Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gas Cap and Seat Lock Tumblers/Keys

Mornin' GSR,

I did a search and found the gent on this forum that re-keys various GS tumblers (Kiwi Canuck), but he's not responding to my PM after about a week.

Anyone else out there re-key and re-tumble these locks?

I've got a '79 GS850G that the PO jammed a flathead in the gas cap and seat lock. Both are buggered up as pictured below. They replaced the ignition with a new aftermarket unit and the key for that is coded AO5. The key says "JINKUN" so assuming that's the brand of ignition that was purchased. I don't need the ignition key to match the gas cap and seat lock keys, but, for functionality and aesthetics, I 'd like for a least those two new tumblers to match. I have a second gas cap (also pictured below) that has a different code on it that I could use too if someone could make a key for it, then match a tumbler to the seat lock (that might be the easiest/cheapest). The gas cap/seat lock set that has the buggered tumblers is 225 and the other gas cap I have that has a working tumbler but no key is 434.

Wondering if you guys could suggest the best way for me to proceed. Thanks!

1979 Suzuki GS850G The Michio Zombie: The Dead is rising and hungry for brains
    1980 Suzuki GS850GT, Collecting these things is a funny new bad habit

If the ignition key physically fits the other two locks, and if you're comfortable with some loss of the laughable "security" provided by the latter two locks, you can remove the tumblers and remove, reorganize and/or file the wafers with the key inserted until they're even with the surface of the tumbler. You need at least one wafer to keep it from opening with a screwdriver. Or just remove all the wafers.

You'll also want to remove or alter the steering stem lock as well. Most of us never use the steering stem locks since they're known to get stuck. It's caused issues at more than one rally.

Similarly, I've had to file down wafers on a few ignition locks on high-mileage bikes to compensate for wear.

There's a seller on fleaBay somewhere who sells new OEM GS keys cut to Suzuki OEM key numbers. (Or maybe he has a big stock of them or something. Not sure.) But if your "master" key is non-OEM, then there's absolutely no telling how that key is cut, and the code won't bear any relation to Suzuki codes.

And of course, another angle would be to simply remove all the locks, take them to a good local locksmith, and explain your dilemma. There's one in Indianapolis I've used many times for weird motorcycle stuff, and she seems to enjoy the challenge. They're a common and very simple type of lock, not alien technology.

You might need to poke around. Some locksmiths don't know much about this sort of thing or don't want to deal with it.
    Last edited by bwringer; 06-26-2020, 04:29 PM.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Thanks for taking the time to post such an informative answer. I haven't tried the local locksmith in my small town and saw a thread here so figured I would reach out to the community in the know. Not too concerned with security but the buggered face of the tumbler is an eye sore to me and worth some love. I might try the sanding approach and have already eliminated the seat lock. Thanks again!
      1979 Suzuki GS850G The Michio Zombie: The Dead is rising and hungry for brains
      1980 Suzuki GS850GT, Collecting these things is a funny new bad habit

Comment

OK finally saw the message, I've PMed you back with my email info.

BTW I can not see the pictures you posted.

David,
        2018 Honda Africa Twin AS
        2013 DR 650 Grey, sold 1981 GS 650E Silver,

1980 GS1000ST Blue & White, X2

2012 DL650 Vstrom Foxy Orange, in storage
        1981 CT110 X2 "Postie Bikes" Gone to a New Home.
        2002 BMW 1150 GS Blue & White - Sold
        1975 BMW R90/6 Black - Sold 1984 GS1150EF Sold
        1982 BMW R100 Africa trip, Stolen - Recovered- Sold
        1977-1980 Suzuki GS550, GS1000E, GS1000S GSX750, GSX1100,s
        Hondas ST90, CR125 CB175 , CB350 CB750, NSU Quickly, Yamaha RD's 350/400,

Comment

Originally posted by Kiwi Canuck View Post
          BTW I can not see the pictures you posted.
          Same here..............
          Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
          '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

DesertRatliff, may I suggest using something else like Flickr or Imgur for hosting your pictures? For whatever reason, Google is not allowing the access for anyone other than you to see them.
            Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Working...
            X