Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello from Indianapolis IN

Hi All,

I've been hanging around for a few weeks now, thought I might do one of these intro threads finally.

I've been on a motorcycle since I was 15 when my brother and I dragged a ratty free XS400 Special II home in the back of his van to tinker with. One thing lead to another, we soon had a group of friends all astride cheap old UJMs. In the summer of 2008 we ended up riding our raggedy fleet across the US from Ithaca NY to the California coast and back, 39 days on the road, all on back roads/state highways, mostly camped. I was on a barn find beaten-to-death '76 Yamaha XS500C that had been bought for $50 and fixed up. The writeup for that trip is on "advrider" if anyone is curious (https://www.advrider.com/f/threads/c...366117/page-30), though the photos need to be rehosted.

After earning my stripes riding a well-worn 500 twin across the country, I upgraded to a very nice '78 GS1000C that I scored for $950. Gorgeous bike. Rode it a few seasons and (very) regrettably sold it and moved on to other bikes.

Other bikes came and went over the next decade, I had just about stopped riding up until last year, when I was bitten by the bug again. Remembering how much I loved my GS1000, I got my hands on a pair of project bikes: '81 GS1100E and a '79 GS750E. I spent last year and into this year fixing them up slowly.

I finished up the GS750E this spring and ended up selling it, frankly I originally intended to only buy the 1100E and the seller made me an offer I couldn’t refuse. Awesome bike, but IMO functionally my 1100E does everything the 750 does and then some, better.

This past winter, another two project bikes dropped into my lap so to speak: a local scrapper had picked up a pair of old GSes as part of a garage cleanout. Thankfully someone tipped him off that the bikes are worth more than their weight in scrap, so I bought them out of the bed of his rusty S10 for a VERY good price. Amazingly, both bikes are in fantastic cosmetic, complete, low mileage condition. But they have sat since the late 80s and need full going through. I’ve been chipping away at those two now.

Finally and most recently (literally last week), I caved in and bought a nice clean 2002 Bandit 1200 in the “standard/naked” format.

I’ve already gotten so much help from this forum and its members, I plan to make this a long term “home” and look forward to meeting some of you folks at the 2023 Brown County "GS Thang!"
    Last edited by gtem; 06-24-2022, 04:09 PM.
    Previous GS fleet: '78 1000C, '79 750E, '81 650G, '82 1100G, '81 1100E
    Other rides: '77 XS500C, '78 XS1100E, '00 Voyager XII

Nice intro. And I look forward to meeting you in a few weeks if things work out.
    Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Howdy! Thanks for getting in touch! The ADVrider ride report was great, and I look forward to meeting up soon for a ride.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

I read that adv report a couple of years ago.
        Great stuff.
        ---- Dave
        79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
        80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
        79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
        92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Great intro, gtem.
          Welcome to the site.
          2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Awesome history. Welcome to the funhouse.
            sigpic
            When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
            -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
            -Rusty old scooter.
            Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
            https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
            https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Well, you've been hanging around for a while so you should know what you're in for!! Welcome
              1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Wow Nice work on that 750!

Comment

Wait.. what is the brown county gs thang??

Comment

Originally posted by thegspot666 View Post
                    Wait.. what is the brown county gs thang??
                    A long-running GS rally in southern Indiana. Since 2004, I think. I have the honor of being the current "un-organizer" of this shambolic hooraw.

This year's Brown County GS Rally happened a few weeks ago:
                    Would you like to get together with other GS owners for a day trip? How about a rally? Place your request in here. Be sure to include the place and time of your proposed ride in your message.

And yeah, it's actually been based two counties over, in Lawrence County, since I think 2009. Long story, but visits to the twisty roads of Brown County are still a regular feature so we kept the name the same.

Bedford is smack-dab in the middle of all kinds of delightfully twisty roads. Southern Indiana really does contain some fantastic riding.

Anyway, howdy! If you're in Speedway, I'm a few miles north of you, just off the north end of Georgetown Road. And Gtem is a bit further north, in the wilds of Zionsville. We should go ride sometime.
                    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

hey GSpot666, happy to see another local Indy person! Like Brian said, let's ride sometime!

Comment

Welcome to the site. Nice work on all those bikes. The black GS1100 looks fantastic. If you run into an oil burning issue with the Bandit, it is a common problem with that era of Bandits. I had an '01 that burned oil. Replacing the pistons with those from the earlier variety will fix the problem.
                        Current Bikes:
                        2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Originally posted by ddaniels View Post
                          Welcome to the site. Nice work on all those bikes. The black GS1100 looks fantastic. If you run into an oil burning issue with the Bandit, it is a common problem with that era of Bandits. I had an '01 that burned oil. Replacing the pistons with those from the earlier variety will fix the problem.
                          I'm definitely aware of the oil burning issue, I will say at my current rate of riding, I doubt I will even notice as I will struggle to put so much as 1000 miles on this thing per riding season I suspect. Most of my motorcycle hobby seems to revolve moreso around wrenching on the old ones, with some short local rides and if I'm lucky a few short tours a year.

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post

Anyway, howdy! If you're in Speedway, I'm a few miles north of you, just off the north end of Georgetown Road. And Gtem is a bit further north, in the wilds of Zionsville. We should go ride sometime.

Ah man, that sounds like a rad time! Kinda bummed I missed out on it. We should definitely ride sometime

Comment

Working...
                            X