Old Member Back After Many Years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old Member Back After Many Years

Signing back up for the GSResources after I am guessing at least 15 years. Finally retired from the Air Force and picked up my 83 GS1100E that has been sitting in a garage since 2006. From what I remember the resources was great “resource” of information and I am ready to start a restoration. If there is anyone in the Oklahoma City area, please message me.

Welcome back. Did you forget? We need pictures. And thank you for your service.
    Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Yeah, all he ^^^^^ said plus were you Samelak back then?
      1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

There's a blast from the past!
        Hi ya, Lee. Still messing with the CBX as well?
        2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Paging chuck hahn He's in Norman, and spins more GS wrenches than just about anyone else here...
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Welcome back. I didn't realize that I too belonged to this forum around 15 years ago, under a different name I don't remember what it was, but it was so chock full of idiots, after 6 months, I couldn't take it any more. It seems to have shaken off 98% of them, I can't say 100%, after all, you have me as a member.

Comment

Suzukian, Don't click on the VORTEX, those 98% may possibly still be lurking there.
              1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
                There's a blast from the past!
                Hi ya, Lee. Still messing with the CBX as well?
                Absolutely…the CBX is with JR up in Michigan in the final months of restoration. My last tour in Okinawa really took a toll on the metal. I restored the frame, wheels and other bits. JR handled the engine and carbs. Plus his painter took care of the body. Should have it back to me early next year when the weather allows.

My GS1100E is next up for restoration. Should be a fairly easy restoration…only 29K miles and garage kept. The biggest problem to tackle is the oil blowing from the heads. A bike shop back in 05/06 recommended Amsoil. Put that in and immediately started spraying oil out the front. I’m hoping someone local can hep with a top end teardown since I have not that type of work yet.

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
                  Yeah, all he ^^^^^ said plus were you Samelak back then?
                  Not 100% sure but pretty confident it was. If not, would have been LSamelak

Comment

I responded to your PM...
                    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Last year a guy posted a CBX for sale 10 minutes from my Brother in law in Stonington Ct. for $2200 dollars. My brother in law went down there with cash in hand. There sitting in an air conditioned garage, was a CBX with 10K miles on it, that needed to have the carbs rebuilt. I had the full factory fairing and bags, a 6 into 1 big bucks exhaust,, Corbin seat, and all the original parts, bagged. He purchased it as quickly as he could. He got it home, dusted it off, and it looks like it came off the factory floor. I was shocked. A naked one sold for $45K last year at Mecum Auto Auctions. They are out there, if you have the bucks, you have to move fast. I like my Kawasaki ZZR1200 better to be honest, and mine only has 4375 miles on it, I paid $2400 for it. Very clean bike.

That's going to be one beautiful CBX, and worth a lot of money too!

Try and find out if that Suzuki has had the crank welded, because if it hasn't, you will need to pull the engine apart to get it done. That has to be the nicest color combo I've see on that bike.

I have a forum of 52K members. I would never allow such a Hell hole for scum to congregate, and take up my precious resources. I can understand asking for money to help run a website, but I wouldn't give a dime while that exists. So I offer my time and advice.

Comment

Thinking Suzuki welded all the 4V 1100 &1150's crankshafts from mid "82" till the end of the roller bearing cranks in "86". Thinking they may have left one journal not welded. Hoping for verification.
                        Last edited by rphillips; 12-03-2022, 11:03 AM.

Comment

If it's an 83 11E, it's welded. But what's under the front of that gray 83? A little scoop fairing? But what are those cooling fins under the front right?
                          1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                            If it's an 83 11E, it's welded. But what's under the front of that gray 83? A little scoop fairing? But what are those cooling fins under the front right?
                            I believe those things that look like cooling fins are Suzuki Engine case guards. I’ve only seen them once before. Apparently very rare. I wouldn’t mind having a set. Of course, I could be wrong.
                            Rich
                            1982 GS 750TZ
                            2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                            Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

The scoop was something I put on but those engine guards came with the bike when I purchased it. Not sure if they were a Suzuki option…most likely aftermarket back in the day. They are aluminum.
                              Last edited by Samelak; 12-03-2022, 07:32 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X