Hello from Southern England

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GS400B View Post
    Rob - yes, definitely a common thing over here in the 70s - a number of accessory companies made them for a good selection of bikes - the manufacturers themselves also joined in. Whether the bars did any good if you dropped your bike is up for discussion! I'm not sure there was a set for the rear of the 400, but I will look out for them.

I had a rear crash bars on my '76 GT380- very early one winter morning had my leg trapped between the crash bar and rear indicator after sliding off on ice (this often happened) - couldn't move... but was rescued by the milkman.
    -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

Yes^^ ...hahha i shouldn't laugh but I can picture it .Even the three-supported bars can fold back.(similar story HERE but with boggy road and no milkman)

Comment

Originally posted by allojohn View Post

I had a rear crash bars on my '76 GT380- very early one winter morning had my leg trapped between the crash bar and rear indicator after sliding off on ice (this often happened) - couldn't move... but was rescued by the milkman.
        We had to read that in high school - The Milkman Cometh.
        1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Cosmetic refurb is progressing, with the repaired/re-upholstered seat being the last piece to be returned and fitted last night. Raised handlebars make a big difference to the riding position and overall look of the bike, so I'm happy with that. After I've checked a few engine/fuel related items, I'll be ready to take it out for a proper test ride. Still can't make my mind up about that rear rack, but I do now have a set of front engine protector bars, so maybe still go down the 'front/rear bars+rack' route as was the fashion in the 70s if I can find a rear set.

Hope it goes as good as it looks (IMO, anyway!) ...

image1 (32)a.jpg

Comment

Yes, the seat and bars look much better now. If you are going to change out brake lines, might as well go with steel braided lines.
            Current Bikes:
            2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

hi DD - yes I did that as part of the rebuild. Used HEL black coated braided steel lines - with the raised bars, I needed a longer one for the top half of the system anyway. Overhauled the m/cyl too - it was pretty gunged up.
              The m/cyl overhaul kit wasn't cheap either (£50) - twice the cost of most other overhaul kits for various bikes. Still, can't skimp on this - not unless you want to take an unplanned trip through a hedge!

Comment

First proper road test today - rides and handles very well, better than the CB360 I've got here - quicker too.
                Last piece of the jigsaw has been ordered up - an OEM front mudguard. That one on the bike is a universal replacement type, so its got to go.
                The replacement will need rechroming - more expense! This had all better be worth it!

Comment

And here she is with the new mudguard fitted - very pleased with how its coming along (but don't ask how much the re-chroming cost! ).

image0 (62)a.jpg

Comment

So, how much does re-chroming cost?
                    Rich
                    1982 GS 750TZ
                    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Wowee! (haha-right-don't want to know how much chrome cost! Need nag: watch out on the insides of fenders...I keep mine heavily and as toughly painted since I saw rust coming up through chrome..)

Comment

Not gon'na ask what it cost, just want to compliment on how good it looks... Great job.
                        1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Nice looking bike, Andy.
                          2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Well, my wife says a fool and his money are easily parted...

so, here's the fool's latest acquisition !

how nice - not one, but TWO of them in the garage!
                            Attached Files

Comment

Even numbers are unlucky, better get a third one!

Congrats on the new ride.
                              Are those Jama pipes?
                              2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

The bike is a cream puff. I wouldn't do anything to it except ride and maintain it.

Comment

Working...
                                X