intake pipe repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

intake pipe repair

1981 gs850l ready to re-install the carbs but discovered that on one of the intake pipes the rubber is separating from the aluminum. the rubber itself is fine, not deteriorated, not overly hard at all ... i just need a product that bonds rubber well to aluminum. any ideas ? i have found that most 2 part epoxies work well for bonding like materials, but can't say that i have ever tried it on gluing rubber to aluminum. suggestions most welcome.
    thanks
    joe

I have seen several reports here with the same problem.

Several things were tried, they all ended up replacing the boots.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by BLT View Post
      1981 gs850l ready to re-install the carbs but discovered that on one of the intake pipes the rubber is separating from the aluminum. the rubber itself is fine, not deteriorated, not overly hard at all ... i just need a product that bonds rubber well to aluminum. any ideas ? i have found that most 2 part epoxies work well for bonding like materials, but can't say that i have ever tried it on gluing rubber to aluminum. suggestions most welcome.
      thanks
      joe

Epoxy (JB Weld for example)will not endure. Gasoline breaks the bond. Replacement is the only permanent solution.
      For any adhesive to work, clean surfaces are needed. The induction rubber will have absorbed petroleum contaminants that can not be removed or wiped away because they are IN the rubber.
      Last edited by earlfor; 09-22-2020, 10:45 AM.
      All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

and of course those aren't the answers i wanted to hear ... sigh. adding that to the growing list of parts i need.
        anyone in the vancouver, b.c area selling a parts bike ?

Comment

Originally posted by BLT View Post
          and of course those aren't the answers i wanted to hear ... sigh. adding that to the growing list of parts i need.
          anyone in the vancouver, b.c area selling a parts bike ?
          If I had to make that repair. Loctite epoxy weld is probably the most resistant to gas adhesive. I don't know how long it would last in this application though.
          All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Try Supersport or Bent Bike in Surrey.

There in the same industrial complex.
            GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

thanks, carter. i've been to bent bike, but never to the other guys in that complex. i need a fair number of parts for this bike and i have other priojects to play with, so i think i'll just do what i can with what i have and keep scanning for a donor bike to pop up over the monsoon season.

Comment

There was a resource on here recently with a cheaper version of the intake boots... I can't remember what it was though. Maybe this will jog someone's memory!
                1980 GS1000G - Sold
                1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Try Cruzinimage.net
                  Ron
                  When I die, just cremate me and put me in my GS tank. That way I can go through these carbs, one more time!
                  1978 GS750E - November 2017 BOTM
                  1978 GS1000C - May 2021 BOTM
                  1982 GS1100E - April 2024 BOTM
                  1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

Originally posted by 1978GS750E View Post
                    Try Cruzinimage.net
                    Early reports on CruzinImage stuff are good:

And yes, it's quite true that there are no known ways to repair these once cracked or separated.

And used boots will probably be in even worse shape. Not really worth the effort.

If they're hardened but not cracked or separated, you can make them softer with wintergreen oil. I and others have done this successfully.

But really, get some new ones. You'll be amazed at how the carbs just gently pop into place. Worth every penny.
                    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

well that is interesting; i wasn't expecting them to be available at all, much less at a pretty reasonable price. at first glance it looked like $45 per boot, when in fact it's $45 for the set of 4 INCLUDING o-rings (but not clamps).
                      here's where it gets even more interesting ... they are all over ebay for $18 for 4 boots, 4 o-rings and 4 clamps. the seller that i am looking at is (supposedly) in new jersey, but it's not hard to guess their country of origin. so the question now is ... is Cruzinimage selling the same goods at a normal retail mark-up or do they have a better product ?

Comment

As always with Ebay... you pays your money & takes your chance. They could be the same... they could also be junk
                        1980 GS1000G - Sold
                        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                          As always with Ebay... you pays your money & takes your chance. They could be the same... they could also be junk
                          OR ... they could be the same junk !

anyone tried the Cruzinimage set ?

Comment

Have not tried the Cruzinimage intakes, but have gotten a few sets of piston rings, which seem to be doing fine.

From what I have seen, Cruizinimage is in Japan, not China.

sigpic
                            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                            Family Portrait
                            Siblings and Spouses
                            Mom's first ride
                            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Try parts outlaw, May be a little more expensive but their OEM.
                              Mike

Shop online for OEM Cylinder Head parts that fit your 1981 Suzuki GS850GL, search all our OEM Parts or call at 386-740-2452
                              sigpic1981 gs1000G Black
                              1969 Honda Dream Apart and someday will be painted!

To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism. To steal from many is research.

Comment

Working...
                              X