New (to me) 850 in the garage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New (to me) 850 in the garage

Well...I haven't posted lately because I have made little progress on my project lately. I've been busy with my DL650 (some wrenching...mostly riding).

Anyway...this came home today and thought I would share! It had three owners - the first two were brothers who had it since new (maybe someone here? I think it was in MN). From what I can tell, it's all original except the bars and mirrors - the originals came with the bike, but I think I would need all new cables, etc., to get the old bars back on. I told myself I wouldn't buy a bike until the project was ready, but I couldn't resist this beauty.

Drew

1981 GS650L (one step at a time...lots to do)
    1994 Honda Shadow VLX (for sale in spring)
    2011 Suzuki DL650

That's a nice looking 850. Congratulations
    Larry

'79 GS 1000E
    '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
    '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
    '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
    '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Great looking bike.
      Congrats on the new ride.
      2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Good looker. Congrats. There was a member here a few years ago who did a beautiful restoration on one that looked vey similar to that which he later sold.
        sigpic
        When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
        -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
        -Rusty old scooter.
        Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
        https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Maybe this is the one! However, it seems to have the original protective layer on the engine covers - i.e., it doesn’t look like they have been polished.

It sounded like the original owner had it for many years and then the brother. The guy I bought it from didn’t put many miles on it. He did tell me that one of the studs for the oil filter cover is stripped, so that needs attention right away. Also I’m not sure if he checked valve clearances so that’s on the list. Fortunately, that’s one of the things I have done already on the 650.

There is a short crack in the front fender. I’m thinking about taking it off and applying some JB Weld to the backside to keep it from spreading, but I haven’t started looking into that one yet for other solutions.
          Drew

2011 Suzuki DL650

Comment

Great looking bike.
            1986 1150EF
            2008 GS1250SEA

Comment

From here, that "Bike" looks great,...Handlebars & mirrors...no comment... Congrats.
              1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

I think we just need more pics, different angles and such.
                Larry

'79 GS 1000E
                '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
                '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
                '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
                '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Yep, need more pictures of "'The Bike"' with less pictures of the bars & mirrors, I saw too much of them in the first picture... Of course, just my opinion.
                  1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Ha…will get some pics with less bars! After a closer look tonight, I’m thinking there may be enough slack in the cables and such to get the old handlebars back on. I plan to put s.s. brake lines on either way.

Speaking of brakes, I was not prepared for how good the brakes could be on a 39-yr-old bike. I thought they would be soft, but the feel of those brakes puts my 2011 V-strom to shame!
                    Drew

2011 Suzuki DL650

Comment

Awesome looking bike!!! That is the best color!! It is an 83, Correct?
                      83 gs850
                      07 vtx1300c

Comment

Yep! It’s an ‘83.
                        Drew

2011 Suzuki DL650

Comment

Very nice. Congrats!
                          Current Bikes:
                          2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Oh! Oh ! Nice !

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                            GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

It's the fastest color, a "Cosmos Blue" 1983 GS850G.

I don't think mine has ever looked that good, even when I bought it 25 years ago.

This shot from 2007 may be about the best it's ever looked:

But with a little attention, they sure do work well. And yes, the brakes can be made to work very well.
                              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Working...
                              X