don't sound right. That screw isn't supposed to be screwed in against the tensioner plunger. Spring pushes plunger out, to take up slack, then ramp, & spring, won't let plunger push back in unless you turn the little spring loaded wheel on the side. If you want to adjust it manually, let it tighten the slack out, then lock the screw down. but every few thousand miles you'll need to loosen the lock screw to let it tighten itself again. Leave the screw backed out a little & it will keep the slack out automatically.l
        1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Rich
          1982 GS 750TZ
          2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
          Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Like I said, it was tightened down, you can see the mark on the flat part of the rod and rod would not move without loosening screw, which was seized . 76000 KM not bad for never been re adjusted .

Comment

Will be checking it now maybe annually or if she starts making noise again .

Comment

If you've re-installed it right, it should never need re-adjusting during your lifetime.
                ---- Dave
                79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Evidently whoever installed it skipped that one part of the instructions:

Install tensioner to cylinder block. Loosen setscrew to allow plunger to take up slack. Turn setscrew in until it stops, then back off 1/4 to 1/2 turn and lock it in place with the locknut.

For some reason, that part in bold is commonly overlooked.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

That will work just fine, just removes the concept of the automatic cam chain tensioner. In years past, while doing a lot of street racing & hot rodding, I tightened mine down just for the sense of added security. Would be interesting to know how the set screw got tightened down on yours, if you bought the bike new. Go figure.
                    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Maybe the Dealer at first service checked the adjuster, that was the only time I did not service bike myself . Have been working on bikes,sleds and cars since the 1960's, Don't trust recreational dealerships .

Comment

Manual cam chain adjuster are better than auto adjuster because it holds the pressure on chain without always putting spring pressure on chain prematurely stretching chain . My 2003 KLX400R (DRZ400E) had a auto adjuster which I converted to a manual screw style.

Comment

Originally posted by CAPTLIEPS View Post
                          Manual cam chain adjuster are better than auto adjuster because it holds the pressure on chain without always putting spring pressure on chain prematurely stretching chain . My 2003 KLX400R (DRZ400E) had a auto adjuster which I converted to a manual screw style.
                          ...Then you can maybe agree thatjust possibly, the previous owner was using the Automatic Chain adjuster MANUALLY, by simply letting it spring ahead and then locking it there.

Comment

I am the Original OWNER !
                            Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
                            ...Then you can maybe agree thatjust possibly, the previous owner was using the Automatic Chain adjuster MANUALLY, by simply letting it spring ahead and then locking it there.

Comment

Roughly half the GS cam chain tensioners I've encountered in the wild have had the screw tightened all the way.

I always thought it was thumbfingered POs or mechanics, but it's pretty wild to hear that could have been a factory error.
                              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Working...
                              X