Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How far do you ride per day on long trips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How far do you ride per day on long trips?

I am sure it varies greatly, but Im trying to plan som longer trips, and Im thinking I comfortably can do something like 750km/466 miles per day. Maybe that is too short? Or too long for multiple days?
    GS1000G 1981

Originally posted by Noreg View Post
    I am sure it varies greatly, but Im trying to plan som longer trips, and Im thinking I comfortably can do something like 750km/466 miles per day. Maybe that is too short? Or too long for multiple days?
    That's probably close to my average on long, multi-day trips. If I'm just trying to get somewhere and am using major highways, then it can be more, 600-700 miles. If I'm in a very scenic area and I'm stopping a lot, maybe only 300 miles.
    '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

A casual day of riding can easily put 500km under my tires. When I was younger, 800km+ didn't seem like a bad idea.

These days, I don't get out of the city much, but 800+km/day wouldn't be unusual on the 650G. The 550 isn't tolerable for long stretches, and 500km would be around my limit. I'd think 1000km days on a 1000G should be relatively comfortable.

Yoga mileage will vary...seriously. General physical fitness and flexibility is probably the larger factor in how far/how many days in a row you can go.
      '83 GS650G
      '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

I've done 700 mile days, but they suck. Now, in my 50's, with no need to speed and a love of stopping to smell the flowers, I do 250 mile days when on longer trips. I arrive at destinations fresh and ready to go hiking or kayaking or whatever, and am always happy to get back on the bike to buzz out for meals.
        "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
        ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
        1982 CB900f

Comment

A lot depends on where you are going, why you are going there and when you have to be there.

I have often seen it written that "Four lanes are for making time, two lanes are for making memories."

If we are just trying to get somewhere so we can spend a bit of time there, 400-600 miles per day is tiring, but possible. After a couple of those days, we will either be where we want to go or maybe close enough that we can slow down and get there in just part of a day, giving some time to recuperate before starting our sight-seeing the following day.

If we are just meandering along with a general destination and no schedule, a day's ride might range from 150-350 miles. If we are not in a hurry and see something interesting, we stop. Length of stop depends on how interesting it is.

When traveling solo, I have done several 700+ mile days, but that was a single ride to the destination, not consecutive riding days.

If your bike is set up comfortably, you should easily be able to do consecutive days of 500+ km, depending on roads and scenic stuff.

Be sure to work your way up to long-distance riding, don't just hop on the bike and go. Look at a map of your area. Try to find a circle around your place that might be about an hour's ride to the perimeter. Let's say it's about 25 km away. Ride that circle. The perimeter will be just over 150 km. If you ride back home the same way you went out, you will have a total of about 200 km. If you are feeling good, do another lap. Work your way up. The beauty of this method is that if you get tired, you are probably not much more than 25-30 km away from home, if you head back on another road.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Cities slow you down...and burn you out. 500km is about right for me as "pleasant" in the country but 300 km between big cities with fair sized towns studded on the path can be more than enough.

Comment

I generally go by time riding the motorcycle. I can go about 10-12 hours riding time. Sometimes it may take me 10 hours to go 200 miles, sometimes I can go 600 miles. I like to be home or off the highway by sunset. I like going on long rides in June/July because of maximum daylight hours. It gets pretty lonely on interstate 70 in Kansas after sunset... when you're motoring on a 82 850g. Now I'm rambling, I better wind down for bed. 😌
              My Motorcycles:
              22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
              22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
              82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
              81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
              79 1000e (all original)
              82 850g (all original)
              80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

I used to do 500 or 600 miles a day when I was younger. But now I want to look around and make stops along the way and 250 miles allows me to do that........
                Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
                Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
                1983 GS 750

Comment

A string of 450+ mile days will cause dangerous fatigue, so I generally try not to plan on more than two of these in a row.

We all try to avoid the slab, but sometimes you just gotta fast-forward through the flatlands.
                  1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                  2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                  2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Depends, 500-800 miles is common when I'm traveling to distant places. I have done quite a few 1000 mile days and my record is closer to 1200 in a day...
                    I'm with Norm it's all about saddle time. I have a bout 14 hour limit in the saddle at a time, prefer 10-12 hours.
                    Jedz Moto
                    1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                    1988 Honda GL1500-6
                    2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
                    2020 Honda Monkey Z125
                    2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
                    Originally posted by Hayabuser
                    Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Originally posted by storm 64 View Post
                      I generally go by time riding the motorcycle. I can go about 10-12 hours riding time. Sometimes it may take me 10 hours to go 200 miles, sometimes I can go 600 miles. I like to be home or off the highway by sunset. I like going on long rides in June/July because of maximum daylight hours. It gets pretty lonely on interstate 70 in Kansas after sunset... when you're motoring on a 82 850g. Now I'm rambling, I better wind down for bed. 
                      Oh you southerners.

Sunset: 00:21
                      Sunrise: 01:18

That was for today, from tomorrow we have sun all day. Its amazing, I was riding just now, and its like 10pm and sun is still shining brightly.
                      GS1000G 1981

Comment

800 miles in a day, starting early and arriving just before dusk -- but that's on a Goldwing. It depends a lot on the bike. On my V-Strom, probably half that -- and maybe a little more fun.
                        and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
                        __________________________________________________ ______________________
                        2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

I think Steve covered it nicely. There are so many variables, there isn't a specific "correct" answer. Ideal for me is about 6 hours or less a day sitting on the bike and arriving still fresh and crispy to play. lol
                          All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

I did 130 miles today and have to say it was a nice amount of riding. Twice that much would be absolutely enough for the day.
                            "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                            ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                            1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
                              I think Steve covered it nicely. There are so many variables, there isn't a specific "correct" answer.
                              Let's face it, Earl, you and I (along with a few others here) are somewhat "experienced", meaning that we have done this for a few decades and put on a few hundred thousand miles in the process. We have seen most of those variables. We are still around, able to share our experiences.

sigpic
                              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                              Family Portrait
                              Siblings and Spouses
                              Mom's first ride
                              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                              X